Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:05:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Bitcoin Wallets that do encrypted messaging?  (Read 360 times)
arcticlava (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 05:21:00 PM

One can easily insert a public note into a transaction, but it is not encrypted. It would be useful to encrypt small amounts of data in this field, such that only the recipient of the transaction can decrypt it, using their own private key.

Any current wallets support this? (I am aware of bitmessage, but that is a different blockchain. I am only talking about the btc blockchain, not alts).
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 05:25:43 PM

One can easily insert a public note into a transaction, but it is not encrypted. It would be useful to encrypt small amounts of data in this field, such that only the recipient of the transaction can decrypt it, using their own private key.

Any current wallets support this? (I am aware of bitmessage, but that is a different blockchain. I am only talking about the btc blockchain, not alts).

You could use the OP_RETURN bytes to do this but as there are only 80 such bytes I think that would make it pretty difficult to add anything other than a very small encrypted message.

The point of Bitcoin is not encrypted messaging or the like - it is just an open, distributed ledger with no central control.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
arcticlava (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 06:34:10 PM

You could use the OP_RETURN bytes to do this but as there are only 80 such bytes I think that would make it pretty difficult to add anything other than a very small encrypted message.

The point of Bitcoin is not encrypted messaging or the like - it is just an open, distributed ledger with no central control.

I am thinking of just an encrypted token for use by an OAuth Provider. Not sure how many bytes that would be. I would have thought that one of the wallet apps would have taken advantage of this field by now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: