Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:22:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would like to start a bitcoin motherboard pros and cons thread  (Read 2274 times)
AreYouCereal (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:06:45 PM

Hi all you miners.

I've been lurking here for a day or two now and think I have put together enough information to build my first rig in the coming week.
It's nice to see so many people here offering advice and helping each other out. I wouldn't have the first idea about putting together a rig if it wasn't for all the information I've got from the post's here.

The one thing I had some confusion on and one that I don't think there is a common consensus on is the suitability of motherboards
(pro's cons, reliability problems you can only be aware off after you buy it.)

I had the idea to start this after I found out from a comment in a thread on someone else's proposed rig that the motherboard they were going to buy (same as one I was going to use too) have a tendency of turning off some of your PCIE slots when others are in use.

This is the board: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131363R

I was thinking what would be useful was if we posted details and feedback on boards you are using be it for a two, three or four card rig along with what is required to get the cards installed and running such as riser cables/ pci-e x1 adapter cables and even power on switches

I'm sure to a lot of you regular and technically minded people here this might seem like something you take for granted but I'd say I've crawled over 50 threads to learn everything I need to know about boards and which one to get.

Let me know what you think of the idea anyway or maybe it's been done already and somehow I missed it Cheesy
Also if anyone has any ideas about format/what info should be presented do tell me as after all I'm only learning and don't pretend to know it all

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AreYouCereal (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:07:05 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 09:35:11 PM by AreYouCereal

4 Card rig motherboards

MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboards+-+AMD-_-MSI-_-13130274

Will hold 4 HD 5850 cards without risers or modifying the slots or buying adapters

A little expensive at pretty much $200

MSI 990FXA-GD80
http://www.techpowerup.com/146070/MSI-990FXA-GD80-Socket-AM3+-Motherboard-Detailed.html

Will hold 4 HD 5850 cards without risers or modifying the slots or buying adapters

BIOSTAR TA890FXE AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138193&Tpk=BIOSTAR%20TA890FXE

Price :$140
2 x16 1 x8 and 1 x1 slots so will need to file out the end of the x8 and x1 to use 4 cards.
gigabyte GA-990FXA

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
AreYouCereal (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:36:30 PM

If people could give the name and feedback on the cards they are using I can add details to the list and then we can have a mighty motherboard reference thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: