Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:51:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A way to promote Bitcoin  (Read 1394 times)
Technomage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 08:48:27 PM

This is something I did today and it was a big success.

I made a post on Facebook to my friends that basically said "Attention! There is free money here. Everyone who comments with their Bitcoin address will get 100 millibitcoins from me."

In the comments I explained millibitcoins and how much that is worth in EUR etc, and I've helped many of my Facebook friends to setup a Bitcoin wallet. I've been doing this for just a couple of hours and there has been massive response.

If 0.1 bitcoins is too much for you to give away to a large bunch of people, choose a slightly smaller amount, or say "first 10" or "first 20". In any event this seems to be a success and hopefully some of them become active Bitcoin users.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 08:53:27 PM

I've tried this with a 100 BTM giveaway already, but my circle of FBers at least hasn't bitten much. I've gotten maybe three or four at least somewhat interested, though.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Technomage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 08:55:46 PM

I use Facebook as one of my main promotional platforms for Bitcoin so a lot of my friends at least know about it. I got 17 people to post an address in just the first couple of hours.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 08:58:48 PM

There is free money here
Bad idea in my opinion, this only reinforce the idea that bitcoin is not "real money" (because no one will give you real money for a comment)

Technomage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 09:01:26 PM

There is free money here
Bad idea in my opinion, this only reinforce the idea that bitcoin is not "real money" (because no one will give you real money for a comment)

I don't agree. The feedback for this stunt has been 100% positive and encouraging. One of my friends already copied the concept on his own wall.

I know so many people who spend time on those "earn free bitcoins" services that pay you 0.000x bitcoins for clicks or watching vids or something like that. I think those services are "cheaper" than simply giving money away to friends as a way to introduce them to Bitcoin.

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 09:02:24 PM

Good work. Keep it up!
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 10:50:12 PM

There is free money here

I agree with this.
I am not, I'm pretty sure that it will get more people into bitcoin than poeple that will think it is "play money"

Keep it up!

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 10:58:58 PM

kinda like paypal in its early days.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 11:25:44 PM

shouting out free money, devalues it a bit. but wording it like

"ok i have put my own money into this experiment. so you can see how it works" then hand out the small denominations and at the end say "feel free to keep it trade it with others at your leisure"

its all about wording, but the idea of just giving a little bit to someone to try it out themselves works.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 12:43:38 AM

shouting out free money, devalues it a bit. but wording it like

"ok i have put my own money into this experiment. so you can see how it works" then hand out the small denominations and at the end say "feel free to keep it trade it with others at your leisure"

its all about wording, but the idea of just giving a little bit to someone to try it out themselves works.

I gave half a bitcoin to everyone who showed up to the first Toronto Bitcoin meetup. It is still the one that had the highest turnout.

Coincidence?
Technomage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 11:41:10 AM

The wording is deceptive since I didn't actually do this in English, I did it in my native language which is Finnish. It doesn't sound the same.

Regardless, the point was to make a clearly over the top post that grabs attention. In the world today that is very important. Promotion has to be a little over the top to be interesting enough. Smiley

001sonkit

Activity: 784

Casper - A failed entrepenuer who looks like Zhou

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 12:19:00 PM

Hope I could add you as friend and reply you with dozens of comments.  Lol.

Thanks for helpin the Bitcoin economy grow Smiley

GEMINI ACCOUNT REVIEW - Source of Funds Request
BitcoinRate.com

Activity: 116
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 01:07:28 PM

Nice job! I think the 100 mB are good as it is hard to get people to set up a wallet without noticing real benefits immediately.

★ Get +16GB extra on your Dropbox: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142163.0
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 03:55:49 PM

You could also give them S.DICE addresses to ping with their bitdime, to up their psychological investment. A few will win enough money that they'll have a significant incentive to look into it further.

Could also add "Click here to get a Bitcoin address instantly (2 seconds)."
Technomage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 04:25:29 PM

You could also give them S.DICE addresses to ping with their bitdime, to up their psychological investment. A few will win enough money that they'll have a significant incentive to look into it further.

Could also add "Click here to get a Bitcoin address instantly (2 seconds)."

Good tip about S.DICE. It's important to note that it's not compatible with Instawallet though.

The wallet I used for helping them create one easily was Easywallet. It's similar to Instawallet, but perhaps a bit more advanced.

sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 08:45:54 PM

What is your facebook page? Ours is bitcoin friends.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: