Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:35:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So.... How do 'newbies' build rep?  (Read 982 times)
Rawted (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 07:51:03 PM

Just curious about how we go from zeros to heroes here in the bitcoin world. No one seems to want to even talk about any sort of transaction with a new member. I'd love to do some p2p trades (and not just BTC-e), but it's almost impossible to get started here. I've tried offering items out of my Ebay/Etsy shop, offered business verified paypal, offered cash in the mail, etc. Not a single nibble.

How did you get started with your rep? Any tips for us newcomers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HappyScamp

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 07:58:54 PM

Just curious about how we go from zeros to heroes here in the bitcoin world. No one seems to want to even talk about any sort of transaction with a new member. I'd love to do some p2p trades (and not just BTC-e), but it's almost impossible to get started here. I've tried offering items out of my Ebay/Etsy shop, offered business verified paypal, offered cash in the mail, etc. Not a single nibble.

It's not entirely clear what you are trying to do here.

Can you rephrase the question?

Rawted (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:04:38 PM

Sorry, i didn't realize it was unclear. I'm simply trying to build a rep on my nick for the WOT, or here on the forums so that i may buy/sell/trade in the future without the hassles i'm experiencing now. Every one had to get their start some way, i'm asking for some tips to work towards getting a positive reputation.
HappyScamp

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:08:27 PM

HappyScamp

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:11:07 PM

I still am not sure what the problem is.... if you have something to sell, sell it!

Offer it for sale, describe it well, be verifiable with a phone number and street address and agree to take calls.

Rawted (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:16:27 PM

I guess my point just isn't getting across.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:17:22 PM

Participate, get to know people.  Someone's gonna have to take a risk with you, and they'll probably want every security measure available to protect themselves from a scam.

With that said, if you're willing to do some trading, use escrow.  Some members here offer the service for a tip.  That way you can start building rep, and believe me, there's no shortage of people here who will thank you for your business.

Furthermore, there are always members who pretend to be nice folk, then around the 100-200 post mark, suddenly want a loan.  So expect to be here for a while before anyone really starts trusting you.

But really, just be nice, and people will be nice back  Grin  Well, within reason.

Rawted (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:19:49 PM

Participate, get to know people.  Someone's gonna have to take a risk with you, and they'll probably want every security measure available to protect themselves from a scam.

With that said, if you're willing to do some trading, use escrow.  Some members here offer the service for a tip.  That way you can start building rep, and believe me, there's no shortage of people here who will thank you for your business.

Furthermore, there are always members who pretend to be nice folk, then around the 100-200 post mark, suddenly want a loan.  So expect to be here for a while before anyone really starts trusting you.

But really, just be nice, and people will be nice back  Grin  Well, within reason.
Thanks! I've offered escrow and such, but no takers. I guess i'll have to just sit on my thumbs and wait.
Adava

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:23:22 PM

haha zeros to heroes Cheesy:D:
Rawted (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:23:28 PM

Just noticed someone named sturles has an offer for 1btc to help get rating for new traders on bitcoin-otc. i'm going to buy a few off of him, as soon as i figure out how to setup all the prereqs. That's one step forward!
rpgman1

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 09:07:11 PM

It's hard to gain rep here when you just started and people aren't going to take risks with newcomers.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:14:54 PM

It's hard to gain rep here when you just started and people aren't going to take risks with newcomers.

There isn't much risk if he agrees to escrow.

I believe you have a good point.  Even if you're the most reputable person on the board, people still aren't going to buy what they don't want.  The rep just helps ease their mind.

21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:16:14 PM

Thanks! I've offered escrow and such, but no takers. I guess i'll have to just sit on my thumbs and wait.

Sometimes people just aren't in the market for what you're selling. Not a whole lot that can be done about that. Like snapsunny said, using escrow helps in the first trades when people do become interested. I did my first trade here with less than 50 posts without a problem since I used escrow (good communication helps too, of course).

Many people here also look at your contributions to the forum. Members with good input to forum discussions are easier to trust than people with short posts, off-topic posts, or posts that are just too casual. There's nothing wrong with casual conversation, but people who put in time and effort into improving the Bitcoin community will have an easier time trading successfully with one another.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 09:17:51 PM

Newbies don't have reputation for the same reason you don't use eggs to make those delicious chicken mc nuggets. I'm loving them.

Merralea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:21:10 PM

Starting with cash-in-mail is...not going to happen, as far as I know. Highest-risk transaction I can think of.
Are you going through a third party (bitmit, etc?) it helps.
And of course, there's the issue of bitcoin users being disproportionately male, so the market for what you're selling (assuming your Etsy page is representative) is automatically smaller.
Best of luck.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:22:49 PM

Sorry, i didn't realize it was unclear. I'm simply trying to build a rep on my nick for the WOT, or here on the forums so that i may buy/sell/trade in the future without the hassles i'm experiencing now. Every one had to get their start some way, i'm asking for some tips to work towards getting a positive reputation.

Seeking to build rep is a mark of a scammer.  Normal people want to buy and sell goods and services.  Just do that, in small amounts at first, and every successful trade will earn you a bit of trust from whoever you trade with.  Earning a reputation takes a huge amount of time, and it can be lost in an instant.  Focus on the trades you want to make or the services you'd like to use/provide.  If you're an honest person trust will take care of itself.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Rawted (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 10:43:51 PM

Seeking to build rep is a mark of a scammer.  Normal people want to buy and sell goods and services.  Just do that, in small amounts at first, and every successful trade will earn you a bit of trust from whoever you trade with.  Earning a reputation takes a huge amount of time, and it can be lost in an instant.  Focus on the trades you want to make or the services you'd like to use/provide.  If you're an honest person trust will take care of itself.
Thanks for this. I just performed my first BTC buy via p2p on bitcoin-otc, so im working towards the very thing you mention! I have bought and traded on btc-e.com in the past.

Also, i wasn't talking just selling the things i have (my Etsy sales are doing really well), i was just talking about doing any transaction. I'm looking to buy some LTC and BTC and it's like pulling teeth! Looks like slow and steady wins this race, so thank you all for the helpful tips!
mjc

Activity: 588

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 10:50:55 PM

Check this out http://bitcoinsbs.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/establishing-trust/

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 02:59:53 AM

I'm looking to buy some LTC and BTC and it's like pulling teeth!

Don't try to buy from individuals.  Use an exchange or a service.

coinbase.com
bitinstant.com
mtgox.com

You will have to jump through some hoops.  It is important that you jump through them, especially if you are concerned about building trust and a reputation.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 05:58:36 AM

Thanks for this. I just performed my first BTC buy via p2p on bitcoin-otc, so im working towards the very thing you mention! I have bought and traded on btc-e.com in the past.

Also, i wasn't talking just selling the things i have (my Etsy sales are doing really well), i was just talking about doing any transaction. I'm looking to buy some LTC and BTC and it's like pulling teeth! Looks like slow and steady wins this race, so thank you all for the helpful tips!

Have you tried https://localbitcoins.com?  I sell locally for cash through them fairly often.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: