Bitcoin Forum
October 07, 2024, 07:17:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin stuck in blockchain...help!!  (Read 817 times)
ConfusedBoy (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:41:05 AM

Ok, sorry if this is the wrong thread. I'm new here and new to btc in general. I recently purchased some qpay pins through libertyx and redeemed them to my electrum wallet via Android app. It's been about 10hrs and 78 confirmations now and coin is still pending in my wallet. Is this something with blockchain or something i'm/i've doing/done wrong on my end? Is my coin stuck in limbo forever? Please help!!
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6843

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 01:47:38 AM

First, don't panic. Your coins are safe so long as you don't do anything stupid like delete your electrum wallet.

Since the coins already have confirmations, you just need to get your wallet synced. In the lower right hand corner of Electrum, you should see either a green or red circle. If you hover your mouse over it, it should say "Network".

If it is red, then you are not synced. Click the circle and it will open up another window. Choose one of the many servers listed there to connect to then click OK. It should be working on syncing. Once it is synced the circle should turn green and you should see that your Bitcoins are no longer pending.

If it is green, then you may have another problem. Click the circle and it will open up another window. Check that the number of blocks at the top by the label "Blockchain" is the same as the number of blocks as reported by various block explorers such as blockchain.info, blocktrail.com, or blockr.io. If it is different, select another server to connect to and hit OK to let it sync.

ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 02:03:07 AM

I'm using the Android app though. There are no red or green circles at bottom of screen. Could I downloaded electrum wallet onto my laptop and access it through that using my seed?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 02:11:10 AM

I'm using the Android app though. There are no red or green circles at bottom of screen.
In that case, it should say at the top "Not connected" if you aren't connected. If you tap the three dots and then hit settings then Network, it should tell you how far it has synced in the blockchain. Make sure that that matches with what block explorers report.

Could I downloaded electrum wallet onto my laptop and access it through that using my seed?
If you want to, it's probably easier to use.

ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 02:20:08 AM

Ok I go to network and it says:
Connected to 8 nodes
Blockchain length: 385055 blocks
Server: ecdsa.net
Auto connect (its checked)
"If auto connect is checked the address server will be selected automatically."

Anything useful there??
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 02:37:09 AM

Ok I go to network and it says:
Connected to 8 nodes
Blockchain length: 385055 blocks
Server: ecdsa.net
Auto connect (its checked)
"If auto connect is checked the address server will be selected automatically."

Anything useful there??
Yeah, you are way behind. The current blockchain length is 404765. You should uncheck auto connect and tap the button next to Server. Then choose another server from the list and then tap OK. You may need to restart the app by double tapping back and then opening the app again.

ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 02:50:56 AM

I think (fingers crossed) it went through 85confs later. In my history it used to say "not verified" with my pending coin amount in green. Now instead of "not verified" theres a check mark and the date and time. When I click the details tab it now gives me the option to label it and status now says 85 confirmations.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 02:54:44 AM

I think (fingers crossed) it went through 85confs later. In my history it used to say "not verified" with my pending coin amount in green. Now instead of "not verified" theres a check mark and the date and time. When I click the details tab it now gives me the option to label it and status now says 85 confirmations.
Yup. It should be fixed now. The transaction had already gone through a while ago, whenever it got its first confirmation. It is just that your wallet was not fully synced so it didn't know about the transaction. Now that it is, it does not about the transaction and you can spend from it. You should now be able to spend that Bitcoin and receive more without any issue.

ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 03:00:41 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I was trying not to be "that guy" freaking out but it's hard with money floating around in limbo. One more question and I'll get out of your hair..I plan on moving it to a 2nd electrum wallet on my computer. Should I add a little extra to the miners fee to move it along faster?
uncaer9

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 03:03:13 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I was trying not to be "that guy" freaking out but it's hard with money floating around in limbo. One more question and I'll get out of your hair..I plan on moving it to a 2nd electrum wallet on my computer. Should I add a little extra to the miners fee to move it along faster?

of course yess...
if you want to get faster confirmation i suggest you to give big fee maybe 100ksatosi is enough. some day ago i tried it, send 0.1 with fee 100.000 satoshi and my transaction confirmed in 5minute

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀                 ▀████▄
   ▄███▀
  ▄██▀
 ▄██▀   ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██▀    ████████▀▀   ▀▀████████
███     ██████▀  ██▄▄   ▀██████     ███
███     ██████   ██████  ██████     ███
███     ██████▄  ██▀▀   ▄██████     ███
▀██▄    ████████▄▄   ▄▄████████    ▄██▀
 ▀██▄   ▀█████████████████████▀   ▄██▀
  ▀██▄                           ▄██▀
   ▀███▄                       ▄███▀
     ▀████▄                 ▄████▀
       ▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
           ▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀
PUREVIDZ█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
[][████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄               ▄█████▄   ▄▄
██▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄        ▄█████████████▀
▀█████▄▄     ████████████▀
 ▀██████████▄████████████
█████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████████
   ███████████████████
    ▀▀██████████████▀
     ▄▄███████████▀
▀███████████████▀
  ▀▀████████▀▀
]█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 11:46:19 AM

if you want to get faster confirmation i suggest you to give big fee maybe 100ksatosi is enough. some day ago i tried it, send 0.1 with fee 100.000 satoshi and my transaction confirmed in 5minute
This is bad advice. You could include 1 million Satoshi and your fee might still be low. This is because two things are important here:
1) Recommended fee per byte. This tends to change and it is currently at 50 satoshis/byte [1].
2) Size of the transaction. The size of the tx will be: 180 bytes per input + 34 bytes per output +- 10 bytes per in [2].

[1] Bitcoin fees - https://bitcoinfees.21.co/
[2] Transaction size - http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1195/how-to-calculate-transaction-size-before-sending

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hgamezoom

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 11:48:45 AM

You need to remember with bitcoin there is no need to panic because either everything is fine, or your coins are gone. There really is no grey area.
ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 12:17:55 PM

This is bad advice. You could include 1 million Satoshi and your fee might still be low. This is because two things are important here:
1) Recommended fee per byte. This tends to change and it is currently at 50 satoshis/byte [1].
2) Size of the transaction. The size of the tx will be: 180 bytes per input + 34 bytes per output +- 10 bytes per in [2].

[1] Bitcoin fees - https://bitcoinfees.21.co/
[2] Transaction size - http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1195/how-to-calculate-transaction-size-before-sending

Yeah, I may be new to all this but I thought that sounded a little off. I have a new problem/question now. My coin showed up in my wallet but its still going through confirmations in blockchain. What's this mean?
ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 12:45:23 PM

You need to remember with bitcoin there is no need to panic because either everything is fine, or your coins are gone. There really is no grey area.

I know they're not gone, just trying to figure out how to snatch them out of limbo.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 01:59:12 PM

Yeah, I may be new to all this but I thought that sounded a little off. I have a new problem/question now. My coin showed up in my wallet but its still going through confirmations in blockchain. What's this mean?
Confirmations are the number of blocks built on top of the block your transaction is included in with 1 confirmation meaning that the block your transaction is in is the most recent block. As the blockchain grows, the number of confirmations will increase indefinitely. After about 2 confirmations, your transaction is fairly safe as it is unlikely that the block it is in will be orphaned and thus potentially reversed. After 6, your transaction is pretty much guaranteed to not be able to be reversed (although this guarantee really happens around 2 or 3 confirmations.)

ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 02:42:34 PM

Confirmations are the number of blocks built on top of the block your transaction is included in with 1 confirmation meaning that the block your transaction is in is the most recent block. As the blockchain grows, the number of confirmations will increase indefinitely. After about 2 confirmations, your transaction is fairly safe as it is unlikely that the block it is in will be orphaned and thus potentially reversed. After 6, your transaction is pretty much guaranteed to not be able to be reversed (although this guarantee really happens around 2 or 3 confirmations.)

So that number will just keep going and going? When I search my wallet on blockchain.info it doesn't have the confirmations at the bottom like it did in the beginning. But if I use one of the tools (cant remember which) itll show the confs and on my app as well.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 03:52:51 PM

So that number will just keep going and going? When I search my wallet on blockchain.info it doesn't have the confirmations at the bottom like it did in the beginning. But if I use one of the tools (cant remember which) itll show the confs and on my app as well.
Yes. It depends on the software and service whether to show the confirmations. Blockchain.info stops showing them after 120 confirmations I think.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 04:00:22 PM

Yes. It depends on the software and service whether to show the confirmations. Blockchain.info stops showing them after 120 confirmations I think.
Since you've already answered the questions, I will just add one small suggestion for OP. I highly recommend switching to a desktop based client (e.g. Electrum). This will generally improve your user experience in addition to you acquiring more knowledge over time.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me directly, otherwise please lock the thread to prevent spam (lower left corner of the screen).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ConfusedBoy (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 04:41:06 PM

Since you've already answered the questions, I will just add one small suggestion for OP. I highly recommend switching to a desktop based client (e.g. Electrum). This will generally improve your user experience in addition to you acquiring more knowledge over time.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me directly, otherwise please lock the thread to prevent spam (lower left corner of the screen).

Yes, I definitely plan on moving my coin to my electrum wallet in TAILS. I now see the app is too unstable for my comfort. Are there any easy reads for noobs that explain all this dumbed down that you can recommend? Thank you very much for your time and help. Thread locked.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: