Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:41:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Liar tag?  (Read 956 times)
danieldaniel (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:42:50 PM

I think there is a tag that should be on the forums, but isn't.

Some people on the forum are blatant liars, but didn't successfully scam anyone yet.  I think we should have a "Liar" tag, so we know not to trust them (even before they scam someone).

Before someone asks: Yes, I am asking because of the flame-war I've recently had with someone. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:44:11 PM

tag Luke-Jr?

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:51:53 PM

tag Luke-Jr?
Not sure.  I haven't read many of his posts, heh.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:04:22 PM

Perhaps there should rahter be some kind of feedback wall for users ?

Then one could see how much positive vs. negative feedback a user gets. The feedback could be anonymous, and only mods/admin could see who gave it.

For example, one crook would have 91% negative feedback, then it would be worth going into that users feedback wall to check those messages.

danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:04:53 PM

Then one could see how much positive vs. negative feedback a user gets. The feedback could be anonymous, and only mods/admin could see who gave it.

For example, one crook would have 91% negative feedback, then it would be worth going into that users feedback wall to check those messages.

Already exists: WoT.

Herodes

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:47:35 PM

No, it's not directly attached to this forum. So that's not correct.

What I mean is that if you see a user repeatedly brings false accusations, lies etc, you could simply post on his feedback wall anonymously that sad user is a liar, and link to some examples, or explain some more. If the user receiving the negative feedback disagreed, he would be free to complain to theymos or a mod, and they would make a decision as to whether it's hold some merit or not.
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:48:03 PM

No, it's not directly attached to this forum. So that's not correct.

What I mean is that if you see a user repeatedly brings false accusations, lies etc, you could simply post on his feedback wall anonymously that sad user is a liar, and link to some examples, or explain some more. If the user receiving the negative feedback disagreed, he would be free to complain to theymos or a mod, and they would make a decision as to whether it's hold some merit or not.
I see.

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 10:32:17 PM

We've been there. Heck, the ignore button still works that way.

It's horrible. It's a feedback war. If anybody can just mark anybody as uh-so-bad, the result holds an absurd type of information nobody understands. (Who has the most accounts on his side and willingness to abuse such systems?)

The WoT is the way to go, preferably with disabled "total" ratings. Because ratings by just anyone are quite worthless. It matters who rated, and it's everyone's own choice which ratings to trust.
Herodes

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 11:03:33 PM

We've been there. Heck, the ignore button still works that way.

It's horrible. It's a feedback war. If anybody can just mark anybody as uh-so-bad, the result holds an absurd type of information nobody understands. (Who has the most accounts on his side and willingness to abuse such systems?)

The WoT is the way to go, preferably with disabled "total" ratings. Because ratings by just anyone are quite worthless. It matters who rated, and it's everyone's own choice which ratings to trust.

Of course, I never claimed that such a system would be without pitfalls. But isn't most people mature enough to not go into 'rating wars', and wouldn't it be possible to minimize the amount of such wars ? Perhaps you would need a certain amount of '+1'-posts before you were allowed to make any feedback actions ? I posted a thread about 'good post'-rating aka +1 aka karma rating before. I don't have the link.

Point being that when introducing a feature, it's always good to discuss the negatives and the positives.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 01:57:32 AM

Of course, I never claimed that such a system would be without pitfalls. But isn't most people mature enough to not go into 'rating wars', and wouldn't it be possible to minimize the amount of such wars ? Perhaps you would need a certain amount of '+1'-posts before you were allowed to make any feedback actions ? I posted a thread about 'good post'-rating aka +1 aka karma rating before. I don't have the link.

Point being that when introducing a feature, it's always good to discuss the negatives and the positives.

Allowing rating only after some fixed condition is by no means enough to produce a stable and reasonable result. In fact, it worked just like that on this very forum in the past -- and was a catastrophe.

Rating anonymously is probably not a good idea. It makes voting someone down "just because" way too tempting. Also it reduces the amount of useful information; it's sometimes interesting not only to see how someone has been rated, but also how he rates others. To setup a rating system properly, one has to dive into game theory and show why both the likely and the optimal behaviors of players are also the desired behavior. There might be a way to do it right. Yet I prefer no system to a broken system. Better leave it up to competition from elsewhere.

One way I could imagine as useful: a WoT-like system that lets users select whose opinions they value, and over how many "hops". So everyone is still responsible whom to trust, but it becomes more efficient: if I add Vladimir, and he rates someone "danger, stupid Ponzi", I'm safe no matter how many shills shill for the target. However, if I'm insufficiently informed and add all the shills instead, I'd fall to a "+9001 super duper trustworthy" scammer.

Long story short, I believe in consensus, but I prefer to pick the people who get to add to it. Tongue Then again, this is how the #bitcoin-otc WoT can be used if you know the right commands or browse it manually. So there we have this solution already, albeit it could use a propped-up UI.

FYI, this is a special case of a general, huge class of problems. Possibly the biggest problem of cooperative humanity. How do we enable someone with limited knowledge of a system to classify the people in it? Put another way: is there a method that enables a fairly uninformed person to reliably distinguish a populist politician from an economic expert?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 05:52:41 AM

If we get LIAR tags we need to get ASSHOLE and FAG tags too.

Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 07:14:51 AM

Cheesy

WTF?  What about SMOOTHIE tags?

I demand it.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 01:10:52 PM

Cheesy
Heh.  I feel like "liar" is a little bit less open to interpretation. 

Anyone can call someone an asshole or a fag (although there's nothing wrong with being gay >.>).

Herodes

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 04:43:22 PM

Vandroiy,

good post with many good points.

I have participated in various forums, and there's always this problem that you don't know much about a random poster. Is he a 17-year old, or is he a professor in programming ?

Given a specialized field, it's more interesting to learn from those who have achived what you hope to achive, than negative ramblings from random people.

But clearly a system like this takes a lot of work, so at the moment it's not something this forum will take on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: