Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:11:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] MyBB mod: Credit From Coins - Buy forum points with BTC  (Read 6816 times)
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:43:12 AM

Hello,

Many forums have points, gold, nakamotos, whatever. They can be awarded for good forum behavior. They are sometimes sold to support the site. These points can confer benefits like badges, access to elite sub-forums, and more. Virtually all of these points systems that allow purchase have mods that let users pay with PayPal, but I found zero (0) that do the same for Bitcoin.

So as a small experiment, I set about converting one of these mods to work with Bitcoin. I wanted the mod to be simple to setup so integrated with the Blockchain.info API for accepting and forwarding payments. The plus is the forum admin doesn't have to run bitcoind. They must only supply one of their addresses so Blockchain.info can forward payments on. They can change this address any time from the plugin's settings to control the forum's financial privacy. Or they can publicize the address to show just how loving their members are. The drawback is they're dependent on Blockchain.info to properly report and forward payments.

The plugin I chose to modify, enables some sample package sizes to be offered so you can set that as well as a points to btc exchange rate in the plugin's settings. You can also set the name of your points and tell it which field in the `users` table of MyBB to increment. Anyway, you can get it here:

http://www.davidsterry.com/Credit%20From%20Coins.latest.zip

and the github is here if you want to contribute:

https://github.com/weex/mybb-credit-from-coins

Thanks for checking it out!

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:04:50 AM

Great project! MyBB is the best Open Source forum, imo.
Can the admins' address be any BTC address or does it have to be a wallet at blockchain.info?

Will download and test soon, thanks.

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:15:55 AM

Can the admins' address be any BTC address or does it have to be a wallet at blockchain.info?

Any BTC address at all.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:01:12 PM

As I get it - you tell blockchain.info an address where they should forward all payments and the users just get one-time addresses from blockchain.info so they can be distinguished from each other. Right?
Why not use BIP32 instead? This would also create a LOT of unique addresses, but you can keep the main key to yourself (even offline).

Also a bitcoin URI might be nice for people with desktop clients additionally to that QR code.

Is it possible to withdraw as well, or is this rather a one way money sink?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
btharper

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:59:44 PM

First off, this is an awesome looking project weex. Thanks.

As I get it - you tell blockchain.info an address where they should forward all payments and the users just get one-time addresses from blockchain.info so they can be distinguished from each other. Right?
Why not use BIP32 instead? This would also create a LOT of unique addresses, but you can keep the main key to yourself (even offline).

Also a bitcoin URI might be nice for people with desktop clients additionally to that QR code.

+1 for BIP 32, this would be a great use case for BIP 32 and a great place to show it off (both of these are also true for any website that needs any real speed generating keys without trusting the server with the private key).

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0032 - Short version: Using math to generate keys in a deterministic fashion. More private or public keys can be generated from an extended private key, and more public keys can be generated from an extended public key. The server can make new addresses on the fly without any sensitive information.

I would assume this would usually be one-way, though bi-directional exchange would be an interesting way to reward people, although a certain exchange rate would have to be picked and may need to be changed each time someone withdrawals. And since forum points are usually unlimited while money is not it may be hard to balance.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 09:28:18 PM

Mostly. The different addresses are more so the site has control over their privacy. Blockchain.info's API actually calls back with the userid once payment is seen to the address but yes Blockchain.info uses the address to know what to send in the callback.

BIP32 is a great idea and I am aware of that protocol. For this initial mod, I wanted something simple to code but more importantly simple for the forum admin to setup.

What is the simplest way for someone to get a BIP32 key? Is this going in bitcoin-qt/bitcoind in the foreseeable future?
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 10:03:20 PM

Afaik the only client supporting BIP32 currently is Electrum. I didn't do too much research though.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:30:11 AM

Just rediscovered this and will use it soon, thank you.

kezzyp

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:04:55 PM

This is good, and creative!
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 01:51:22 AM

Thinking of updating this to use Coinbase and possibly gocoin. Anybody using this?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 07:57:35 PM

Thinking of updating this to use Coinbase and possibly gocoin. Anybody using this?
I have it on a dev project and expecting to use it live.
MyBB is a great forum, thanks for making this.

blockchain.info vs Coinbase API?
Any chance you could have a primary and a secondary, so if blockchain.info is down then another option is there?
Thanks again.

b1naryn1ghtmar3

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 09:50:12 AM

@weex

PLEASE update this. i would even give you some coin to do so. I KNOW this is grave digging at its finest but this would be badass!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: