Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:38:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Bittrex accounts hacked everyone enable 2fa  (Read 22254 times)
leigh2k14 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 03:35:12 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2016, 08:55:26 PM by leigh2k14

Mine and another member of this forum have been hacked today, I lost 8BTC worth of alts, i'm not sure how much CosaNostra lost.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1416068.msg14399775#msg14399775

And before you ask, no I did not have 2fa set up (lesson learned).

Have any others been hacked?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄
████████████▄       ███                ▄███████████▄            ▄██████████      ███     ███▀
███     ▀▀███▌      ███               ████▀     ▀████         ▄███▀▀     ▀▀      ███    ███▀
███       ███▌      ███              ███▀         ▀███       ▄███                ███   ███
███     ▄███▀       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███  ███
██████████▀         ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███ ███
███▀▀▀▀▀████▄       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███  ███     ███           ███
███      ▀███▌      ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███   ███     ███         ███
███       ███▌      ███              ███▄         ▄███        ███                ███    ███     ███       ███
███     ▄▄███▌      ███               ████▄     ▄████         ▀███▄▄     ▄▄      ███     ███▄    ███▄   ▄███
████████████▀       ███████████        ▀███████████▀            ▀██████████      ███      ███▄    ███▄ ▄███
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀     ███▄███
                                                                                                    ▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

Token Sale Starts on [ 12 October ]
[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 03:50:52 PM

Not me, but I just wanted to say that people reading this should really use 2FA before they also learn the same pricey lesson you and I did (it was a long time ago for me).

Not your keys, not your coins!
leigh2k14 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 03:54:22 PM

Not me, but I just wanted to say that people reading this should really use 2FA before they also learn the same pricey lesson you and I did (it was a long time ago for me).

I was lazy and thought that nobody would hack me, damn I was wrong.

If your reading this and don't have 2fa set up, DO IT!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄
████████████▄       ███                ▄███████████▄            ▄██████████      ███     ███▀
███     ▀▀███▌      ███               ████▀     ▀████         ▄███▀▀     ▀▀      ███    ███▀
███       ███▌      ███              ███▀         ▀███       ▄███                ███   ███
███     ▄███▀       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███  ███
██████████▀         ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███ ███
███▀▀▀▀▀████▄       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███  ███     ███           ███
███      ▀███▌      ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███   ███     ███         ███
███       ███▌      ███              ███▄         ▄███        ███                ███    ███     ███       ███
███     ▄▄███▌      ███               ████▄     ▄████         ▀███▄▄     ▄▄      ███     ███▄    ███▄   ▄███
████████████▀       ███████████        ▀███████████▀            ▀██████████      ███      ███▄    ███▄ ▄███
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀     ███▄███
                                                                                                    ▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

CosaNostra

Activity: 843
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:09:03 PM

Yep, I was lazy to set 2fa too  Sad
All the coins I had there were dumped and I can see a lot of "stupid" orders in my history...

What I can say? SET 2FA!!!

leigh2k14, have you been using the same password anywhere else?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
leigh2k14 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:11:21 PM

All the coins I had there were dumped and I can see a lot of "stupid" orders in my history...

leigh2k14, have you been using the same password anywhere?

No, I only have one password for bittrex.

Did you lose much?

I'm going to format both my machines, I suggest you do the same mate.

▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

sillug

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

I don't have a Bittrex account, so I'm not concerned, but I would like to know how you were hacked, to protect my YoBit account in case of.
leigh2k14 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:23:25 PM

I don't have a Bittrex account, so I'm not concerned, but I would like to know how you were hacked, to protect my YoBit account in case of.

I would like to know as well, we're still trying to figure that one out.

Make sure you have that 2fa enabled.

So far it's only two of us.

▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

defined

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:36:15 PM

How did the hack happen? Did your computer get hacked or did someone guess the password?

I always get an email to confirm a withdraw, does that mean 2FA is active? I never asked for it to be activated.
leigh2k14 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:41:24 PM

How did the hack happen? Did your computer get hacked or did someone guess the password?

I always get an email to confirm a withdraw, does that mean 2FA is active? I never asked for it to be activated.

I'm guessing they either knew our emails and brute forced somehow, or we have a keylogger installed on our machines.

It doesn't matter about the withdrawal, they set a high price on a coin that they own and dump your coins, then buy the coins from them selves, so no withdrawal.

▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

onlinedragon

Activity: 1036
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:51:19 PM

Sad that you are scammed today and good you earn us to use always 2FA protection.

When you use 2FA is this always going without problems. What happens when you lose your phone can you still enter 2FA?
shinep

Activity: 630

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:53:15 PM

Always use 2FA guys...Its a wild world out there
sandiman

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:55:58 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, going to set up 2FA right now (was lazy as well).
M4z

Activity: 59
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:59:55 PM

Damn, sad it happens for you.
Well, at least you shared the word and I respect you for that, use 2FA guys, 2FA!
Master_dandosha

Activity: 714

IF YOU Enjoy Trade with ME ..PUT Feedback Please

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 05:03:10 PM

Sorry for your lost dear hope some members here including bittrex would donate some btc to cover some of your lost. the 2 factor authentication is very important i learn this lesson too .
i hope bittrex & other exchanges will enable mobile number as 2fa instead of google auth

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
leigh2k14 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 05:04:24 PM

Sad that you are scammed today and good you earn us to use always 2FA protection.

When you use 2FA is this always going without problems. What happens when you lose your phone can you still enter 2FA?

You write your private key down on some paper.

▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

shkbits

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 05:11:18 PM

You write your private key down on some paper.

Even though it is not the most safest method, I always save the qr image to my backup folder, just in case if I loose my phone.

Writing down the private key would be the safest method (I don't remember if they show private key on Bittrex while generating QR for 2fa) . Test that private key to restore the code, to make sure you did not make any spelling mistake.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
     ▄█▀ ▄▄█████████████▄▄ ▀█▄

█▀ ▄███████▀   ▀███████▄ ▀█
   █ ▄████████▀     ▀████████▄ █
  █ ▄████████▀       ▀████████▄ █

█ ▄████████▀    █    ▀████████▄ █
▄▀▄█████        ▄█▄        █████▄▀▄
█ ██████▀▀▀     ███     ▀▀▀██████ █

█ ██████▄▄     ▄███▄     ▄▄██████ █
█ ███████▀     ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀███████ █
▀▄▀█████▀                 ▀█████▀▄▀

█ ▀███▀      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▀███▀ █
  █ ▀██      █████████      ██▀ █
   █ ▀██▄  ▄███████████▄  ▄██▀ █

█▄ ▀███████████████████▀ ▄█
     ▀█▄ ▀▀█████████████▀▀ ▄█▀

▀▀█▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄█▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AppCoins

[.
WHITEPAPER
][.
CROWDSALE
]
CosaNostra

Activity: 843
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 05:12:33 PM

leigh2k14, have you been using the same password anywhere?

No, I only have one password for bittrex.

Did you lose much?

I'm going to format both my machines, I suggest you do the same mate.

I don't remember exact amounts, but it was about 1.5BTC in total, so not that much, fortunately!
No, it's not connected with the machines I'm using and the password is not that easy, so I'm wondering how could that happen at all  Huh

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
shkbits

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 05:13:28 PM

leigh2k14,

Did you use the same email and password for any mining pool or other sites?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
     ▄█▀ ▄▄█████████████▄▄ ▀█▄

█▀ ▄███████▀   ▀███████▄ ▀█
   █ ▄████████▀     ▀████████▄ █
  █ ▄████████▀       ▀████████▄ █

█ ▄████████▀    █    ▀████████▄ █
▄▀▄█████        ▄█▄        █████▄▀▄
█ ██████▀▀▀     ███     ▀▀▀██████ █

█ ██████▄▄     ▄███▄     ▄▄██████ █
█ ███████▀     ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀███████ █
▀▄▀█████▀                 ▀█████▀▄▀

█ ▀███▀      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▀███▀ █
  █ ▀██      █████████      ██▀ █
   █ ▀██▄  ▄███████████▄  ▄██▀ █

█▄ ▀███████████████████▀ ▄█
     ▀█▄ ▀▀█████████████▀▀ ▄█▀

▀▀█▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄█▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AppCoins

[.
WHITEPAPER
][.
CROWDSALE
]
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 05:15:15 PM

Sorry to hear this happened  Sad That is a lot of btc.  This is a great reminder to everyone and myself to do 2F whenever offered.

I love Bitcoin
leigh2k14 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 05:17:38 PM

leigh2k14,

Did you use the same email and password for any mining pool or other sites?

No, I haven't mined for quite some time.

It's unique to bittrex.

▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: