Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:23:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What you need to know about the Panama Papers  (Read 7387 times)
Evildrum

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 05:18:02 PM

http://www.cnet.com/news/panama-papers-part-2-the-worlds-dirty-laundry-becomes-searchable/
​Panama Papers Part 2: The world's dirty laundry becomes searchable
The first round of leaked documents brought the murky financial practices of the world's elite to light. Now the "largest ever" release of secret corporate information will be searchable.

It might be too early for the world's rich and powerful to put their lawyers back in storage, with news that the world is about to see round two of the Panama Papers. And this time, they'll be searchable.

The Panama Papers label refers to more than 11 million legal and financial records of the world's power elite taken from Panama-based law firm Mossack Fonseca.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, a German newspaper and other news groups spent more than a year sifting through these records, and earlier this month published documents exposing the tax shelters of 140 politicians and public figures, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, Icelandic government officials and beleaguered soccer organization FIFA.

Now the ICIJ has announced that it will be dumping a second batch of documents regarding hundreds of thousands of offshore entities as part of its ongoing Panama Papers investigation.

The new raft of documents will be released on May 9, with basic corporate information on more than 200,000 offshore entities made available in a searchable database.

While the ICIJ says round two won't include a "data dump" of the original documents or the large-scale release of personal data, it has said the next phase "will likely be the largest ever release of secret offshore companies and the people behind them."

Saw some talk that freaked me out about every ones taxes being online for people to see and search through.
Forget which Country has done this and they had some real positive things come out of it but it would be nuts having a neighbor turn you in for moonlighting or not reporting something.
Making this data base searchable(Panama Papers) is going to be interesting as people will get put to the fire as more people take interest.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 05:26:54 PM

And its gone.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 05:35:07 PM

Who's doing the triage and on what basis?

Sold out.

Racey
Legendary

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 06:32:00 PM

^^^ Maybe they are looking deeply into this, and giving fair warning to the people they know to move money elsewhere, then they shall be omitted from the papers.

An advantage to the US offshore accounts, those that are actually in the USA.

And its gone.
Farhad099

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 10:02:26 AM

I want to know what is his secret?
garmerys

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 12:05:45 PM

Canada is assigning 440 million to track down 2.6 billion in tax shelters. The problem with that is the rich always have a choice to pay without penalty and get a slap on the wrist well the average joe gets his bank account locked,daily phone calls and wages docked. So its a waste of money if they continue in that pattern,which I do not see changing any time soon.

Think a lot of this off shore money will be given lip service in many parts of the world and we will go back to business as usual.
Evildrum

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 11:54:14 PM

What ever happened once they raided this place, to all the data? You would presume this also would be investigated and released due to optics of cover up.

ZOOM007

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 10:36:01 AM

Nothing is going to happen. What happened after the offshore leaks of 2013? The information was hushed up, no one was prosecuted. The same will happen this time also. 90% of the politicians and the bureaucrats are corrupt. They will make sure that this time also, all the information will be destroyed and kept out of public sight. is not that right??
Doms

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2016, 03:19:51 AM

I would have done similar things if I were ultra rich. I need to protect my assets and if there are shell companies that could take care of securing it, I 'm all for it. Preservation of assets and the its passing on to future generations are some of the primary considerations of families who are doing such things. How they accumulated those riches is a totally different story altogether. I heard some from my country are included in the list that leaked and some belong to prominent politicians. Would this ever be probed consistently? I doubt.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 09:02:25 PM

Revealed: Emma Watson named in latest Panama Papers leak

Of late, Emma Watson has been taking a more active role in both UK and American politics. The Harry Potter actress recently attended the White House correspondents’ dinner, and just yesterday called on London’s new mayor Sadiq Khan to put a statue of a suffragette outside Parliament.

However, should she wish to continue to move in political circles, Watson may face questions about her use of an offshore company. Yesterday, more details of the now infamous Panama Papers were released online in a searchable database. The database provides information regarding the many offshore companies named in the confidential documents which were first leaked earlier this year.

On looking through the database, Mr S has come across Emma Watson’s name. The Offshore Leaks Database says that ‘Emma Charlotte Duerre Watson’ is a beneficiary in an offshore company based in the British Virgin Islands.

While a spokesman for the actress confirms that Watson set up an offshore company, they say it was set up for the sole purpose of ‘protecting her anonymity and safety’. They add that the actress receives ‘no tax or monetary advantages from this offshore company’:

‘Emma (like many high profile individuals) set up an offshore company for the sole purpose of protecting her anonymity and safety. UK companies are required to publicly publish details of their shareholders and therefore do not give her the necessary anonymity required to protect her personal safety, which has been jeopardised in the past owing to such information being publicly available.

Offshore companies do not publish these shareholder details. Emma receives absolutely no tax or monetary advantages from this offshore company whatsoever – only privacy.’

With the details of over 200,000 offshore entities revealed in the latest leak, it seems the fall-out from the Panama Papers is far from over.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/revealed-emma-watson-named-in-latest-panama-papers-leak/

--------------------------------------
Persona non grata

ngocdhbk2

Activity: 404
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 09:10:14 PM

This is, in fact, a leak of information epic in proportion and effect on the world. Hiding money offshore for the purposes of tax evasion by a small handful of highly elite leaders of the world coupled with smaller (but still vastly richer then 90% of earths population) means that all the taxes you pay to the government, buying goods, land, college tuition, gas, electricity, lawn ornament, all those taxes dollars from your pocket shuffle up through to those very rich owners of global industry keep it for themselves. It doesn’t do back into the system. Laws are made to benefit the profit of a few. NAFTA allowed American industries to export labor to pay less for employees to make their products to ship it to America. The America that lost millions of jobs from that law passing. You pay taxes on those products.

Evildrum

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 11:13:32 PM

Thought this was interesting to read and imagine the list will become quite thick once we are done wading through the data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_named_in_the_Panama_Papers

Can some one with more tech know how post a link that is trustable for searching the database?
When I searched for the data I came across sites that felt a bit fishy.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 11:56:10 PM

Thought this was interesting to read and imagine the list will become quite thick once we are done wading through the data.

Can some one with more tech know how post a link that is trustable for searching the database?

Please... Tell us you surf the net with a good anti malware - firewall - Noscript - VPN combo....?

alphatv

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 11:58:08 AM

Mostly all top politicians are in the list. Expose them in a big way
Evildrum

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 05:28:09 PM

Please... Tell us you surf the net with a good anti malware - firewall - Noscript - VPN combo....?

I plead the fifth on that one..

Upgrading my computer very soon,so do not want to get to involved in any setup till that point.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 08:43:42 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/05/16/panama-papers-reveal-george-soros-deep-money-ties-to-secretive-weapons-intel-firm.html

Gulag time...

Racey
Legendary

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 09:25:25 PM

Gulag time is right and those like him, he would deserve it.
Soros thinks he owns the world to do as he sees fit, he destroys economies and countries.

Find a deep pit for him.

And its gone.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 04:01:15 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 11:48:16 PM by Balthazar

Uhaha, russian "oppositional politicians" were found in the database.

http://vz.ru/opinions/2016/5/19/811432.html

Mr. Andrey NECHAEV
Mr. Alexander Vinokurov
Mr. SERGEY ALEKSASHENKO

These are friends of Alexei Navalny. Why do we see no "public outcry" about their activities?  Grin
haseeb ahmed

Activity: 120
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 05:48:12 PM

i think they did well and exposed many famous and powerfull buisnessman of world. and i dont want to know much about it what i want is to see these people get their punishment and return money of poor and needy people who are facing problems because of them.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 11:33:53 PM

i think they did well and exposed many famous and powerfull buisnessman of world. and i dont want to know much about it what i want is to see these people get their punishment and return money of poor and needy people who are facing problems because of them.

The issue I have is how is this "information" has been released, by whom and why.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: