Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:12:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just lost 190 bitcoins through Mt. Gox  (Read 6837 times)
TimJBenham

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 04:06:12 AM

Bank fraud guarantees don't cost the banks that much. In the great majority of cases they suck the money back and the guy left holding the bag is some innocent merchant who made the mistake of selling BTC, bullion or sought after consumer goods for a bank transfer. They arbitrarily transfer the loss from the persons who were in the best position to prevent it, the account holder and the bank, to someone with almost no means to defend himself. They are not an act of generosity and they do not make the online economy a better place.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 04:11:43 AM

Tons I have lost tons of money. You cant reason with these guys they are under the bitcoin spell. Most people wont touch bitcoin and it is because it is not safe or stable. I personally think the btc community needs a reality check. The masses will not adopt btc it is harder to use and get. It has to be easy and safe anyone can see that! blaming the user or customer how has that worked for you in the past Holiday? This community looks at new users as scammers I look at them as clients.  Smiley

You are the one refusing to listen to reason, in various threads.

Bitcoin is volatile. It's a new, disruptive, voluntary currency. Price discovery is going to take some time, not measured in days or months, but years and decades. If this concerns you, perhaps the free market is something you should avoid!

The Bitcoin protocol is quite safe. Coin security currently depends on the user. This can, and will, change in time. Smart businessmen will find ways to protect inept users and they will line their pockets in the process.

Ultimately in life, regardless of the protections provided by businesses or governments, your well being comes down to your decisions and your actions. If you constantly refuse to protect yourself, make poor investment decisions, and refuse to save for a rainy day, you will eventually end up in a situation that might be unrecoverable. You can call this blaming the user or customer if you want, I call it facing reality. The world is a wonderful place, but it can also be cruel and unforgiving. People have been trained to shrug off responsibility, relying on the many security nets which society pays for and provides. This may provide comfort for a time, but can only end badly for those who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. If Bitcoin has the potential to make the world a better place, teaching responsibility would be a fantastic start! Only after you accept responsibility can you truly be free.

As far as judging new users, they are a blank slate. Their actions define them. Generally, I distrust strangers. Unlike you, I've not lost "tons of money", so this method may have merit. This allows me the freedom to be generous with those close to me.

Ya thanks for the advice. I have been around dont really need any but thanks any ways, If you dont lose money than you dont invest. I left 1800 on top a pay phone, I spent over 70 thousand staying out of jail, I have had deals go south and lose. I lost about 40k during hurricane katrina. So I have lost lots of money I have made lots of money too.

If you think that BTC is a freemarket right now you are wrong. It is a manipulated market. When the monopoly that BTC currently enjoys ends it will get a lot closer to a free market.     
HappyScamp

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:24:23 AM

From what I read, there is malware out there that can not only do keylogging, but can turn on your monitor, your mic, or copy your screen and deliver it remotely.

These things can also get into your phone.  A relative had his cc# stolen and used via typing it into his phone.

Whether or not this is what happened in THIS case, it is a potential problem for anyone out there, and needs to be addressed.

IMO BT will not be perceived as safe until that issue set gets handled.

JMO

BigFigurez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:06:49 AM

Wow, so they don't make you confirm anything when sending out a large sum of bitcoins? I'd expect at least an automated phone call or a secret phrase when sending out X amount of BTC at once, or in a given time.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:30:53 AM

Wow, so they don't make you confirm anything when sending out a large sum of bitcoins? I'd expect at least an automated phone call or a secret phrase when sending out X amount of BTC at once, or in a given time.
Exactly.  More security options would be better.
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:31:40 AM

Pay pal locks out based on IP address, If I try to access from a strange IP it ask me a security question. MT gox doesn't give a shit because they have zero liability. To all the tech guys talking about yubikeys and 2fa nerd stuff you dont get it people aren't going to do that. This thing only works if people use it. I am shocked to see the bitcoin faith in here. It is all worthless if people dont adopt it. If you think bitcoin is a retirement plan you are out of your mind.

A lot banks already use it, isn't it? SMS one time authorization code, they are not fundamentally different than other 2FA, just people are more used to it. How difficult to open your iphone/android app and type the number showed there into a website?

And probably yes, bitcoin is not for average joe NOW, bitcoin ecosystem is evolving, and evolving fast. 
And becoming a currency is DEFINITELY NOT EASY, if it succeed in the end, it would be a bumpy road, but think about it, in these many thousands years, except for fiat and gold, is there anything else that even get close to become a currency? With bitcoin, it is possibility. That possiblity itself is already a big event.

The whole point of bitcoin is that there are security features build in that allow SOME people with decent knowledge and skillset in computer security could handle it correctly and become the nuclei for further expansion into normal world. In the process, there will be emerging ways to handle it correctly and easy.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:35:19 AM

Pay pal locks out based on IP address, If I try to access from a strange IP it ask me a security question. MT gox doesn't give a shit because they have zero liability. To all the tech guys talking about yubikeys and 2fa nerd stuff you dont get it people aren't going to do that. This thing only works if people use it. I am shocked to see the bitcoin faith in here. It is all worthless if people dont adopt it. If you think bitcoin is a retirement plan you are out of your mind.

A lot banks already use it, isn't it? SMS one time authorization code, they are not fundamentally different than other 2FA, just people are more used to it. How difficult to open your iphone/android app and type the number showed there into a website?

And probably yes, bitcoin is not for average joe NOW, bitcoin ecosystem is evolving, and evolving fast. 
And becoming a currency is DEFINITELY NOT EASY, if it succeed in the end, it would be a bumpy road, but think about it, in these many thousands years, except for fiat and gold, is there anything else that even get close to become a currency? With bitcoin, it is possibility. That possiblity itself is already a big event.

The whole point of bitcoin is that there are security features build in that allow SOME people with decent knowledge and skillset in computer security could handle it correctly and become the nuclei for further expansion into normal world. In the process, there will be emerging ways to handle it correctly and easy.
I agree - which is why we should be discussing what those emerging ways to handle it correctly will be.  Rather than sit and wait for something to happen, why not discuss what security options should be implemented and push exchanges to implement them?
Arthur3000

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 05:06:34 AM

that sucks
movellan

Activity: 348

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 09:42:12 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2013, 10:40:25 AM by movellan

Yeah, so far Yubikey seems to be the only solution, even regular sweeps with netsec and antivir would not guarantee you safety. :/

Yes, until the Yubikey takes a dump. When that happens, it appears you have to send the dead unit back to Japan and wait for delivery of a replacement before accessing your account. I recently closed my Mt Gox account and they tried to get me back by offering a free Yubikey. No thanks.

BTW, Danny said the free Yubikey code is OK for anyone, so if you want, it's good through April 14. PM me.

Update:  Yubikey is gone.
zeocrash

Activity: 134

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 01:50:13 PM

I had my mtgox account cleared out about, 2 weeks ago. The attackers somehow got my username and password. Fortunately i only had 2 BTC in there. I feel for you. It's a horrible feeling when you realize that someone has just taken all your BTC. I didn't have 2 factor authentication on, which i now have. I still have no idea how the attacker got my username and password, i did a thorough scan of my computer and my phone for key loggers, Trojans etc. and found nothing.

The withdraw email that MtGox send is incredibly frustrating, why ask me to contact them if there's nothing they can do about it. I'd prefer an email that said

"If you didn't request this withdrawl, tough. You're never seeing those bitcoins again"

At least then i wouldn't have wasted half an hour trying to contact support only to be told that.

jens

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:31:32 AM

Hi, a new newbie here.

I bought some bitcoins in July 2011. I moved a few to my wallet to play around with, but left the rest in Mt Gox. Wanting to access them now, I get nowhere. Can't log in, can't retrieve/reset my password, don't get any reply when contacting them. Is my experience common?

Cheers,

Jens
Jason101

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:46:27 AM

Hi, a new newbie here.

I bought some bitcoins in July 2011. I moved a few to my wallet to play around with, but left the rest in Mt Gox. Wanting to access them now, I get nowhere. Can't log in, can't retrieve/reset my password, don't get any reply when contacting them. Is my experience common?

Cheers,

Jens

I would write them again, they are pretty good about that I heard
GerMG

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:57:45 AM

allways 2 factor
Darkcoins

Activity: 45

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:44:07 AM

My advice would be..

1. Scan your machine for malware or RAT or Keyloggers
2. Run a free program from microsoft called TCP View. check for any reveres connections from your pc to a botnet, If you are connected to one you will see the remote IP of the computer or network you are connected to.
3. Backup your data and wipe the hard drives with D-ban boot and nuke.  this will remove any virus from the system
4. Use 2 stage authentication, Invest in some more security like yubikey, Passwords are never enough anymore. And if you do decide to use just passwords. make them over 24 characters with symbols and special characters

Hei_

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:03:36 AM

feeling bad for you
bradbrad

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:18:48 AM

Screw Gox. Would love to provide a reliable alternative, but with the growth rate of BTC and new people flooding the market everyday, there simply isnt one. The lesser of the evils (and been the most reliable for me) is Bitstamp (even though their live trade is f@#ked up recently and you have to rely on bitcoinity for up to date trades).

jens

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:44:03 AM

Thanks for your support and suggestions, but I followed Jason's advice and I mailed Mt. Gox once again - and this time the reply came immediately: my account had "been disabled due to inactivity". Phew!

All's well! False alarm!

Jens
cmp

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:55:15 AM

Thanks for your support and suggestions, but I followed Jason's advice and I mailed Mt. Gox once again - and this time the reply came immediately: my account had "been disabled due to inactivity". Phew!

All's well! False alarm!

Jens

Hah, thats a nice one. Phew Smiley Your bitcoins raised in value bigtime.
Chrisoldinho

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:00:23 AM

unlucky, lost 15 LTC the other day myself  Embarrassed not quite on your level though!

Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=207526.0

BTC: 1Lx4N52ZWBJ2ieRudrrUGjec6RybBuGhVV
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: