Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:58:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about rigs and what setup is needed for 5830s--is this setup ok?  (Read 1241 times)
Icy- (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:00:12 PM

I'm pretty good when it comes to computers, but as for building them, I've only done it once with step by step instructions from someone on AIM.

Basically I would like to know if this is ALL I NEED to get a rig up and going.

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/9104/lolw.gif

Of course I will also be getting four 5830s and I already have a monitor/harddrive/mouse/keyboard, and I'm pretty sure you don't need a box..?

I want to make sure that this is all I need and nothing more, those are the cheapest CPUs, motherboards, ect. that I could find--is that okay? Someone also said I needed a 800W powersupply, so I found the cheapest I could find on that, is that okay?

I just would like to get the most out of my graphic cards and from what I understand the other parts can be dirt cheap and not effect the speed of which I collect the bitcoins..

Sorry if I sound like a total nube. All help is much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:04:40 PM

770 is a pretty stable chip-set, no need for so much ram, you likely can get one 2GB module for much cheaper.

That is if you only intend to mine, not game.

Also 5830's are a bit hard to come by now, they were originally introduced in 2009 so don't expect new batches, may want to pick those up quick if you have a source.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:09:27 PM

Recertified PSU is a bad idea. In fact cheaping out on the power providing component of a computer that will be running full blast 24/7 is a bad idea in general.

You might also have some trouble running 4 5830s on that motherboard since it only has 3 PCI-E slots.

Oh and you also would have to use PCI-E extenders/risers since all the PCIE slots are next to each other.
Icy- (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:13:33 PM

Recertified PSU is a bad idea. In fact cheaping out on the power providing component of a computer that will be running full blast 24/7 is a bad idea in general.

You might also have some trouble running 4 5830s on that motherboard since it only has 3 PCI-E slots.

Oh and you also would have to use PCI-E extenders/risers since all the PCIE slots are next to each other.

How do you tell how many slots it holds? I don't see that information.

Thank you.
Icy- (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:14:38 PM

Also 5830's are a bit hard to come by now, they were originally introduced in 2009 so don't expect new batches, may want to pick those up quick if you have a source.

Doesn't that mean they have newer models then? I don't really understand the crave for 5830s if they have newer ones that would be better...?

If you could explain this concept to me I'd be very grateful. Thanks!
bcpokey

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:16:43 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=BIOSTAR+A770E3

No offense but you really need to do some basic research of the components you plan to buy. I mean I enjoy helping people (and I'm sure others do too) but we're not getting paid to be your personal mining consultants. Most info is already there if you look for it.
Icy- (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:23:34 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=BIOSTAR+A770E3

No offense but you really need to do some basic research of the components you plan to buy. I mean I enjoy helping people (and I'm sure others do too) but we're not getting paid to be your personal mining consultants. Most info is already there if you look for it.

I did do basic research, then posted it here on the forum, thats what its here for, no?

If you don't want to help then you don't need to reply.
bcpokey

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:33:12 PM

You did the basic research but you had no idea how many PCIE slots were on the motherboard you were planning to buy? No, just no.

And I've already helped you a number of times despite the fact that you've clearly done absolutely no work on your own other than creating about 10 threads in the last day asking for help on every basic aspect of mining. If you feel that you have the right to ask a billion questions without doing any work on your own, then I have the right to shoot you down and point out how annoying and irresponsible that is. If you don't want me to reply in such a manner then act in a way that will not prompt such a response.
Icy- (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:37:22 PM

You did the basic research but you had no idea how many PCIE slots were on the motherboard you were planning to buy? No, just no.

And I've already helped you a number of times despite the fact that you've clearly done absolutely no work on your own other than creating about 10 threads in the last day asking for help on every basic aspect of mining. If you feel that you have the right to ask a billion questions without doing any work on your own, then I have the right to shoot you down and point out how annoying and irresponsible that is. If you don't want me to reply in such a manner then act in a way that will not prompt such a response.

Actually I've read DOZENS of pages including the whole wiki page. And like I stated, I didn't see where newegg had the spec for that as I have already looked. I could have possibly overlooked something, which I did, which is why I post my questions on this forum to confirm making sure everything is correct.

Don't help me then bitch at me for doing it, just move on if you feel annoyed that I'm wasting your time.
stapler117

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:57:46 PM

I'm going to assume this is a dedicated mining rig. For mining, you don't need more than 1 gig of ram.

Good luck finding 5830's cheaply. For now you may want to get 5770's if this is your first rig or 5850, 5870 if you can snag them on a good deal.

With the psu, I completely agree. Get at least a 1000W one from a decent brand like pc power and cooling. they have a good deal on newegg for $150 last time i checked

With the motherboard, look at the details page and look for the number of pcie x16 slots and pcie x1 slots. or just look at the picture and count. There is a guy in the forums who sells 1x to 16x extender cables. or go his website https://cablesaurus.com/

And no, a case is not necessary. Its a running joke that pizza cases are used as cases for rigs to save money. personally, I've
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:42:14 AM

Doesn't that mean they have newer models then? I don't really understand the crave for 5830s if they have newer ones that would be better...?

If you could explain this concept to me I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Yes, there are better models out now.. however they have been tweaked more for their primary purpose: gaming, reducing their mining output. The only reason the 5000 series are good for mining is because of the low price (old models) and the high number of shader ALU's which perform the math required for bitmining to work.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: