Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:07:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Bittrex accounts hacked everyone enable 2fa  (Read 22255 times)
dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 03:49:39 PM

I just saw this thread. I lost BTC on Bittrex too when I inadvertently clicked on a site that looked like Bittrex after I had googled 'Bittrex'.

Basically I was phished, the login page looked exactly like the Bittrex login page and when I entered my PW and 2FA I noticed that the miscreant then also had access to my Bittrex account and had placed all of my altcoins on AutoSell, it was frightening watching all of my coins get sold by someone else in real time !.

I was lucky however, I just managed to insert my own BTC address from another exchange and transferred the resulting BTC to it before the miscreant could transfer them out, with less than a second to spare. I lost some BTC from the autoselling which sold my coins at a knock down price.

Of course, in hindsight I could have just blocked the account by clicking on the auto email sent when I logged in but I panicked and wasn't conscious of that option at that time.

That was a frightening experience and now I ALWAYS check that the exchange website is the correct one. I ALWAYS use the virtual keyboard in the OS, ALWAYS use 2FA and different PW's for all accounts, ALWAYS use a completely separate email for exchanges than for day to day correspondence.  Good luck out there, it's a dangerous world ! DD
There is a fake bittrex website now when you google it? Embarrassed

This was the same thing with all those myetherwallets being hacked.
They went to the site after they google gave them the site with the 'net' at the end instead of the real site which is 'com'.  Undecided

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 03:56:11 PM

Aside from 2FA, I access websites that I frequently visit using my bookmarks, that way I don't have to Google for the site, I don't even click links from Facebook or emails that I receive specially if the given link has been shortened. I also dont access Bittrex or Poloniex using someone elses laptop, computer or smart phone, not even in a public internet cafe.
Blake_Last

Activity: 518
Merit: 278

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 01:40:28 AM

I received a message from Bittrex that my account has abnormal activity generated from an unknown IP address. I had it protected with 2FA so I don't know how it was possible. The fact that I'm only using one IP address made it a bit strange. Does anyone here also receive the same message or notification from Bittrex? I've sent all my balance to different wallets and disabled my account for the meantime, but I still plan to create another account with them in case this security issue is solved.

FireBurn

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2017, 02:49:20 PM

I am using bittrex and have turned on 2FA! Hope you draw experience for account management
enta2k

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

The Future of Security Tokens

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 04:07:51 PM

If you have weird activity warning, I would change my mail password, bittrex password (afterwards) and run a few anti virus/fishing programs.

Might seem a bit extreme, but I had a case where my mail got hacked and with that they were able to get all my other informations.
Now im super paranoid Cheesy

I scan my pc once a week and look for everything suspicious.

tanghere02

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 06:04:13 PM

Seriously is this happening? I am beginning to get paranoid also about those hacking news, a lot have been hacked either Bittrex or the Poloniex site and I am beginning to get scared of this hacking.

▄▄█████████▄▄                         ▄█▄                ▀██████▄                   ▄██████▀
        ▄█████████████████▄▄                    ▄███▄                 ▀██████▄               ▄██████▀
         ▀███████████████████▄                 ▄█████▄                  ▀██████             ██████▀
           █▀▀       ▀▀████████▄              ▄███████▄                   ██████▄         ▄██████
  ▄█▄                    ▀██████▄            ▄█████████▄                   ▀██████▄     ▄██████▀
 ▄████▄                    ▀█████▄          ▄███████████▄                    ███████▄ ▄███████
▄█████▀                     ▀█████▄        ▄██████▀██████▄                     █████▀▀▀█████▀
██████                       ██████       ▄██████   ██████▄                     ▀█▀     ▀█▀
██████                       ██████      ▄██████     ██████▄                     █       █
██████                       ██████     ▄██████       ██████▄                   ▄█▄     ▄█▄
▀██████▄                    ▄█████▀    ▄██████         ██████▄                ▄█████▄▄▄█████▄
 ▀██████▄                  ▄█████▀    ▄██████                                ███████▀ ▀███████
  ▀██████▄               ▄██████▀    ▄██████                               ▄██████▀     ▀██████▄
   ▀████████▄▄       ▄▄████████▀    ▄██████                               ▄██████         ██████▄
     ▀███████████████████████▀     ▄██████                 ██████▄      ▄██████▀           ▀██████▄
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀      ▄██████                   ██████▄   ▄██████▀               ▀██████▄
           ▀▀█████████▀▀         ▄██████                     ██████▄▄██████▀                   ▀██████▄
  O HOLD YOUR
OWN KEYS!
  O   O [SUCCESS   
RAISE
US$18mil+]
chiznitz

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2017, 10:00:00 PM

Seriously is this happening? I am beginning to get paranoid also about those hacking news, a lot have been hacked either Bittrex or the Poloniex site and I am beginning to get scared of this hacking.

There are numerous phishing sites that currently show up as advertisements if you use a google search to find our site.

The recommended solution is to make sure you always type https://www.bittrex.com into your browser so that you can be certain you are on our site.  You can also check the certificate to make sure it's issued to us.

Please make sure you also have two-factor enabled on your account.  These phishing sites are advanced and get the user to enter their 2FA code twice so that it can be used for login and withdrawals.

Visiting https://www.bittrex.com directly is the best route always to get to our site.

Thanks

Ryan @ Bittrex

Looking for the best exchange? -> https://bittrex.com
enta2k

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

The Future of Security Tokens

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 05:15:51 PM

Cryptos are still a little dangerous to play with and even more If you put a lot of money in it.
That´s why you should never have a big amount of valuable coins on a exchange.

Best way to save your coins are hardware and paper wallets.

marketone
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 12:06:07 PM

Cryptos are still a little dangerous to play with and even more If you put a lot of money in it.
That´s why you should never have a big amount of valuable coins on a exchange.

Best way to save your coins are hardware and paper wallets.

Yes, we have to secure ourselves from the thieves because there are many people who will keep on sending emails to steal our coins or money. But we have to be very careful while clicking those links. We have to check twice before clicking those links.
Raminder1983

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:13:24 PM

Mine and another member of this forum have been hacked today, I lost 8BTC worth of alts, i'm not sure how much CosaNostra lost.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1416068.msg14399775#msg14399775

And before you ask, no I did not have 2fa set up (lesson learned).

Have any others been hacked?

I have been hacked today with 3 btc. Some strange buying and selling has happened has happened. In todays value i have lost 10000 usd. To be honest, i cant sleep now. That is all the money I had.

This happened on bittrex and the worst part is as per bittrex my account was logged in today with just my mobile and nothing else. I use andriod. I get an email notification everytime i login to my bittrex account. I logged in today just once. Immediately after that my account started unsual buying and selling. No withdrawal happened.  I realized this late in the night when all money was lost. Wondering how bittex system allows such hacking. Please suggest what I can do.

P.S i did not f2a. The first thing i will do is f2a all my accounts.
elektibi75

Activity: 326

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 04:53:05 PM

Mine and another member of this forum have been hacked today, I lost 8BTC worth of alts, i'm not sure how much CosaNostra lost.

I have been hacked today with 3 btc. Some strange buying and selling has happened has happened. In todays value i have lost 10000 usd. To be honest, i cant sleep now. That is all the money I had.

This happened on bittrex and the worst part is as per bittrex my account was logged in today with just my mobile and nothing else. I use andriod. I get an email notification everytime i login to my bittrex account. I logged in today just once. Immediately after that my account started unsual buying and selling. No withdrawal happened.  I realized this late in the night when all money was lost. Wondering how bittex system allows such hacking. Please suggest what I can do.

P.S i did not f2a. The first thing i will do is f2a all my accounts.

So, basically they hacked your account via your phone? Did you use your home wifi or you were somewhere in public place? I never use mobile for trading...

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
Hijet

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 02:46:34 AM

So, basically they hacked your account via your phone? Did you use your home wifi or you were somewhere in public place? I never use mobile for trading...

No, it was a brute force attack. The same thing happens to me and to a lot of people without 2fa.
The same strange trading activity sell\buy many times to the bottom of my balance.
lhohen

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 05:31:53 PM

Yes I was hacked and lost everything what can I do to get it back or am I shit out of luck I thought that was a secure site?

PieEatingGoat

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 09:08:58 AM

Regarding 2fa, what happens if you loose your phone? Is it tied to the google account you use for your phone or the actual phone itself?

Also, is there such a thing as a browser add on that monitors for urls containing 'bittrex', and automatically redirects to the real bittrex? If not, could you do this in the windows host file?
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 10:00:23 PM

That is really terrible. But if many users were hacked, then maybe bittrex was hacked and there would be a chance to get charged back by Bittrex, as they already did.
3months18w

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 04:25:53 AM

Sorry to hear that, I will use 2FA to protect my balance. Thank you.

sammrheza

Activity: 448
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 10:53:46 PM

so if we enabled 2Fa it is make our account secure ? , ahh this is horrible ..
claustro101

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 11:04:06 AM

My account in Bittrex was hacked and I did not have 2fa activated, 2 BTC stolen. So I warned all my friends to activate it 2fa. I doubted their usefulness, they stole everything in 3 seconds.

A month later it is confirmed what I say. To my friend they have hacked the account having activated the 2fa.

The 2FA is not worth anything at all. The thefts in Bitrrex are consented by the company. The thefts are produced by Bitrtrex employees and former employees.

In Spain a group is being created to denounce this company.
bbsaver

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 05:15:41 PM

jaust happened to me too. lost 7 btc and i am not long here. all savings from past years. watch out! dont use google, nor bookmarks, always type all letters on your own
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6wlbp5/bittrex_phishing_alert/?st=j70l8ubx&sh=cc67fcf2
Thiagosanto

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 08:53:01 PM

Im sorry for your losses!

I have activated 2fa since the beginning but I have an important question:

Since one month I had the coming "problem ca. 5 times:

After typing my code there came sometime an error note like: code is wrong, please check your timezone (time is correct and Im typing the code correctly and fast). The first times I was scared to type a second code after this error note, because i knew about this phishing things..

Does someone know something about this problem??
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: