Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:07:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Client Distribution Resiliance Effort  (Read 1186 times)
fabianhjr (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:54:27 PM

Since we are getting a lot of media, I prepared a torrent with the latest release for all released binaries - Windows, Windows(Zip), Mac OSX, Linux(UNIX) - in TPB. It also includes the sources and I encourage everyone to compile if they know how to.

Please help seeding and passing around. This will ensure new users can still easily get the client.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6458302

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:56:25 PM

Since we are getting a lot of media, I prepared a torrent with the latest release for all released binaries - Windows, Windows(Zip), Mac OSX, Linux(UNIX) - in TPB. It also includes the sources and I encourage everyone to compile if they know how to.

Please help seeding and passing around. This will ensure new users can still easily get the client.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6458302

How did you solve the trust problem with there suddenly being 50 different torrents where 49 of them contains trojaned versions that steal bitcoins from users?

fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:00:42 PM

As I said, source is included and I encourage you to compile from it. The binaries are provided for easy of use.

I will be in charge of torrenting the releases if you want. I am a trusted member.

titeuf_87

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:01:59 PM

People can download this and check if the hash is the same one as the one on the official download page (assuming there is one on there)

15kfBM3TQ4PGzL7cKncU3su2pH7ZJmiLtr
fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:02:36 PM

There is no hash provided, however I invite everyone to check for themselves.

defxor

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:06:06 PM

As I said, source is included and I encourage you to compile from it. The binaries are provided for easy of use.

I will be in charge of torrenting the releases if you want. I am a trusted member.

Yes, but casual users don't know that (and they very much won't compile their own binaries or verify hashes - we're talking Bitcoin going mainstream here). It's a lot better having everyone going to a known place to download the official clients and being told that that's the only way of being sure, than having them trying to figure out which torrent is safe and which isn't.

fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:08:49 PM

We can link to it or even open a tracker. I am telling you this is safe.

Download all the binaries of 0.3.22 and the source and then put them in the same folder as where you are going to download the torrent. They match. I didn't made a single change.

titeuf_87

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:09:38 PM

Another solution would be putting that torrent on the bitcoin website, like a lot of linux distro do.

15kfBM3TQ4PGzL7cKncU3su2pH7ZJmiLtr
fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:11:34 PM

Yes that is what I mean with linking. So far, I could take charge for it. I am preparing the older releases.

defxor

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:15:31 PM

We can link to it or even open a tracker. I am telling you this is safe.

Download all the binaries of 0.3.22 and the source and then put them in the same folder as where you are going to download the torrent. They match. I didn't made a single change.

I'm not questioning your release, I'm saying we will have trust problems when users don't understand which of 50 different torrents is safe to download and which one isn't.

(Linking helps somewhat, yes, it's a good suggestion. If so - state in the torrent descriptions that only torrents linked to from bitcoin.org should be implicitly trusted)
fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:20:00 PM

I will see if I can get approval to manage torrent releases. It uses some Open Trackers so the only thing would be to put the .torrent on the frontpage.

So, admins, can you help us help you help us all? Yeah.

joan

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:50:01 PM

(Linking helps somewhat, yes, it's a good suggestion. If so - state in the torrent descriptions that only torrents linked to from bitcoin.org should be implicitly trusted)
I thought this whole thread point was to have a way to diffuse the client in the event that the main website is taken down?

Anyway, the main executable is stored on sourceforge, and the dev version on github. They are not likely to suffer from large influx of new users.
Also, going through the sourceforge filter allows to estimate the number of download more accurately.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: