Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:29:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Electrum communicate the master public key to the server?  (Read 745 times)
Yoshimo (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 12:24:26 AM

A few days ago I decided to switch from Bitcoin Core to Electrum, as running a full node when firewalled by a NAT is quite ridiculous.

As far as I understand, an entity knowing a wallet's master public key can identify all used Bitcoin addresses (e.g. all the addresses with a transaction history) of this specific wallet on the blockchain (plus all addresses that will ever be used in the future), but can't spent any funds.

So my question is: Does Electrum communicate the master public key to the server it is connected to? In that case a malicious server operator could severely compromise the privacy of Electrum users...

Btw: In case I got something completely wrong; please enlighten me!
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2016, 04:29:08 AM

AFAIK, it only sends the list of addresses in your wallet to the server in order to get their balances and transaction history, other than that no information is sent to the servers.

MrsHitchcock

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 02:03:39 PM

Highly interesting question! That would be like posting your bank statements on the internet.

Would love to hear an expert/developer clarification about this!
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2016, 07:17:24 PM

No. An Electrum server has no way of knowing your actual identity or MPK, but does know your IP address, wallet addresses, and balance. That's all.

Yoshimo (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 03:25:15 AM

No. An Electrum server has no way of knowing your actual identity or MPK, but does know your IP address, wallet addresses, and balance. That's all.

Thanks for clarifying this.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2016, 09:02:40 AM

No it does not.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: