Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:02:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Table comparing Bitcoin's utility vs. cash and gold?  (Read 2656 times)
Zangelbert Bingledack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:43:48 PM

I'm looking for something like this:

Cash      Gold       Bitcoins

Instantly transportable worldwide       YES        NO         YES
Giant online transactions possible       NO         NO         YES
Small online transactions possible      NO         NO         YES
Impossible to inflate                               NO         YES        YES
Fast transactions across borders        NO          NO         YES
Unfreezable account                               NO          N/A       YES
Private online transactions possible    NO          NO         YES
Not confiscate-able                                 NO          NO         YES
Etc...

Bitcoin has such an overwhelming host of benefits that it's easy for people to be incredulous or forget about them in the confusion they encounter when evaluating the concept. It may help adoption to have a handy table like this so people can see all the heavy-hitting points in one place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Killdozer

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:39:24 PM

Well, I mean format what you wrote there better and there you have it? Put it into the wiki perhaps?

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:43:53 PM

Instantly transportable worldwide       YES        NO         YES
Small online transactions possible      NO         NO         YES
Impossible to inflate                               NO         YES        YES
Fast transactions across borders        NO          NO         YES
Unfreezable account                               NO          N/A       YES
Private online transactions possible    NO          NO         YES
Not confiscate-able                                 NO          NO         YES
Etc...

Bitcoin has such an overwhelming host of benefits that it's easy for people to be incredulous or forget about them in the confusion they encounter when evaluating the concept. It may help adoption to have a handy table like this so people can see all the heavy-hitting points in one place.

Please tell me how I can instantly transport cash worldwide.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
jerfelix

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 09:17:41 PM

And I wouldn't say that Bitcoin is impossible to inflate.

There's a published inflation schedule, and it has inflated every day since its existence.  In fact, on its second day, inflation was 100%.  Not a good start!   Grin

It has scheduled inflation well into the 22nd century.  It's still a positive for Bitcoin relative to the others, but your header is  incorrect, saying it's "impossible".

Also, for those that fear that deflation will cause people to hoard bitcoins and spend their Dollars/Yen/etc., you have to realize that it works both ways.  As a merchant, I prefer bitcoin, and so am more likely to offer a better price to receive bitcoins.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 09:26:21 PM

you can inflate gold (and bitcoins) easily if you kill, say, half of the population.

we don't trust our governments these days do we  Embarrassed

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:24:48 AM

This was just an example... what I meant to ask is does such a table exist??
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 02:35:08 AM

This is perhaps a little closer to what you're after:

Code:
                                       Bank Acc Cash      Gold       Bitcoins
Instantly transportable worldwide      YES      NO        NO         YES
Giant online transactions possible     YES      NO        NO         YES
Micro online transactions possible     NO       NO        NO         YES
Impossible to inflate                  NO       NO        YES        YES
Fast transactions across borders       NO       NO        NO         YES
Unfreezable account                    NO       YES       N/A?       YES
Private online transactions possible   NO       NO        NO         YES
Not confiscate-able                    NO       YES?      NO?        YES

Maybe a couple of the values need some discussion but it's not far off (content-wise) - perhaps we could think about adding it to the Wiki?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:40:42 AM

Code:
Not confiscate-able                    NO       YES       NO         YES

Maybe a couple of the values need some discussion but it's not far off (content-wise) - perhaps we could think about adding it to the Wiki?

I would say the confiscation of gold is a point of debate.  I know gold was confiscated in the past, but you could argue that you could hide it in a successful manner.
deadweasel

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:42:20 AM

Code:
Not confiscate-able                    NO       YES       NO         YES

I would say the confiscation of gold is a point of debate.  I know gold was confiscated in the past, but you could argue that you could hide it in a successful manner.

agreed.  like, a hole in the ground.  then say you donated to charity if they show your bank account txns to coinabul or whatever. 

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 02:42:37 AM

Added a ? to that one too (put them in a few other debatable spots).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 03:19:54 AM

I made a similar chart not long ago at http://shiresilver.com/currency_comparison
I know it could use better wordsmithing, but there might be some ideas of use.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 03:22:04 AM

Nice one - I think it is also less biased towards Bitcoin so actually a better approach.

ShireSilver

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 03:32:13 AM

Nice one - I think it is also less biased towards Bitcoin so actually a better approach.

I also tried to make it not be biased towards my own product, at least to the extent that I can :-)

I'm trying to learn how to better market both bitcoins and my Shire Silver. There's a decent amount of Austrians who do care about stuff like sound money and inflation and all that, but most folks really don't care. Gotta work the angles they are interested in like that bitcoin transactions can't be reversed. I talked to a local convenience store owner the other day and just casually brought up bitcoins. His ears really perked up when I mentioned that there's no charge-backs and then I talked about the really low fees. [I had brought it up by asking him if I should use my card as debit or credit so as to save him fees. Apparently the formulas make a difference depending on the amount you're spending.]

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 05:25:51 AM

I made a similar chart not long ago at http://shiresilver.com/currency_comparison

That's what I was looking for. We could make different tables for different audiences. Some could be more sales-pitch-like and some could be optimized for seeming fair and balanced while still showing BTC's obvious superiority for certain situations. Some could be targeted toward libertarians, some toward investors, some toward privacy freaks, some toward merchants, some toward the man on the street.

The idea is that during the long process of wrapping your head around Bitcoin and going through skeptical phases, you never lose sight of the extremely compelling advantages.
Vince Torres

Activity: 337

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 06:57:29 AM

This is bullshit and you're using a strawman argument with cash.

-Cash can be deposited in the bank and transfered in any quantity instantaneously. So that points moot.

-Cash can't technically be inflated, its a cotton and wool base and doesn't leave any room for air.

-I can hand cash over to my buddy across any (fenceless) border, imaginary or otherwise.

-I guess you can freeze my bank account, but you'd ruin the money.

-Who the fuck is monitoring me buying shit?

-confiscate-able isn't a real word. You can't do not a real word to cash.

Boom you fucking suck.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 10:13:31 AM

i also tried this a while ago

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58547.0

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
ShireSilver

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 02:19:48 PM

That's what I was looking for. We could make different tables for different audiences. Some could be more sales-pitch-like and some could be optimized for seeming fair and balanced while still showing BTC's obvious superiority for certain situations. Some could be targeted toward libertarians, some toward investors, some toward privacy freaks, some toward merchants, some toward the man on the street.

The idea is that during the long process of wrapping your head around Bitcoin and going through skeptical phases, you never lose sight of the extremely compelling advantages.

Yes. Having multiple versions, that don't contradict each other, for different audiences would be helpful. Having links to further explanations is good too but the table itself should be kept simple and easy to read.

klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:30:21 PM

atm this is simply not true. sorry, giant meens 10 ; 9 or at least 8 digits

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:33:25 PM

Zangelbert, check out Bitcoin Magazine #7.  On page 6, there's a fairly complete and lengthy table like what you're looking for, albeit comparing BTC to "Digitized Money" (i.e. noncash electronic balances).  it should be easy to add 2 more columns covering metals and physical cash.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4463

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 01:03:41 AM

Instantly transportable worldwide                      YES       NO         YES
Giant online transactions possible                      NO        NO         YES
Small online transactions possible                      NO        NO         YES
Impossible to inflate                                         NO        YES        YES
Fast transactions across borders                        NO         NO         YES  1
Unfreezable account                                         NO        N/A         YES
Private online transactions possible                    NO         NO         YES  2
Not confiscate-able                                          NO          NO         YES  3
Etc...

every rule has its exception
1. im standing at the border between 2 countries. with a gold nugget in my hand. a friend of mine is on the other side of the fence.. i throw him the gold nugget.. quarter of a second, no complaints
now im standing at the same fence, with a laptop, a friend of mine on the other side is doing the same. we are trying to find a wifi hotspot. we manage it finally, i send the bitcoin, he doesnt trust the coin is physically in his hand so he waits atleast 10 minutes for a confirmation.

2.email received (safety deposit box 279 at london bank holds the gold and cash, combination: 898934 it is now yours, bank has been informed of new owner. goodbye)

3. cash stored secretly is a fireproof box - cant confiscate it
    gold stored secretly is a fireproof box - cant confiscate it
    virus, hackers, scams take your coin - CAN confiscate it

again every rule has an exception

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: