Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:10:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Singularity is Near  (Read 20671 times)
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:42:58 PM

It's happening.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fryx

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:20:59 PM

As long as this point has not been reached, it is incredibly silly to worry over a few dollars in a few weeks.

This guy.
cho

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

Boar with me

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:16:46 AM

I'm getting more and more convinced that Bitcoin is the greatest investment in the history of capitalism.

This.

Might very well be true.
Currently the "greatest investment in the history of capitalism" is that of the Rothschild family, having invested in the monopoly of monetary creation.
Bitcoin is playing in the same league.

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:22:17 AM

I wish I had read this in February 2013! I wouldn't have hemorrhaged money on alts before trading back.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 12:42:34 AM

Although Bitcoin is still very young, it has survived to the point where there is enough wealth in the system that people will go to great lengths in order to repair or save it
I realized this earlier today while driving my car.

The more people invest in it, the more people will want it to succeed.  Nobody wants to lose their money.  Nobody is going to *let* Bitcoin fail now.

This is a built-in protection for Bitcoin.  Probably the most powerful one possible.  

This is wonderful news.

-Burger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:43:36 AM

Although Bitcoin is still very young, it has survived to the point where there is enough wealth in the system that people will go to great lengths in order to repair or save it
I realized this earlier today while driving my car.

The more people invest in it, the more people will want it to succeed.  Nobody wants to lose their money.  Nobody is going to *let* Bitcoin fail now.

This is a built-in protection for Bitcoin.  Probably the most powerful one possible.  

This is wonderful news.

-Burger-

The thing is people with on paper very different interests/agendas could have privately  invested in BTC , so they will protect it too.
thus corrupting the $ system.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:38:06 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=323988.msg3625475#msg3625475

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 06:07:32 PM

Too early?

The nature of speculative bubbles is everyone feels like a fool at some point, but the greatest fool is the one who didn't ever cash out (even greater than those who never bought any).

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 01:43:12 PM

Too early?

The nature of speculative bubbles is everyone feels like a fool at some point, but the greatest fool is the one who didn't ever cash out (even greater than those who never bought any).

Selling 1/3 of my investment (purchased at ~$69) at $712 and buying it back today at $389 was one of the best moves I've ever made.  Nothing was lost and enough USD capital was freed to fund some of my future projects.  The fools are the ones that never acted at all.
Zomdifros (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 01:25:52 PM

It's happening.

Well it's starting, that's for sure. But this could go on for a few more years, going through multiple boom and bust cycles and reaching a higher platform each time. So far there's not that much money invested in Bitcoin yet, with individual investors still being the largest group. Even the venture capitalists seem to have invested more in Bitcoin related start-ups than in Bitcoin itself, never mind the really big institutional money.

Since the senate hearings I'm also more convinced the legal matters will be resolved in a way positive for the Bitcoin environment, as the politicians aren't complete idiots either and want to see economic growth, innovation and jobs. From this point on it's a waiting game until we reach much, much higher prices. The market will probably overreact at some point as it did with the dot-com bubble in the late nineties and enter a longer period of stagnation, but even the peak might still be a few years away from now.

tonychow

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:43:41 AM

7 million bitcoins never move? This is a confusing claim. First of all, the paper use a 3 month threshold. But it is too aggressive to say anything on a 3 month period. Second, 7 million is the number that is received by an address which never sent. But this is not quite related to the concept of dormant bitcoin. The reason why we have this high number, is because, most of the transaction, when the owner sends some bitcoins, the remainings will send to a new address, rather than keeping in the old address. If you look at Dormant Bitcoin Chart at dormantbitcoin.com, you can have a clear picture how many bitcoins are dormant. 
qiwoman

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:19:22 AM

Bitcoin is showing us the way to the Future and 100 years form now they will write this story as a great peace of advancement for the Human Race at least technologically speaking. Although more advance digital currencies will come into play they will all probably be linked to Bitcoin just like U.S dollars are mostly linked to the world currency prices and a marker for exchange. Remember also that BTC is not just an exchange of money it has so many other intrinsic values attached to it. I can easily see the price of BTC going towards the Million USD mark within the next 10 years as the market cap keeps increasing and the demand, services and companies grow using BTC as their primary currency of exchange or service. Smiley
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:02:14 AM

Bitcoin is showing us the way to the Future and 100 years form now they will write this story as a great peace of advancement for the Human Race at least technologically speaking. Although more advance digital currencies will come into play they will all probably be linked to Bitcoin just like U.S dollars are mostly linked to the world currency prices and a marker for exchange. Remember also that BTC is not just an exchange of money it has so many other intrinsic values attached to it. I can easily see the price of BTC going towards the Million USD mark within the next 10 years as the market cap keeps increasing and the demand, services and companies grow using BTC as their primary currency of exchange or service. Smiley

+1 .. thanks qiwoman!

Xav

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:19:08 AM

7 million bitcoins never move? This is a confusing claim. First of all, the paper use a 3 month threshold. But it is too aggressive to say anything on a 3 month period. Second, 7 million is the number that is received by an address which never sent. But this is not quite related to the concept of dormant bitcoin. The reason why we have this high number, is because, most of the transaction, when the owner sends some bitcoins, the remainings will send to a new address, rather than keeping in the old address. If you look at Dormant Bitcoin Chart at dormantbitcoin.com, you can have a clear picture how many bitcoins are dormant. 

I think the amount of dormant coins is even much worse than this 7 million, if you take into consideration that the big-users have multiple addresses and move from one address to another occasionally - let's call this "sleep-walking"; it is something I noticed when looking at the top 100 addresses.
mestar

Activity: 407

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:22:45 PM

Bitcoin needs to pass certain evolutionary stages before it reaches the singularity.

Yes, first it has to pass trough the pricedownduetominingularity phase.

tonychow

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:27:59 AM

I think the amount of dormant coins is even much worse than this 7 million, if you take into consideration that the big-users have multiple addresses and move from one address to another occasionally - let's call this "sleep-walking"; it is something I noticed when looking at the top 100 addresses.

In your sleep-walking case, the bitcoin should not be considered dormant. The definition of dormancy is the time duration since last sent.

Also, I believe the largest addresses are associated with some service provider, such as coinbase.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: