Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:30:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked Poloniex account along with others  (Read 672 times)
pepo930 (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 03:30:47 PM

My Poloniex account got hacked yesterday.
I had ~0.75 BTC there which isn't much to most of you but I've been mining and trading hard for the last 30 days to get them and they also cost as much as a minimum wage job where I live.
The coins were sent to this address: 1A5uGQBHBMRmY7Kq3DAG1spLgmhXpUvW6k
The amount sent was 0.74239689 BTC

I didn't have 2FA authentication enabled on the account, something that I regret now.
Lesson: Always use 2FA authentication

After the withdrawal request on the exchange, my email got hacked, which had a strong password and the hacker/s confirmed the withdrawal request.
After that they tried to access my blockchain.info account and also tried to access the email associated with it but thankfully Google blocked the IP because it was from an unusual location.

The hacks were made from these two IP addresses (they're probably proxies):
88.150.147.218 - United Kingdom
62.102.148.173 - Sweden

I have no idea how they got all my passwords, I use a Windows 10 machine with AVAST and Malwarebytes installed.
Ironically enough I had done a full system scan a few hours before the hack and everything was clean.

I feel really shitty right now although there have been people who have lost much more in the same way.
Remember to always use 2FA authentication, strong passwords and a good anti virus.
bleachedno

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 03:58:13 PM

Did you use the same password on any other website?

And yes this 2 ip's are tor exit nodes i am sorry for your lost expensive leason but now you know always use 2FA

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Cryptology
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 04:22:53 PM

Unless you were using the same weak password for everything seems likely your computer is compromised.
pepo930 (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 04:52:26 PM

They probably got the email and the exchange password from a user account dump but the passwords used on the actual emails were never used on forums or websites.
Anyway, I've changed the passwords on all my important accounts and made a new wallet since the old one is probably compromised.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: