Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:22:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with choosing a UPS / power conditioning setup for 4xAvalon V1 machines?  (Read 2928 times)
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 03:52:29 AM
Last edit: February 19, 2013, 04:29:13 AM by galambo

Are there any systems you're aware of that are designed to protect an entire structure? Since we're building a new house it would be nice if i could just condition/filter everything coming into our house. I would like to do so without batteries. I don't care if the power goes out, I just don't want it to damage my electronics when it's on or inbetween.

It would be really nice if I could just put a unit in between our power line and the distribution panel that is rated for 23KW (100A @ 230V) or so.

Third World Answer:

The ferroresonant transformer may be what you need. It appears the author of this paper is quite taken with its application to his third world country of Sri Lanka. I'm not sure if the same applies to your third world country.

Another option is the battery bank with Outback, or similar power inverter & battery charger, someone posted above.

The trade-off is maintenance. Lead acid battery maintenance is a full time job. The ferroresonant transformers have a MTBF of 20 years and its not unheard of to see much older ones in service.

I would recommend segregating the protected circuits with expensive equipment versus your connections for lighting and plugging in the vacuum.

Good candidates for a ferroresonant transformer have a defining charactaristic - a constant load matched to the size of the transformer.

In either case with power as bad as you say, you must wonder if the above devices (ferroresonant transformer, inverter/battery charger) will be "popped" by your serious power quality issues.

You will, for sure, want the whole house surge suppressor discussed below.

First World Answer:

So the the basic problem here is that people have a new "baby" and want to protect it. So you proscribe a harmless placebo (plug in surge protector) to protect the baby from harm.

Your question is a different problem entirely, and correct solution is to have a whole house surge protector. You may want to consider this for any conductive utility services which leave your house (power, phone, cable tv coaxial cable, satellite dish coaxial cable) This is just one big MOV (metal oxide varistor).

You can condition and filter everything coming into your house, but your local Homeowner's Association may be concerned with what the installation of this device will do to their property value.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
galambo

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:34:10 AM

Found this that appears to have some conditioning properties to it. But no isolation.

http://www.usesmfg.com/productlinertechnicalspecs.nxg

This is supposed to be a bite-sized version of this device.

Provided you order this box and it comes with actual electrical components inside I doubt you would be able to detect it doing much of anything to solve your problem.
hotdealdave

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:39:51 AM

What about a couple of these?
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LC1800-Conditioner-Outlet/dp/B0000514G8/ref=sr_1_29?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361251572&sr=1-29&keywords=power+conditioner

APC also offers similar units.

I just think an industrial-type power conditioning setup would be overkill for a home user with 4 Avalons.

senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:03:28 AM

Found this, looks promising.

http://www.exactpower.com/

Isolation + UPS + Surge Protection + Conditioning

Would just need an automatic transfer switch to kick start my generator and i'd be good to go. It looks like it's designed for people who do pro-audio/video at home and get annoyed by the buzz in the background of all of their recordings.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 2100

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 03:40:59 PM

Are there any systems you're aware of that are designed to protect an entire structure? Since we're building a new house it would be nice if i could just condition/filter everything coming into our house. I would like to do so without batteries. I don't care if the power goes out, I just don't want it to damage my electronics when it's on or inbetween.

I read a convincing argument once that whole-house protection is the only real protection there is and that trying to protect individual pieces of equipment was a waste of time. I have no link though so take that for what it's worth.

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:17:09 PM

How much do you pay per kWh? Haven't you considered to have a datacenter hostin them (for around 400$/month?).

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
galambo

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:03:38 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 04:33:16 AM by galambo

Would just need an automatic transfer switch to kick start my generator and i'd be good to go. It looks like it's designed for people who do pro-audio/video at home and get annoyed by the buzz in the background of all of their recordings.

What about a couple of these?
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LC1800-Conditioner-Outlet/dp/B0000514G8/ref=sr_1_29?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361251572&sr=1-29&keywords=power+conditioner

APC also offers similar units.

I just think an industrial-type power conditioning setup would be overkill for a home user with 4 Avalons.

I see both of you are big fans of black boxes. You may be BFL customers who accidentally wandered into this Avalon thread about electrical power. I think the manufacturer's recommended power conditioning product for BFL is a Bloom Energy box.
galambo

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:57:58 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 05:09:46 AM by galambo

Okay, I got curious as to what this one actually was and found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFFk4u_LJM

This guy looked at my list and said "I'll have all three."  Grin

Well close, he used a big transformer, but it doesn't serve the same purpose as the one I listed.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:17:47 AM

I see both of you are big fans of black boxes. You may be BFL customers who accidentally wandered into this Avalon thread about electrical power. I think the manufacturer's recommended power conditioning product for BFL is a Bloom Energy box.

I don't care what color the box is as long as it does what it is advertised. If you must know, I have 1 unit ordered from everyone. The avalon is the only one I had shipped to my asian address because it's shipping from asia. I thought I would take this opportunity in this thread to discuss possible whole house solutions. I can't be the only person not in the US/EU receiving units who has major issues with electrical.

RE your last post, I contacted exact power but they wont even quote me since i'm outside the US. I told them "I still maintain a US residence, just quote me as a US citizen and I'll ship it here myself.". To which i received no reply (as of yet). Seems like there could be a market for providing whole home protection outside the US. In the video he says "20% of power problems come from outside the home". I wonder if those statistics include third world countries. I've had at least 2 of my dead motherboards get fried from lightning strikes near by.

How much do you pay per kWh? Haven't you considered to have a datacenter hostin them (for around 400$/month?).

The electric cost is like 0.20$KWH at my house.

Problem with the datacenters here is 800$/mbit bandwidth. There is a clause in the constitution here that says all businesses must be 60% owned by locals. The problem there is that when you have a population of people that can't afford to feed themselves it really limits growth. It does wonders for those few people who are in power... They have 90 million economic slaves at their finger tips.

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:55:33 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 09:15:30 AM by cedivad

Yes,but you could send the avalons directly to the datacenter, they will mount them and all.
This way you will not have to pay 800$/Mbit using a first world datacenter (here in Italy 3 years ago it was 100$/mbit, third world here).
Standard rates lately are as low as 0.5$/Mbit, just ask for a 10Mbps connection and 1TB of monthly transfer.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
galambo

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:17:11 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 12:28:38 PM by galambo

RE your last post, I contacted exact power but they wont even quote me since i'm outside the US. I told them "I still maintain a US residence, just quote me as a US citizen and I'll ship it here myself.". To which i received no reply (as of yet). Seems like there could be a market for providing whole home protection outside the US. In the video he says "20% of power problems come from outside the home". I wonder if those statistics include third world countries. I've had at least 2 of my dead motherboards get fried from lightning strikes near by.

"Black box" means you don't know what is inside. It turns out that ExactPower's black box is what I was recommending.

You can get a whole house surge protector and a very good ground installed for ~$300.

Try starting there and see if it solves your problems.

His statistic of 20% of surges start outside the home is likely made up to sell more equipment to audiophiles. I think what he means to say is that surges aren't the only source of power problems. Many more are caused by bad house wiring.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:26:18 PM

Wait a second, what kind of power do these devices need anyway? Could they be run directly from battery (with a simple top-off charger running to supply the current)? Though I guess it would still need a UPS for the controlling computer.

Bogart
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 06:00:45 PM

Wait a second, what kind of power do these devices need anyway? Could they be run directly from battery (with a simple top-off charger running to supply the current)? Though I guess it would still need a UPS for the controlling computer.

Well, kinda sorta maybe.

They use an ATX power supply.  Probably most of the consumption is from the 12v rail, and I imagine they use the 5v rail too to power the USB hub and the wr703n.  I dunno if they use the 3.3v rail or not.

Even if you can use buck converters to make 5v and 3.3v if needed, it probably won't really work.  I think you'll find that the voltage supplied by the charger is sometimes too high, and is not regulated well enough.  It may send 14v or more when it's trying to charge, depending on its charge strategy.  You really need a proper constant voltage power supply.

Avalons are standalone, so you won't need a host computer.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:11:13 PM

It depends. Hopefully the devices themselves have some kind of regulation. Many things you plug in contain a 5V regulator and will happily run off quite a wide range of voltages.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the Avalons themselves do. Though they likely use the 5V rail from the PSUs. I don't see that they probably have much use for 12V. Do not take any actions based on this without verifying for yourself though. Standard disclaimers apply.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: