Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:12:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Thursday I will have 20 minutes to present bitcoin to 150 businessmen/women  (Read 4969 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:02:19 PM

Lat year Tony Gallipi gave a great presentation on the business case for Bitcoin usage.  I'd steal from his talk as appropriate...

Expanding the Bitcoin Business Community
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4rH6wu25U
yoyoceramic (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:03:31 PM

Thank you!  I will definitely consult this.

Lat year Tony Gallipi gave a great presentation on the business case for Bitcoin usage.  I'd steal from his talk as appropriate...

Expanding the Bitcoin Business Community
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4rH6wu25U

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:04:26 PM

Ok all, if you could please comment on how this short "Bio" can be improved or altered please let me know!  I really want to present bitcoin as a credible, viable tool for small business owners and persons.  I need to send it to the printer today.  As a reminder, this is what will appear in our weekly newsletter that is placed at each person's seat before lunch.

Mark Russell is a hobbyist trader in the emerging, web currency called Bitcoin.  Mark has been involved and active with the Bitcoin markets since early 2011.  He believes Bitcoin will be the most disruptive technology his generation will see in the area of digital commerce.  

Bitcoin is a non-political, online, digital currency that is brought into existence at a fixed and predictable rate.  A limited number of them will be issued and then no more.  This means that unlike traditional currencies which are created by central banks and governments, the value of Bitcoin cannot be destroyed by inflation, nor can it be physically confiscated.  There is no entity or group of persons which have rights or title to Bitcoin; there is not a Bitcoin building nor is there a Bitcoin corporation.  Bitcoins are secured by advanced mathematical algorithms that prevent counterfeiting.  

These features mean that any business can accept payment from a customer across the globe at a zero cost without having to rely on a 3rd party payment processor.  In November of 2012, Bitcoin made headlines across the web after the world’s 20th largest website, Wordpress, began to receive Bitcoins as payment.  Several months ago Iranians began to flock to Bitcoin as the value of their currency went into total free fall.  

Bitcoins may be used to purchase anything from flat screen televisions, to music, to webhosting, or pizza.  Any person with a smartphone or computer can send and receive Bitcoin without needing to trust a 3rd party such as a bank or credit card company.  In this sense, Bitcoin is purely democratic.  This “spread out” of “decentralized” nature of Bitcoin makes it indestructible by governments or Federal banking intervention.  

In Las Vegas already, there are auto mechanics, realtors, handy men, hospitality services, and other successful business that accept Bitcoin.  Companies such as these have the option to use local exchangers or online services to convert their Bitcoin to USD.  As Bitcoin continues to be adopted, it will be seen as a currency in its own right against which all other currencies will measure their value.  At the time of this writing, 1 Bitcoin is equal to appx 23 US Dollars.  To learn more about Bitcoin or to start receiving and sending them, visit blockchain.info or coinbase.com

If you're talking to business owners I'd include a link to bitpay.com along with blockchain.info and coinbase.com
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:05:09 PM

I find the best way to introduce it to new businesses is as a new payment network.

The Bitcoin network is one that provides secure transactions anywhere in the world with (virtually) no chargeback risk. It is revolutionary because it allows anyone to create an application, wallet or tool within the network. That will in turn work with anything else in the Bitcoin network without any restriction. It uses digital tokens called Bitcoins which can't be counterfeited and get their value from their scarcity.

Another big advantage is the built in identity protection. When you are making payments through traditional payment networks the act of making payment exposes you to the risk of fraud. If I was to display my credit card number it would most certainly be compromised and my identity could be stolen. Bitcoin addresses are secured with banking level security (don't bother explaining SHA-256 unless they ask) so they can be displayed with zero risk of being compromised.

Why should they care about some digital token payment network they might wonder? The best part is they don't have to because companies such as WalletBit provide seamless integration into their business. We for example provide automatic risk free conversion to local currency for as low as 2.75%. It doesn't cost them anything to get started and they don't need any special equipment (think credit card machines, etc).

That is at least the general approach I take.
Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:05:48 PM

Several months ago Iranians began to flock to Bitcoin as the value of their currency went into total free fall.  

I would leave the thing on Iran out of it, since it's not true: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/common-misconceptions-about-bitcoin-a-guide-for-journalists/

bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:06:20 PM

If you're talking to business owners I'd include a link to bitpay.com along with blockchain.info and coinbase.com

Don't forget walletbit.com
yoyoceramic (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:08:27 PM

Ah wow - thanks for the factual correction on the Iran story.  I never bothered to verify it.  I will strike that.

The advice on including a payment processor such as bitpay.com is good, I will add that.

Also, I appreciate the advice on presenting bitcoin as a payment network.  That is good, as well as the identity components.  I may work that into my talk and integrate it into that article.
hackjealousy

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:12:14 PM

if you use the word "decentralized", expect that nobody understands it. even if you explain it in a few sentences and tell them, that this means it cannot be shut down, they will not understand you. trust me ... the concept behind this word is way out of reach for these folks. good look finding a good analogy!

The analogy you're looking for is easy.

The word they all know that perfectly describes decentralized is, "Internet."
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:15:42 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2013, 06:38:45 PM by cypherdoc

this is pretty darn good.  just inserted minor corrections, changes:

Ok all, if you could please comment on how this short "Bio" can be improved or altered please let me know!  I really want to present bitcoin as a credible, viable tool for small business owners and persons.  I need to send it to the printer today.  As a reminder, this is what will appear in our weekly newsletter that is placed at each person's seat before lunch.

Mark Russell is a hobbyist trader in the emerging, web currency called Bitcoin.  Mark has been involved and active with the Bitcoin markets since early 2011.  He believes Bitcoin will be the most disruptive digital commerce technology his our generation will ever see.  in the area of digital commerce.  

Bitcoin is a non-political, online, digital currency that is brought into existence at a fixed and predictable rate.  A limited number of them will be issued and then no more.  This means that unlike traditional fiat currencies which are created by central banks and governments, the value of Bitcoin cannot be destroyed by inflation, nor can it be physically confiscated.  There is no entity or group of persons which have rights or title to Bitcoin; there is not a no Bitcoin building nor is there a Bitcoin corporation.  Bitcoins are secured by advanced mathematical algorithms that prevent counterfeiting.  

These features mean that any business can accept payment from a customer across the globe at a zero cost less than a penny without having to rely on a 3rd party payment processor.  In November of 2012, Bitcoin made headlines across the web after the world’s 20th largest website, Wordpress, began to receive Bitcoins as payment.  Several months ago Iranians For the last 4 years since it's inception, thousands of people around the world have begun to flock to Bitcoin as the value of their currencies have been debased. went into total free fall.  

Bitcoins may be used to purchase anything from flat screen televisions, to music, to webhosting, or pizza.  Any person with a smartphone or computer can send and receive Bitcoin without needing to trust a 3rd party such as a bank or credit card company.  In this sense, Bitcoin is purely democratic.  This “spread out” of or “decentralized” nature of Bitcoin makes it indestructible by governments or Federal banking intervention.  

In Las Vegas already, there are auto mechanics, realtors, handy men, hospitality services, and other successful business businesses that accept Bitcoin.  Companies such as these have the option to use local exchangers or online services to convert their Bitcoin to USD. Or, many choose to hold them as a store of value. As Bitcoin continues to be adopted, it will be seen as a currency in its own right against which all other currencies will be measured measure their value.  At the time of this writing, 1 Bitcoin is equal to appx approximately 23 US Dollars.  

To learn more about Bitcoin or to start receiving and sending them, visit blockchain.info or coinbase.com Bitcoin.org.

i would avoid endorsing any one entity thus the Bitcoin.org link.

i also might remove the Iranian reference.

see additional mods.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:18:31 PM

I think that the first question that you should ask yourself is, what do I want them to understand?

-the libertarian "the gov. will never be able to touch my money again" mess
-the "bitcoin is worth at least 10 times its now (possibly untrue) you should invest" stuff
-the irreversible transactions advantages
-the amazingness of giving a currency to the people

Etc etc etc.

I think that first of all you should mark a list of points.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
PetrovMichael

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:19:09 PM

Decentralized as in gold. No goverment issues gold, it's just there. Governments can mine and regulate it, but they don't issue it.
not exactly... goverment can prohibit gold... goverment can prohibit torrent tracker... goverment can try to prohibit p2p... but it is very difficult to prohibit p2p... conclusion - anti-fragility of bitcoin much greater than anti-fragility of gold (remember The Roosevelt Gold Confiscation Order Of April 3 1933)... this is the point why bitcoin better than gold... the goverment can collect gold... the govement can collect bitcoin... the goverment can regulate distribution of gold... the goverment can not regulate distribution of bitcoin...
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:21:38 PM

These features mean that any business can accept payment from a customer across the globe at for less than a penny without having to rely on a 3rd party payment processor.
yoyoceramic (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:22:34 PM

Cypher doc, Thank you for these corrections and improvements.

this is pretty darn good.  just inserted minor corrections, changes:

Mark Russell is a hobbyist trader in the emerging, web currency called Bitcoin.  Mark has been involved and active with the Bitcoin markets since early 2011.  He believes Bitcoin will be the most disruptive digital commerce technology his our generation will ever see.  in the area of digital commerce.  

Bitcoin is a non-political, online, digital currency that is brought into existence at a fixed and predictable rate.  A limited number of them will be issued and then no more.  This means that unlike traditional fiat currencies which are created by central banks and governments, the value of Bitcoin cannot be destroyed by inflation, nor can it be physically confiscated.  There is no entity or group of persons which have rights or title to Bitcoin; there is not a no Bitcoin building nor is there a Bitcoin corporation.  Bitcoins are secured by advanced mathematical algorithms that prevent counterfeiting.  

These features mean that any business can accept payment from a customer across the globe at a zero cost less than a penny without having to rely on a 3rd party payment processor.  In November of 2012, Bitcoin made headlines across the web after the world’s 20th largest website, Wordpress, began to receive Bitcoins as payment.  Several months ago Iranians began to flock to Bitcoin as the value of their currency went into total free fall.  

Bitcoins may be used to purchase anything from flat screen televisions, to music, to webhosting, or pizza.  Any person with a smartphone or computer can send and receive Bitcoin without needing to trust a 3rd party such as a bank or credit card company.  In this sense, Bitcoin is purely democratic.  This “spread out” of or “decentralized” nature of Bitcoin makes it indestructible by governments or Federal banking intervention.  

In Las Vegas already, there are auto mechanics, realtors, handy men, hospitality services, and other successful business businesses that accept Bitcoin.  Companies such as these have the option to use local exchangers or online services to convert their Bitcoin to USD. Or, many choose to hold them as a store of value.  As Bitcoin continues to be adopted, it will be seen as a currency in its own right against which all other currencies will be measured measure their value.  At the time of this writing, 1 Bitcoin is equal to appx approximately 23 US Dollars.  

To learn more about Bitcoin or to start receiving and sending them, visit blockchain.info or coinbase.com

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:28:38 PM

These features mean that any business can accept payment from a customer across the globe at for less than a penny without having to rely on a 3rd party payment processor.

yes.
yoyoceramic (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 06:42:26 PM

Sweet - Off to the printer once I get a suitable portrait.

At any rate, if there are any more resources anyone of you would recommend to me to consult to see examples of bitcoin explained clearly, please let me know.

Mark
Jaron @ Coinsetter

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 08:36:19 PM

Hey Mark, I'm the co-founder of a trading platform launching in a few weeks and live in Las Vegas too. We're going to base the company out of Los Angeles, but I'd love to get together while I'm in town.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:48:55 PM

You should start the show with this clip from <<Bourne Identidy>>:

Bourne need to hide his money in a swiss bank account, but you only need to hide your asset in a mini private key, and even better a brain wallet password  Cheesy

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 09:12:34 PM

Bourne need to hide his money in a swiss bank account, but you only need to hide your asset in a mini private key, and even better a brain wallet password  Cheesy

Bourne would've just memorized the whole private key (they're not that long, anyways).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 09:26:59 PM

Bourne would've just memorized the whole private key (they're not that long, anyways).

go ahead, tell me that you have your's memorized.  i'd be impressed.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 09:57:49 PM

It's a hard currency that is not controlled by politics or any specific organization.

cjgames.com
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: