Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 06:32:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ripple is a bad idea.  (Read 10625 times)
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 01:54:34 PM

[...]
free 10,000 coins
[...]

where?  Tongue

rHHaTtkc2mAu77Nou6Nbk34t6ooh9LPebi
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 01:55:50 PM

[...]
free 10,000 coins
[...]

where?  Tongue

rHHaTtkc2mAu77Nou6Nbk34t6ooh9LPebi

Grin rJAJuQLVp8JJaCfP3hT7ZCrVMRTFNYQcHi  Grin

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 11:57:51 PM

Joel ripple is your site? If so where can I get an explanation of how it works and if i like it how can I help?
I'm one of the people working on it. There's lots of explanatory material in the wiki: https://ripple.com/wiki

I think the concept behind Ripple is infinite rehypothecation. If someone accrues enough IOUs, then even if many of them are worthless, they all average out. It presupposes that bad debtors will not themselves aggregate enough Ripple points to matter to the system and will be weeded out. It makes sense if we presume that social pressures will determine the average value of Ripple tokens.  It's a numbers game that needs to be based on social science. I would really like to see the algorithms that go into determining the risk and value of the IOUs, but I have a feeling that this will not be forthcoming. If they are not absolutely revolutionary algorithms, then we are looking at a system that will be easily gamed.

I think the algorithms behind Ripple will make a quant blush.
Ripple IOUs are just balances, just like a bank balance. If you have a bank balance of $50, that means your bank owes you $50. For me to pay you $50, I give you a check. The system processes that check and then my bank owes me $50 less, your bank owes you $50 more, and you consider me to have paid you $50. Most likely, you would only hold your bank's IOUs, so the only worthless IOUs you have to worry about is if your bank fails.

Ripple will fail because of the same reasons Diaspora failed.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 12:19:26 AM

Huh? When did Diaspora fail? Last I heard it was just being developed and wasn't really fully built yet, else I would have given it a try. It looked like a come back in a year or few stage of development. Did the developers abandon it or something?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 12:23:06 AM

Huh? When did Diaspora fail? Last I heard it was just being developed and wasn't really fully built yet, else I would have given it a try. It looked like a come back in a year or few stage of development. Did the developers abandon it or something?

-MarkM-

I think its an example of the network effect where you join up and none of your friends are there. In the same way It is pointless to use ripple if you are the only one in your circle using it.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

If the people in your circle prefer to sell your personal info for basically nothing maybe leaving them behind isn't a bad thing.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 12:51:04 AM

Joel ripple is your site? If so where can I get an explanation of how it works and if i like it how can I help?
I'm one of the people working on it. There's lots of explanatory material in the wiki: https://ripple.com/wiki

I think the concept behind Ripple is infinite rehypothecation. If someone accrues enough IOUs, then even if many of them are worthless, they all average out. It presupposes that bad debtors will not themselves aggregate enough Ripple points to matter to the system and will be weeded out. It makes sense if we presume that social pressures will determine the average value of Ripple tokens.  It's a numbers game that needs to be based on social science. I would really like to see the algorithms that go into determining the risk and value of the IOUs, but I have a feeling that this will not be forthcoming. If they are not absolutely revolutionary algorithms, then we are looking at a system that will be easily gamed.

I think the algorithms behind Ripple will make a quant blush.
Ripple IOUs are just balances, just like a bank balance. If you have a bank balance of $50, that means your bank owes you $50. For me to pay you $50, I give you a check. The system processes that check and then my bank owes me $50 less, your bank owes you $50 more, and you consider me to have paid you $50. Most likely, you would only hold your bank's IOUs, so the only worthless IOUs you have to worry about is if your bank fails.

Ripple will fail because of the same reasons Diaspora failed.

I think DIASPORA* is far better off being run as not-for-profit and/or as .eepsites or .onion for the Pods as well.  Yes it needs a lot more development but just because the original foundation couldn't run at a profit doesn't mean DIASPORA* is dead or dying.  It's opensource and will be around as long as people use it

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 12:56:20 AM

I think its an example of the network effect where you join up and none of your friends are there. In the same way It is pointless to use ripple if you are the only one in your circle using it.
It's pointless to use the community credit aspect. But I don't think community credit is going to be a big deal for a long time. I'd love to be wrong about that, of course. I think community credit is an awesome idea.

Bitcoin had, and to some extent still has, much the same problem. What can you do with the bitcoin network? Well, you can send bitcoins to people. But unless you know people who want them or have them, that doesn't help you much.

The trick is to find ways to drive adoption in the absence of large amounts of existing adoption. That is a challenge. We have a few strategies to drive adoption, but the main one is to give away XRP and offer people a free alternative to existing payments systems.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 06:44:22 PM

It's pointless to use the community credit aspect. But I don't think community credit is going to be a big deal for a long time. I'd love to be wrong about that, of course. I think community credit is an awesome idea.

Bitcoin had, and to some extent still has, much the same problem. What can you do with the bitcoin network? Well, you can send bitcoins to people. But unless you know people who want them or have them, that doesn't help you much.

The trick is to find ways to drive adoption in the absence of large amounts of existing adoption. That is a challenge. We have a few strategies to drive adoption, but the main one is to give away XRP and offer people a free alternative to existing payments systems.

where? link please

somehow this reminds of the xkcd comic with the moral dilemma and the kill button  Tongue
nyusternie

Activity: 211

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 08:42:16 PM

OpenCoin Inc gets 80 billion ripples.

The founding developers get 20 billion ripples.

There is a hard limit of 100 billion ripples.

in other words, opencoin inc is comparable to the federal reserve. Go beg OpenCoin Inc for some ripples, you need them to even start using the service  Tongue

Wow! I had NO idea this is how it was going to work. When I received my 10,000 coins, I was like, "GREAT! that should be enough to get most of my friends involved." For weeks now, I've been rather excited about the idea of Ripple and how well it could compliment Bitcoin. But, I didn't realize that I'd be contributing to the prosperity of the OpenCoin Society and their honored members.

I have nothing against this model or the reasons behind it, I was just completely unaware. I plead ignorance. Is this information public anywhere, so that I may read and better understand their philosophy moving forward?

thanks,
s.

1SDoTrAWQnbJ2ZHvLs3a2XxazqNSishn1
GPG A1638B57 | OTC nyusternie
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 10:09:48 AM

OpenCoin Inc gets 80 billion ripples.

The founding developers get 20 billion ripples.

There is a hard limit of 100 billion ripples.

in other words, opencoin inc is comparable to the federal reserve. Go beg OpenCoin Inc for some ripples, you need them to even start using the service  Tongue

Wow! I had NO idea this is how it was going to work. When I received my 10,000 coins, I was like, "GREAT! that should be enough to get most of my friends involved." For weeks now, I've been rather excited about the idea of Ripple and how well it could compliment Bitcoin. But, I didn't realize that I'd be contributing to the prosperity of the OpenCoin Society and their honored members.

I have nothing against this model or the reasons behind it, I was just completely unaware. I plead ignorance. Is this information public anywhere, so that I may read and better understand their philosophy moving forward?

thanks,
s.

How do you get 10,000 XRP I only have 411 and can't send any to my friends who want to test it.  This is my wallet - rJAJuQLVp8JJaCfP3hT7ZCrVMRTFNYQcHi - and this is one of my friends who I can't grant any IOU's too or send any XRP - rqXLcc5EUZpMihsJ6c4C6H3pm7CSxcf7B - I have other friends too I'm trying to get to test the system.

Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:12:01 AM

what i need some coins too  Cheesy

rsuvuGXuWdoRUJXiLQ7z9kyM4tjuXgrZJs

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
nyusternie

Activity: 211

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 06:35:43 PM

well considering that none of my friends have accepted my invitation. this seems like a perfect opportunity to test out the system.

How do you get 10,000 XRP I only have 411 and can't send any to my friends who want to test it.  This is my wallet - rJAJuQLVp8JJaCfP3hT7ZCrVMRTFNYQcHi - and this is one of my friends who I can't grant any IOU's too or send any XRP - rqXLcc5EUZpMihsJ6c4C6H3pm7CSxcf7B - I have other friends too I'm trying to get to test the system.

what i need some coins too  Cheesy

rsuvuGXuWdoRUJXiLQ7z9kyM4tjuXgrZJs

just sent 1,000 to rJAJuQLVp8JJaCfP3hT7ZCrVMRTFNYQcHi
and another 1,000 to rsuvuGXuWdoRUJXiLQ7z9kyM4tjuXgrZJs

please let me know if you got em'

s.

1SDoTrAWQnbJ2ZHvLs3a2XxazqNSishn1
GPG A1638B57 | OTC nyusternie
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 08:22:48 AM

Cheers bud i got them  Smiley Smiley

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 01:04:20 PM

Thanks  Smiley

edit: sent on to friends to try as you need a minimum balance of 400XRP to perform a tx don't you?

phelix
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:51:58 PM

It would be nice to see proof-of-meaningful-work based ripple coins come up. For example seti or folding@home could hand out ious for work done.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:31:20 PM

I was under the impression that XRP are meaningless except for spam protection. They're like Bitcoin in that they have no physical backing, but also require trust.

Why not use BTC IOU's within Ripple for this purpose? Or grant XRP only by sending BTC to a public-key-only address? ("Burning" them)

If it IS a premine, then anyone should be able to fork and start a new ledger which backs the anti-spam currency with Bitcoin. Would such a fork be able to cooperate with an XRP-based network?

If it's not a premine and no one cares enough to fix it, I can understand why this added complexity isn't worth development time.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 07:13:25 PM

If it IS a premine, then anyone should be able to fork and start a new ledger which backs the anti-spam currency with Bitcoin. Would such a fork be able to cooperate with an XRP-based network?
Nobody's figured out how to do this yet, it's a very hard problem to solve.

See this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=133096.msg1541453#msg1541453

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Milkshake

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Milkshake

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 12:34:49 AM

Ripple = 100% premined coin

Ripple won't ever succeed  Grin Grin Grin

TradeFortress has left me negative trust and has provided no proof to substantiate his claim. He has done this to discredit me as I am investigating him.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 12:51:50 AM

Joel,

Why would someone want to run a ripple server?  With bitcoin, miners are rewarded.  With ripple...Huh

Thx.

Jim
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: