Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:52:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting fees  (Read 1454 times)
smiles (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 12:56:58 AM

Is there a way to set the fee as a per/byte value, instead of absolute? or is there a way to see the transaction size?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ekholm

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 12:59:12 AM

Is there a way to set the fee as a per/byte value, instead of absolute? or is there a way to see the transaction size?

I thought armory's txfees were dynamic?
smiles (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:39:09 AM

I thought armory's txfees were dynamic?

Based on what calculation?  I'd like to use the recommendation from 21.co
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 01:54:59 AM

Based on what calculation?  I'd like to use the recommendation from 21.co
Armory uses the fee from Bitcoin Core's estimatefee RPC function or the one that you set in the transaction. I'm pretty sure it will use whichever is higher.

It should never contact a third party for any information whatsoever.

smiles (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 09:03:44 PM

I will take this to mean the answer to both questions is NO.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 09:24:08 PM

I will take this to mean the answer to both questions is NO.

hey, no need to get upset. Stick to smiles Smiley

Vires in numeris
smiles (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 06:42:37 PM

I'm not upset, frustrated is more like it.  I can't be the only person that wants to be able to set appropriate manual fees.  I'm sure the software must calculate the size of the transaction, why isn't this available to me?  Is this a technical limitation of some sort?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 06:56:19 PM

I'm not upset, frustrated is more like it.  I can't be the only person that wants to be able to set appropriate manual fees.  I'm sure the software must calculate the size of the transaction, why isn't this available to me?  Is this a technical limitation of some sort?

You already know you can use 21.co to choose the level of fee appropriate to your priorities for a given transaction, it's written in one of your posts up the page.

You're finding things to complain about for the sake of complaining, not because you need help. That makes you a troll. Don't troll.

Vires in numeris
smiles (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 06:59:58 PM

Ok I'm obviously missing something then.  So tell me, if 21.co tells me the best fee is 60 satoshi/byte, how do I use that information to set the fee in Armory?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 07:11:02 PM

That'll be 60 satoshis multiplied by 255 bytes then (assuming you're not using > about 5 inputs/outputs)

Vires in numeris
lolxxxx
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 07:17:47 PM

For me i can only tell you that you can't predict the transactions size before sending it .
But i can tell you how it somehow works ,

2 outputs= 0.0002 fees
4 outputs-  0.0004 fees

and so on , So far this method is the best one for me , Also if the transaction has only one output never put transaction fees lower then 0.0002 . Use blockchain.info new version it sets the fees automatically and mostly times the fees is perfect according to the size of transaction .
smiles (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 07:24:36 PM

For me i can only tell you that you can't predict the transactions size before sending it .

Ah, a real answer that may fill in the gap.  So a fee can't be calculated, it can only be guessed.  Strange but thank you.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 07:31:09 PM

Don't troll this sub board

Vires in numeris
Stroto

Activity: 449
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 04:38:18 PM

He is not trolling imo. I have asked the same question a few times.

I finally figured out (or better, was told) that if you make an unsiged tx, then sign it, then check the raw tx before broadcasting you can see what size it will be.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 05:37:10 PM

And you were far more polite, not to mention believable. It's possible it's not a troll, I can accept that, but it's not difficult to end up with false positives on the troll front, we're literally inundated with them on bitcointalk.

I'm sorry if you're frustrated smiles, except, I'm not. It is not appropriate to behave as if the people that could help you are being negligent to your plight; would you help someone who allowed their temper to overwhelm them? Getting involved can be a bad decision for any that might be able to help, so just remember: there is an amount of time before you finish typing and hitting the send button. Use it to review what you wrote, in light of what you really want.

Vires in numeris
smiles (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 09:07:00 PM

I finally figured out (or better, was told) that if you make an unsiged tx, then sign it, then check the raw tx before broadcasting you can see what size it will be.

Awesome suggestion thanks, I'll check it out.
ngenko

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 09:03:46 AM

He is not trolling imo. I have asked the same question a few times.

sounds like this is what I want to know.
Can you elaborate on this?

My point is that I would like to automate some payments, but I cannot know in advance how many unspend output will be used by the transaction.
As far as I understood, the outputs will be reused following the "first in, first out" policy, and I would like to deduce the transaction fees from the transaction.

so for a given amount, I should make an unsiged tx, sign it and check the raw tx size.
then, compute the amount of fee that I want to spend.
and make another transaction with the appropriate transaction fee.

right?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: