Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:24:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one solo mine Alt Coins?  (Read 5795 times)
maunderingcabal (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Don't dwell in the past, don't dream of the future

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 11:23:48 AM

I have mined pools hosted online, but I don't understand what I need for solo mining on my own machine. And how to do say DVC, PPC, or TRC. I don't understand how to use the Git hub stuff, is it linux files...? Does anyone have a laymen's explanation to get started with solomining? Thanks. WTF is -qt

You like my post? Buy me a beer for ฿0.01
13KKQYQLmDFaTtcoPDtnt3My1PPUdcc8AL
My website/blog/bitcoin store
maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 11:44:00 AM

herp derp, I finally after hours of searching found

This Guide

I finally got a working, non-linux version of the terra wallet. (-qt) and I guess you just point the miner to the -qt file? Gonna try.

FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 11:50:48 AM

Ok I think i should be able to help you a little...

Firstly Qt is just the User Interface used in bitcoin and altcoin clients.... all were first developed to run as just a daemon (the bitcoind file)

Secondly the Github contains the uncompiled source code (and sometimes the latest compiled versions for various Opperating Systems) if you are running linux you can make the daemons and Qt versions so that you know you have compiled from the original source code, it can be much much harder to compile the code under windows so ideally you will want to download a zip of the latest win32 binaries or your matching OS if 64 and offered.

Say you are on Windows;
You download the latest windows binaries for bitcoin as a zip file... when you unzip you will have two .exe files (Bitcoin-Qt and bitcoind) if this is the case then you are almost ready to setup solo mining Smiley

Start by running either the Qt or daemon instance of bitcoin.

Navigate to you Roaming folder (type %appdata% into your start>search or windows explorer)

Open the bitcoin folder and locate the bitcoin.conf file  (if there is not a file there you will need to create one)

(example of bitcoin.conf file here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Sample_Bitcoin.conf)

In order to solo mine you will need to change some settings in the conf file and you will need to point your mining software at the instance of bitcoind running.

Basically this means that the important lines in the conf file are (note remove # to uncomment the line)
Code:
 rpcuser=Ulysseys
 rpcpassword=YourSuperGreatPasswordNumber_DO_NOT_USE_THIS_OR_YOU_WILL_GET_ROBBED_385593

rpcport=8332

Now all you have to do is point your miner at the host ip 127.0.0.1
Port: as in .conf file
username: as in .conf file
password: as in .conf file

and hey presto you are solo mining!!

What mining software you use?? mow much Hash rate u got?? as it is nice to test the solomining aspect on a chain that will not take months to find a block and see if it is working... if you use cgminer I can give you a step by step walkthrough of how to solomine BBQ coins where with 100Mhash on BTC network GFX card I can get a block every 10-20 mins on the BBQ network.

Hope this helps and pick your choice of coin for donations in the signature!!

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 12:09:59 PM

Thanks so much for the "retard ready" explanation, as I needed this dumbed down!

I get about 600-700 MHs

I use bfgminer mostly buyt I think I'm going to try the Guiminer first to see if it works.

Thanks again.

maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 12:23:09 PM

I think it's working, but I want it to mine to the terracoin blocks. I think it's mining bitcoins. i't s saying new block detected over and over and no shares. In solo mine is there no shares that tick? How does directing to local host pick an alt coin block?

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 01:04:24 PM

Its all about the port you connect to

if you running terracoin-Qt then you should look in your terracoin.conf file and see what port you have set in there... can be anything but needs to be different from the bitcoin port... and just match on the mining software

note that TRC has block generation every 2 minutes... as to bitcoins 10mins... so you should be able to see when a new block is generated on the network the time interval is a little hint at which network u r mining on

maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 01:12:57 PM

I just figured out it was the port that was the issue. I was definatley mining bitcoin before, atleast I know how to do that also now.

Had to add the line

rpcport=18332

to the config and aim at that port. I think it is working with bfgminer, how long before most blocks are completed? 10-20 mins like bbq?

maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 01:16:20 PM

also, how does the miner software know to put rewarded coins into the local wallet? Is it because the config file has the info that you aim with? Then when the software recognizes you as the worker and the network puts the coins in your wallet? Also does the wallet software have to be open to receive the coins? sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 01:29:00 PM

also, how does the miner software know to put rewarded coins into the local wallet? Is it because the config file has the info that you aim with? Then when the software recognizes you as the worker and the network puts the coins in your wallet? Also does the wallet software have to be open to receive the coins? sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

Questions are good as they help people understand and share knowledge, and we all had to start somewhere Smiley and my knowledge is through asking questions and a LOT of trial and error.

I believe you are right in that the username and password are the things that identify you as a worker submitting work and hence will credit the reward to that wallet associated with the workers conf file.

And yes the process terracoin needs to be running so you get the latest work from the blockchain, so you need to have terracoin-Qt or terracoind running

maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 01:54:29 PM

I have run for 45 minutes and have only gotten "New block detected" am I suppose to be seeing accepted for anything?

maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 02:49:31 PM

successful at 1 hour and 5 minutes! Got my 20 TRC. Amazing. I think I make more with bitcoin pool mining though. It was a fun experience.

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 03:05:43 PM

successful at 1 hour and 5 minutes! Got my 20 TRC. Amazing. I think I make more with bitcoin pool mining though. It was a fun experience.

gtz well least u know it all works Smiley

check out coinotron and bitparking for good alt currency pools

maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 03:27:12 PM

When this confirms I'll send some TRC your way for helping.

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 04:38:30 PM

Smiley thank you and its always nice to help

maunderingcabal (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 03:05:38 AM

Hey, I sent you 5 TRC, Thanks for the help.

FuzzyBear
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 07:45:18 AM

Hey, I sent you 5 TRC, Thanks for the help.

many thanks Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: