Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:11:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions about GPU mining and ASICS  (Read 1067 times)
jerye (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:02:22 PM

Hey guys, just got to know about bitcoin recently and have been reading through a bit of stuff. I currently have a Nvidia GTX 680 and thought why not try mining on it. Using GUIMiner, I get about 108 Mhash/s, is there ways of increasing this? Also what extra flags do I use?

Also seeing as how I read that with all the ASICS stuff coming on board, it would no longer be economical to GPU mine and was looking to get myself either a BitForce Jalapeno or Little Single though I know it ran out and is on pre-order. Does anyone know their schedule for the next round?

Appreciate the comments and help. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kullar

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:12:28 PM

Hey guys, just got to know about bitcoin recently and have been reading through a bit of stuff. I currently have a Nvidia GTX 680 and thought why not try mining on it. Using GUIMiner, I get about 108 Mhash/s, is there ways of increasing this? Also what extra flags do I use?

Also seeing as how I read that with all the ASICS stuff coming on board, it would no longer be economical to GPU mine and was looking to get myself either a BitForce Jalapeno or Little Single though I know it ran out and is on pre-order. Does anyone know their schedule for the next round?

Appreciate the comments and help. Smiley

From my general readings so far it seems people think if you were to order one now it would be a few months before it arrives.
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 03:18:31 PM

If you are looking to get into mining, you might as well just bite the bullet, order the ASIC and wait.  I ordered in September.  I'll get mine a few weeks ahead of someone that orders now.  The ones receiving the very first will be those that ordered in June and July.  So relative to others you are not waiting as long as most and you can buy with BTC that are in some cases almost 4x more than that some.  So you are getting a great deal even though you will not be one of the first miners.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
blockgenesis

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 09:29:48 PM

Actually, nobody really knows :

1. How long it will take to receive ASICs for recent orders (even old orders were delayed a lot).
2. What will be the difficulty in the next months after massive ASIC deployment.
3. What will be the Bitcoin value in a few months (it seems to be in a hysterical bubble right now).

So it is indeed pretty hard to know if this will be profitable. And this is right, your Nvidia most probably is already not profitable right now if you calculate the electricity costs. And it will be less and less profitable in the next months as the hash rate (and difficulty) rises with new ASICs.

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
Rarrikins

Activity: 23

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 11:51:52 PM

Using GUIMiner, I get about 108 Mhash/s, is there ways of increasing this? Also what extra flags do I use?
One way is to try different miners, like cgminer and bfgminer. GUIminer should be able to use them instead of its own miner, allowing you to use it to manage things.

You can get their options by running them on the command line with --help.
andydabeast

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 08:23:01 PM

I haven't even mined yet cuz my gtx 460s wouldn't be economical to use but I definitely plan on keeping an eye on this ASIC stuff cuz they are the obvious bang for buck (especially BitForce Jalapeno) here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison but I wanna wait and see what happens when they come out. I'm too timid with my money to take the pre-order risk with this much uncertainty. looks like it will be exciting tho  Grin

make your BTC grow!
https://btc-arbs.com/referral/andydabeast
sharing is caring! LTC- Ld9dvgz5UfSpNXKNXHe766huw2dxi9iTWL
warbdan

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:15:44 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered a jalapeno the other day. BFL estimated delivery in 2 months. I plan to add more as I can afford to.

As for GPU mining....if you just wanna try it out, I say go ahead and do it. It's not really going to cost you anything to play around with the card you've got. Your pc is on anyway, right? At least you'll know how to use the software.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: