Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:14:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else hate posting restrictions?  (Read 1069 times)
Dysperium (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:07:20 AM

I sort of understand the posting restrictions, but it seems somewhat ridiculous at the same time. I'm not the type of person that will just post something until I've done some pretty extensive research first. I will spend a lot of time reading other posts and gathering the information I need without ever posting anything. Honestly, I rarely even register with forums. But this one is a bit different because the community aspect can be a real advantage when using bitcoin. I must have spent at least 5 hours or more on this forum before even creating an account. And then I constantly forget to log in so my time will be logged.

I don't know, it just seems like I'm wasting my time, and other peoples, writing and reading posts simply to have access to other areas.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:10:23 AM

What I really hate are thread-starting newbies who complaint about posting restrictions.

I don't know, it just seems like I'm wasting my time, and other peoples, writing and reading posts about people wanting to have access to other areas.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:18:07 AM

If you feel that the restrictions shouldnt apply to you, you can skip them all by applying to be "whitelisted", but'cha better have a good reason ready.
The posting restrictions are so mild that it barely an issue, it solves So Many Problems that just dont appear because the restrictions exsist, we dont need a flood of 5k 1post account Beggars asking "can i just have 5000 satoshi to start with" "how do i get bitcoins?" "Whats mining?"

The restrictions are GREAT

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Dysperium (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:43:38 AM

Hahaha, that's exactly what I was talking about. You hate ridiculous posts about nothing. The only reason I started it was to be able to satisfy the restrictions. But thanks for the warm welcome all the same. It's nice to see that the internet is still full of people poised and ready with negativity to anything they feel even slightly irritates them.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:16:26 AM

Hahaha, that's exactly what I was talking about. You hate ridiculous posts about nothing. The only reason I started it was to be able to satisfy the restrictions. But thanks for the warm welcome all the same. It's nice to see that the internet is still full of people poised and ready with negativity to anything they feel even slightly irritates them.

If you manage a forum, and get threads like this (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=141709.0) plastered over the forums en masse each day, you'll be pretty surprised with the negativity you garner after a few days.
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:43:48 AM

i would even request higher conditions to get out of the newbie section.

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 04:43:49 AM

i would even request higher conditions to get out of the newbie section.

I actually put up a thread about that in the meta earlier today.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 04:47:31 AM

I sort of understand the posting restrictions, but it seems somewhat ridiculous at the same time. I'm not the type of person that will just post something until I've done some pretty extensive research first. I will spend a lot of time reading other posts and gathering the information I need without ever posting anything. Honestly, I rarely even register with forums. But this one is a bit different because the community aspect can be a real advantage when using bitcoin. I must have spent at least 5 hours or more on this forum before even creating an account. And then I constantly forget to log in so my time will be logged.

I don't know, it just seems like I'm wasting my time, and other peoples, writing and reading posts simply to have access to other areas.

Not your house, you don't make the rules. Deal with it.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 04:57:27 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat; I tend to make less posts with longer messages, than lots of posts with shorter messages.  So my post count won't be going up very quickly when compared to the time I'm actually around.

However, anything that can help protect the community from spam is cool with me.  A good thing about the restrictions; you don't have to enter a captcha for every message you post.  Captcha would effectively stop bots, but would annoy every single person ever for all eternity.  Instead, the restrictions instantly lock out bots and doesn't affect anyone after the restriction is lifted.

Also, newbie questions are locked to one place, allowing the mods some breathing space in the events topics have to be moved for being in the wrong spot (I haven't seen this happen often, maybe once since I've been here.  I'm willing to bet it's thanks to the restrictions.)

They're not hard to lift, either.  Post in 5 spots, lurk for 4 hours, all done.  Now, for increasing the requirements to lift restrictions...perhaps.  I feel they're currently adequate, but they also have certain problems attached with them.  If someone wanted to get straight to the loan boards to get right to the scamming, it's easy for them to escape the restrictions; it doesn't stop them.  It would be nice if it could, or if we had a system setup where people would vouch for the validity of another person's presence on this thread (Like a Karma system, where you could vote for the good someone does, and the bad.)  That way someone would have to, say, get at least 10 'thanks' or 'thumbs up' or '+1's before they were allowed to post in the loan board, forcing the person to actually interact with people (I know, terrible, considering this is a forum  Tongue )

mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 06:10:44 AM

It helps keep the spam out.  You have to want to be here.  It is cumbersome but makes for a better community.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 07:31:31 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2013, 12:05:26 PM by Lethn

For moderators and admins spam bots have to be the most annoying nuisance in the whole world to deal with, imagine if you got non-stop telemarketing calls that wouldn't persist unless you pulled the phone cord, that's basically what it's like when you're the admin of an internet forum. Even with the newer forums the wankers still find a way to get in and spam the shit out of everything on their profiles etc. It's nothing personal but this and banning I.P's is so far the only real solution that anyone has of stopping these twats, captcha's don't really work and tend to annoy the legitimate people who visit websites so that's not really much of an option.

This is also why you have some places that are invite only because spam bots aren't intelligent enough to get past that yet and of course most normal people aren't going to go out of there way to register to an invite only site and pass invites to them.
inge

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 12:03:53 PM

Nope, restrictions are a good anti-spam and trolling feature!
miTgiB

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

Du hast

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:32:56 PM

The restrictions wouldn't be here if some spammers didn't go wild in the past, gotta take the bad with the good
Thrawn

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 03:57:33 AM

Wish older users that were here prior to the new restriction policy was grandfathered though
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 04:05:44 AM

Hi Dysperium, most welcome to the interesting bitcoin forum! I understand that you're not the ordinary spammer type, there are plenty of those, and that's the reason why there's newbe restrictions. Just be sure to be logged in and do some posts, and you will soon be out of newbe land.

There was a very big problem on the forum for a while where all sorts of derelicts and scum came onto the main forums and spewed all kinds of nefarious and vomitting stuff, so these are measures put in place to prevent that from happening again.

So while there are a few people like you, there are many that needs to be held in their ears to behave, so the rules are general, and not for anyone in particular.

Hope to see you later in the main forums, and welcome again!
AunOMau

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 06:47:23 PM

I know how you feel. I do the same thing.
kosmokramer

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:01:55 PM

Yes. This is ridiculous. I have a problem connecting to a pool and I have the simplest question but have now spent an hour just trying to jump through hoops to ask it!

firstbits: 1kosmo | PGP Public Key
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:48:57 AM

If you feel that the restrictions shouldnt apply to you, you can skip them all by applying to be "whitelisted", but'cha better have a good reason ready.
The posting restrictions are so mild that it barely an issue, it solves So Many Problems that just dont appear because the restrictions exsist, we dont need a flood of 5k 1post account Beggars asking "can i just have 5000 satoshi to start with" "how do i get bitcoins?" "Whats mining?"

The restrictions are GREAT

actually, the ridiculous posts about nothing serve a very useful purpose: they identify the 'tards who need to be flagged with the "Ignore" button as wastes of bandwidth and oxygen.

Benja

Activity: 53

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:14:50 AM

It's far better to have restrictions than to have a spammy crap forum.
klmist

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:29:09 AM

Doesn't seem so bad.. at least there's no captchas! I hate those things..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: