Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:13:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your thoughts on the Liberty Dollar?  (Read 755 times)
21after2 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 02:38:23 AM

I like to collect banknotes. I just got some Liberty Dollar notes in the other day to add to my collection and it made me think of starting this topic. I know ALD has a load of controversy surrounding it, but I'm curious to know what people here think/thought of the currency. Did anyone support it before it was hit by the FBI? Anyone support the concept behind it? Anyone hate it to the ends of the Earth?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 03:55:09 AM

I was a Liberty Dollar Associate for years - from 1999 to the raid. It was a great idea with just a few flaws. The main one was the centralized aspect of it. That made it easy to take out all at once.

It could have been marketed better too. I know he was using the politicized aspect of it as an attempt at protection (the idea being that the certificates should be safe to use as they were "free speech") but that didn't work out so well.

But if it hadn't collapsed I never would have come up with Shire Silver.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:04:06 AM

I'd been aware of them for a while, and always thought it was a good idea very poorly executed.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 05:24:02 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2013, 08:29:47 PM by TECSHARE

I was buying from them before the last raid in 2009, in fact they confiscated my last order. This prosecution is very clearly politically motivated. BVNH took appropriate steps to bring himself into alignment with the law. IMO he was abiding by the law creating NORFED, but when the powers that be don't like what you create you become a criminal very quickly. He was advocating a return to trade in gold and silver, if everyone did that who would the parasites leech off of then? If anyone wants to buy NORFED silver check out my thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58518.0

NOTE: It is not illegal to own, The Secret Service simply pressured ebay to remove them in order to create that appearance as well as shut down the most active NORFED marketplace. If it is illegal why are they still on Amazon?  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=norfed
21after2 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 12:26:13 AM

NOTE: It is not illegal to own, The Secret Service simply pressured ebay to remove them in order to create that appearance as well as shut down the most active NORFED marketplace. If it is illegal why are they still on Amazon?  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=norfed

I've still seen them listed on eBay. Are they still removing the listings, or do they just kinda go under the radar? I need to pick up the larger denomination notes to complete my collection at some point.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 07:35:35 AM

I've still seen them listed on eBay. Are they still removing the listings, or do they just kinda go under the radar? I need to pick up the larger denomination notes to complete my collection at some point.

They remove listings primarily by keyword and human sorting. Neither is 100% effective.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 07:50:48 AM

My thoughts on the Liberty Dollar?
It's a shame they were a victim of Big Brother.
I bought 2 paper bills and 1 silver coin when i clearly should have bought all silver.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 10:56:17 PM

My thoughts on the Liberty Dollar?
It's a shame they were a victim of Big Brother.
I bought 2 paper bills and 1 silver coin when i clearly should have bought all silver.

Paper bills are still collectors items. Unfortunately they aren't worth as much as they were. I you purchase any of my NORFED silver I will be willing to give 2x face value on trade in.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 03:42:31 AM

I was buying from them before the last raid in 2009, in fact they confiscated my last order. This prosecution is very clearly politically motivated. BVNH took appropriate steps to bring himself into alignment with the law. IMO he was abiding by the law creating NORFED, but when the powers that be don't like what you create you become a criminal very quickly. He was advocating a return to trade in gold and silver, if everyone did that who would the parasites leech off of then? If anyone wants to buy NORFED silver check out my thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58518.0

The problem is that he said one thing.... return to trade in gold and silver....

But all he really did is allow himself to do is print a USD denominated note.  He was printing something denominated in USD and the government does not like competition.  If it was done like shire silver it would have been ok.   If it was a receipt/coupon for 1 oz of silver in a vault it would have been ok.  None of those things would have let BVNH print money denominated in USD like he did and he did not go that route. 

While I do believe that currency competition should be legal in more forms, it is not. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: