Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:05:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipient;s BTC Balance still shows 0.00 BTC even after 20 Confirmations [qt]  (Read 1563 times)
Jellybean (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:04:33 PM

Hi,
So I decided to open a savings account,'
I used 2 PC(s):

#1 PC - My everyday PC (has the bitcoin-qt wallet for sending/receiving small amounts of btc)
#2 PC - My offline laptop (Booted with Ubuntu 12.4 Live OS)

I took PC #2 and rebooted from DVD-ROM and ran Ubuntu Live os, opened a fresh new bitcoin-qt wallet, generated 3 addresses, saved them on a USB flash drive, put the public addresses on my #1 PC and  sent each of the 3 addresses  0.009BTC - a total of 0.027 btc.

I plugged PC #2 to the interenet, because I wanted to see if the money transferred and this method works, but it's been 2 hours since, the transactions had 20+ confirmations, but the BTC doesn't shows up on my PC #2 (laptop).
It downloaded about 65% of the blocks, and my #2 PC (2gb ram) closed bitcoin-qt, because I had no more space left. Now when I open the wallet, it remains downloading blocks for a couple of minutes and closes itself (obviously)

However, the problem is that I can't see the funds. All I see is "0.00 BTC (Out of Sync)". What should I do?

Many thanks, this is just a test account to see if this method works, but I don't get it... Where is the bitcoins I sent 2 hours ago?
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:09:15 PM

The balance won't show until the entire block chain is downloaded on #2. You can verify the balance on blockchain.info

If you want to retrieve the funds, export the keys or the wallet and put them on a computer with enough hard drive to download the chain or import the keys into blockchain.info and send them back out from there.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:15:29 PM

Hi
I just wanted to see in my own eyes and confirm that it works before I send all my btc to that wallet. If the blockchain.info shows that the btc transferred, it says that the money really went there? I will try to export the secret keys, that would be enough of a "evidence" for me. Sorry for the stupid question but can you recommend any way to import the private keys without using a 3rd part software? I mean, maybe there is an option to import via comments on Sudo?

Thank you.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:18:01 PM

With qt client you have to download all the blocks, or, at least, get to the block where the transaction happened (wich means, today)

To check the transaction on blockchain.info you can just put the public address, no need to use the private key.

Of course you will have to get the private key in the blockchain.info wallet if you want to use it to move the coins right now.

Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:29:29 PM

Hi, thank you

Yes, I know I must have the private keys of these 3 addresses in order to use the money that was sent to them, or even just to see that the btc is there. (I have some psychological problem that I have to see this method works for me at least once before I do this again, and send all my mined btc to a new, offline, btc wallet) so, is there a way to import secret keys of bitcoin-qt with Sudo comments?

Also, if I want to download the blocks to my pc while using the Ubuntu Live os, that means I should get a 8gb RAM, right? I tried to download the blocks to my 16gb USB Flash Drive, but ubuntu didn't even let me open "bitcoin-qt.exe" because apparantely there is a problem with opening .exe files from a portable device.

Thank you.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:35:31 PM

or even just to see that the btc is there
Nonono. You can see how many btc there are by using the PUBLIC address!

Yes, there is a command to have the qt client tell you the keys, but i don't know it.

As for ubuntu, i don't know. Probably not

wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:03:55 PM

Hi, thank you

Yes, I know I must have the private keys of these 3 addresses in order to use the money that was sent to them, or even just to see that the btc is there. (I have some psychological problem that I have to see this method works for me at least once before I do this again, and send all my mined btc to a new, offline, btc wallet) so, is there a way to import secret keys of bitcoin-qt with Sudo comments?

Also, if I want to download the blocks to my pc while using the Ubuntu Live os, that means I should get a 8gb RAM, right? I tried to download the blocks to my 16gb USB Flash Drive, but ubuntu didn't even let me open "bitcoin-qt.exe" because apparantely there is a problem with opening .exe files from a portable device.

Thank you.

To dump the private key from qt, open up the console and use dumpprivkey <bitcoinaddress>

That will export the private key for you. Then, you can import those keys into blockchain.info and have access to the funds on them. Or you could use the function importprivkey <bitcoinprivkey> [label]

on a full node with the whole block chain and have access to the coins locally.

The reason that you cannot open bitcoin-qt.exe on linux is because an .exe is made for windows. Try the linux files from bitcoin.org and you should be fine Smiley

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 06:47:12 PM

Hi,
I know, I have tried to launch the Linux wallet qt, not the windows, i'm not that noob haha. but it didn't work, so i tried several different USB flash/Disk devices, it always give me the same error.

Anyway, about the wallet that I sent BTC to, something VERY WEIRD happened. My wallet has been synchronized to 100% about 20 hours ago, but I still DO NOT see the BTC there. I only see 0.00BTC. Where is the money then?

These are the addresses:

http://blockchain.info/address/15Ht9rPvNfQ7cp3BXmi3PmE2YfpGDHyNzQ

http://blockchain.info/address/1BrCJngPF89wv8mUQ8Epyivsq784EETJLK

This is really weird, because I CAN SEE the 2 addresses in the wallet, but the BTC just isn't there. Wow, if i'd send there all my mined coins i would be the saddest man on earth
any advice would be much appreciated
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 06:51:26 PM

Hi,
I know, I have tried to launch the Linux wallet qt, not the windows, i'm not that noob haha. but it didn't work, so i tried several different USB flash/Disk devices, it always give me the same error.

Anyway, about the wallet that I sent BTC to, something VERY WEIRD happened. My wallet has been synchronized to 100% about 20 hours ago, but I still DO NOT see the BTC there. I only see 0.00BTC. Where is the money then?

These are the addresses:

http://blockchain.info/address/15Ht9rPvNfQ7cp3BXmi3PmE2YfpGDHyNzQ

http://blockchain.info/address/1BrCJngPF89wv8mUQ8Epyivsq784EETJLK

This is really weird, because I CAN SEE the 2 addresses in the wallet, but the BTC just isn't there. Wow, if i'd send there all my mined coins i would be the saddest man on earth
any advice would be much appreciated

Did you try my suggestion of dumping the private key and importing it somewhere like blockchain.info and sending it out from there?

When you say you see the addresses in the wallet, you mean on receive page? Or what? Try signing a message with the addresses and see if you can sign it. That would indicate if your wallet has control of those addresses. Try both of them.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 07:13:45 PM

Your explanations aren't quite making sense.

You say:

sent each of the 3 addresses  0.009BTC

But then later you say:

That is only 2 addresses, and http://blockchain.info/address/15Ht9rPvNfQ7cp3BXmi3PmE2YfpGDHyNzQ only received 0.006 BTC (not 0.009).

Are you saying that right now, when you open up the current Bitcoin Wallet in #2 PC, if you look on the "Receive Coins" tab, both those addresses still show up in the list?
Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 11:05:12 PM

Did you try my suggestion of dumping the private key and importing it somewhere like blockchain.info and sending it out from there?

When you say you see the addresses in the wallet, you mean on receive page? Or what? Try signing a message with the addresses and see if you can sign it. That would indicate if your wallet has control of those addresses. Try both of them.
Hi,
I tried the commands you gave me on Terminal and got no results, it gives me error messages, although i did everything just as you wrote.
Yes, the addresses are on my receive page (5 Addresses in total).
Your explanations aren't quite making sense.

You say:

sent each of the 3 addresses  0.009BTC

But then later you say:

That is only 2 addresses, and http://blockchain.info/address/15Ht9rPvNfQ7cp3BXmi3PmE2YfpGDHyNzQ only received 0.006 BTC (not 0.009).

Are you saying that right now, when you open up the current Bitcoin Wallet in #2 PC, if you look on the "Receive Coins" tab, both those addresses still show up in the list?

I am very sorry for the misleading details. I suppose I only sent BTC to two addresses of the #2 PC wallet. It was a check to see if this method works.
Yes, I can see both addresses in my qt account. Actually I copied them from my #2 PC wallet and put the address on blockchain, and then pasted it here in my previous post. This is really weird. I have worked with qt wallet before and got all my coins there (windows), but this OFFLINE Ubuntu wallet setup seems to not work?
The balance in my #2 PC wallet is still 0.00BTC. I also tried the wallet.dat on a friend's PC (just to check the balance) and it still shows 0.00BTC, although the addresses are there, in the "receive coins" section (15Ht9rPvNfQ7cp3BXmi3PmE2YfpGDHyNzQ , 1BrCJngPF89wv8mUQ8Epyivsq784EETJLK)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 11:27:16 PM

. . . Yes, I can see both addresses in my qt account. Actually I copied them from my #2 PC wallet and put the address on blockchain, and then pasted it here in my previous post. This is really weird. I have worked with qt wallet before and got all my coins there (windows), but this OFFLINE Ubuntu wallet setup seems to not work?
The balance in my #2 PC wallet is still 0.00BTC. I also tried the wallet.dat on a friend's PC (just to check the balance) and it still shows 0.00BTC, although the addresses are there, in the "receive coins" section (15Ht9rPvNfQ7cp3BXmi3PmE2YfpGDHyNzQ , 1BrCJngPF89wv8mUQ8Epyivsq784EETJLK)
This is quite odd and unexpected behavior.  What version of Bitcoin-Qt are you running?  I believe that in older versions, when you load up a backed up wallet, you have to start Bitcoin-Qt with a -rescan option on the command line or it will not rescan the entire blockchain to find all the necessary transactions related to the addresses in the wallet.

If you are using a version older than 0.7.1, I'd try the -rescan option on the command line when starting up Bitcoin-Qt.

Actually, even if you are running 0.7.1 or 0.7.2, I'd probably still try it even though I don't expect it to help under those circumstances.
Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:11:31 PM

Hi,
I'm using the latest version (from bitcoin.org) I downloaded it about a week ago to my USB flash, opened it on Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) Live os, so I really have no clue. Have you seen such thing before?
I can upload the wallet.dat file here with the passpharse (it was only a test account, so I really don't care about it) to see what's wrong and maybe report to the authors about this problem.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:58:38 PM

Hi,
I'm using the latest version (from bitcoin.org) I downloaded it about a week ago to my USB flash, opened it on Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) Live os, so I really have no clue. Have you seen such thing before?
I can upload the wallet.dat file here with the passpharse (it was only a test account, so I really don't care about it) to see what's wrong and maybe report to the authors about this problem.
I'd expect that within a minute (probably less) of you uploading it and posting the password, someone will have imported the private keys and sent the bitcoins out of the wallet so there wouldn't be much of anything left for anyone else to see.

You'd be better off choosing a trusted member (or a few trusted members) who are willing to look at the issue and emailing the wallet.dat directly to them.  They shouldn't need the password either.  It should be possible to load up the wallet and see the balance without the password.  The password is only needed to send the bitcoins out of the wallet.
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 03:29:47 PM

Hi,

You can upload the wallet directly to blockchain.info and have access to the coins without dumping the private keys. Is english not your first language? Maybe one of the language subforums could help you better. It's not as hard as you're making it out to be.

Spend some time on the bitcoin Wiki understanding how bitcoin addresses, private keys, and wallets work.

Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 11:19:08 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2013, 01:25:17 PM by Jellybean

Hi,
This is really odd, I imported the wallet to blockchain and now I can see the Balance "0.015 BTC"!
But in my wallet qt it still shows 0.00BTC! I loaded my wallet.dat in 3 different PC's (Win7/Ubuntu) even 1 of them with different ip, and it still shows 0.00BTC.
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 03:26:27 PM

Hi,
This is really odd, I imported the wallet to blockchain and now I can see the Balance "0.015 BTC"!
But in my wallet qt it still shows 0.00BTC! I loaded my wallet.dat in 3 different PC's (Win7/Ubuntu) even 1 of them with different ip, and it still shows 0.00BTC.

I don't know how you're "loading your wallet" But if you are putting the wallet.dat on the computer and opening bitcoin, you need to run it with the rescan option so it will go through the block chain and find all of the transactions for each of the addresses in your wallet.

Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 07:29:02 PM

Not only replacing it in the hidden bitcoin folder (where the wallet.dat is) ?
Because when I did that it showed me that the btc addresses are there in the wallet, but balance is still 0.00
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 07:32:10 PM

- SNIP -
you need to run it with the rescan option so it will go through the block chain and find all of the transactions for each of the addresses in your wallet.
- SNIP -

I suggested that 2 days ago:

- SNIP -
If you are using a version older than 0.7.1, I'd try the -rescan option on the command line when starting up Bitcoin-Qt.

Actually, even if you are running 0.7.1 or 0.7.2, I'd probably still try it even though I don't expect it to help under those circumstances.
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 08:00:44 PM

Not only replacing it in the hidden bitcoin folder (where the wallet.dat is) ?
Because when I did that it showed me that the btc addresses are there in the wallet, but balance is still 0.00

- SNIP -
you need to run it with the rescan option so it will go through the block chain and find all of the transactions for each of the addresses in your wallet.
- SNIP -

I suggested that 2 days ago:

- SNIP -

You're not listening to Danny, and you're not listening to me it sounds like. Rescan it. If blockchain.info import gives you access to your funds, the only reason you couldn't see them on qt is because you replaced the wallet.dat file and then opened it up. That would show you your addresses, but your balance will be 0 until you rescan.

It is not something you can do from console, you have to set that parameter during start up.

You need to sit down and read these top to bottom:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: