Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:27:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fastest way for donators to recieve bitcoins in order to donate to me?  (Read 478 times)
Pyrux (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 10:38:50 PM

Even the subject line sounds complicated. Grr.

I'd absolutely love to use bitcoins in order to recieve donations for a project I'm part of; the plus side for me is the anonymity that I wouldn't get by accepting donations through PayPal for example, which remains the fastest and easiest way for supporters to donate.

The problem here is that in my experience, Bitcoins seem so, so hard to get. Typically my donators would have to confirm their bank details with a trading platform then make a non-automated trade, or buy far too much bitcoin compared to the amount they want to donate, etc. Or mine the bitcoins themselves.

But of course, most of my supporters haven't got or most likely haven't even heard of Bitcoin; so that's out of the question and the likelihood they'll have a bitcoin wallet with bitcoin ready to donate is next to none.

Therefore I'm coming to you guys to ask you if, honestly, Bitcoin is a viable donation currency? Be realistic, most people are unlikely to donate if they have to do a great deal more work than click a paypal donation button. So what would be the fastest way for people to get bitcoin in order to donate to me? I wouldn't even care if I only received 70% of the value of their actual donation or something, I'm non-profit, I just need to have enough so that I don't have to pay out of pocket in order to support my project.

Thanks Smiley
veteranBtc

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 11:28:39 PM

PayPal > Wrong way

Pyrux (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 11:31:18 PM

Im going to be honest... I have completely no idea what your reply means.

Paypal is greater than the wrong way? Or PayPal is the wrong way? Wrong way to do what? Useless.
veteranBtc

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 11:34:42 PM

Just want to say, PayPal steal money from people!
I just lost 150$

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 11:34:49 PM

I'd absolutely love to use bitcoins in order to recieve donations for a project I'm part of; the plus side for me is the anonymity that I wouldn't get by accepting donations through PayPal for example, which remains the fastest and easiest way for supporters to donate.

The problem here is that in my experience, Bitcoins seem so, so hard to get. Typically my donators would have to confirm their bank details with a trading platform then make a non-automated trade, or buy far too much bitcoin compared to the amount they want to donate, etc. Or mine the bitcoins themselves.

But of course, most of my supporters haven't got or most likely haven't even heard of Bitcoin; so that's out of the question and the likelihood they'll have a bitcoin wallet with bitcoin ready to donate is next to none.

Therefore I'm coming to you guys to ask you if, honestly, Bitcoin is a viable donation currency? Be realistic, most people are unlikely to donate if they have to do a great deal more work than click a paypal donation button. So what would be the fastest way for people to get bitcoin in order to donate to me? I wouldn't even care if I only received 70% of the value of their actual donation or something, I'm non-profit, I just need to have enough so that I don't have to pay out of pocket in order to support my project.

Thanks Smiley
veteranBtc is just saying that Paypal sucks.

Anyway, if you're looking at your current donor base, then no, BTC isn't a viable option.  You're right - the likelihood that any of them know about Bitcoin is quite slim.  What would work though, is accepting BTC donations, then creating a thread here and in other Bitcoin communities displaying your works and telling them that you accept BTC donations.
veteranBtc

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 11:38:22 PM

Thanks Smiley
veteranBtc is just saying that Paypal sucks.

Anyway, if you're looking at your current donor base, then no, BTC isn't a viable option.  You're right - the likelihood that any of them know about Bitcoin is quite slim.  What would work though, is accepting BTC donations, then creating a thread here and in other Bitcoin communities displaying your works and telling them that you accept BTC donations.
That's nice, that you can get Btc here for your well finished works  Smiley

Pyrux (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 11:56:05 PM

Oh, I'd agree PayPal are a terrible online trading platform, however when accepting donations they're not hard to deal with, chargebacks don't really matter for example, as there was no product sold.

And cheers; but it's really a current or niche donor base I'm looking to cater for seeing as most Bitcoin communities probably aren't interested in my project unfortunately.

Still looking for an easy-to-donate donation setup then, in which my anonymity is protected. One of my ideas unfortunately involved a burden of trust, and required the use of paypal, which unfortunately probably won't be suitable for this community either, but from what you've said it's all I've got, so I'll pitch it anyway:

- "The Lender" which in this case is a party other than myself, is required to have a reasonable amount of bitcoin. The Lender will act as a middleman for donations to "me"; "The Project".
- The Lender receives all donations to the Project by PayPal. This arrangement should be set up so that The Project can track all incoming donations to The Lender and confirm if a donation is later subject to chargeback.
- At the end of each day, (or x time period that satisfies The Lender whilst making sure fluctuations in the exchange rate for USD-BTC do not greatly effect the value of donations) the spot price for BTC is taken from an exchange and increased by a commission percentage agreed beforehand to become the "Exchange Price", the total amount of donations during x time period is then divided by the Exchange Price to give the amount of BTC that is owed to The Project.
- The Project then receives said amount of BTC.
- Any donations that are later subject to chargeback (I expect very few will be in my case, but that's somewhat arbitrary) will have the appropriate amount of BTC refunded to The Lender.

But again, this is all I can think of; it's probably not suitable though. Thoughts?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: