Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:06:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-E Riser as a 2nd GPU  (Read 633 times)
teluthen (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2016, 10:19:29 PM

Hi,

I have a GPU installed, which outputs the video signal of the PC.
Do you think I can add another GPU on the "little" PCI Port using PCI-E Riser ( http://www.dx.com/fr/p/pci-e-usb-3-0-1x-to-16x-extension-cable-316664?tc=EUR&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoYi4BRDF_PHHu6rI7NMBEiQAKZ-JuHhTX5TPQmH-BSx0PIDcjX5gbxdzUxlr88Xzuzr9XxsaAqtJ8P8HAQ#.VwLnP_mLRD8 ) in order to mine?

Arguing would be great!

Thx
(Got an unsued GPU :/)
P.S: If any idea how i can plug it, tell me (to laptop of desktop, or raspi or anything but a usual desktop motherboard :p )
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 10:25:37 PM

Many people (even me) have had this question. The problem is that usb 3.0 will bottleneck the transfer speed. Other than that, everything should work. USB 3.0 has a very limited speed cap, MUCH below PCI speed. It's really not a good option for gaming per se, but for mining the speed SHOULD be enough, although the transfer speed is not optimal.
There is no way to put a gpu onto a rpi, for it's just impossible. However there are custom eGpu options for only ~50USD that are well documented and can work on any device with a mini pci slot. Find them here, but there are cheaper prices at other websites occasionally:
http://gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229355.html?currency=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiA2IO0BRDXmLndksSB0WgSJADNKqqoVvD6fFuoDRILjxclqbdJg6Zr-nOVvyFAZlleoab7qhoCRYTw_wcB
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 8104

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 10:30:19 PM

Yes it would work fine since you aren't transfering much data on the pc I bus.  The work is done on the card.
Please move this thread to the Altcoin mining section though.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 11:43:28 PM

Not a problem as long as you use powered risers.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1711

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 01:06:17 AM

No you can't plug that riser into a USB port. It needs to be plugged into a PCIe slot. The USB port is only to extend the wire nothing else.

If it was that easy then instead of buying new motherboards and CPU we would all be buying USB hubs and plugging in 20 GPUs into a laptop.
teluthen (OP)

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2016, 07:58:40 AM

Thx for your reply.

Just to clarify and to be sure, my point is mostly about having multiple GPU working at the same time. Dunno why, but it sounds weird to me.
Anyway I won't plug it to USB but to the little PCI while the large one is used for the main GPU.

This would probably only be for mining purpose, I was, as you mention,  thinking that mining wouldn't require too intensive transfer speed.

Also, concerning power, I can get powered riser or use my PSU (got multiple, wont be a prob).

Still, you mention a quite expensive hardware, dont you think mine would work?

Thank you all.
Unidonade

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 08:33:31 AM

Thx for your reply.

Just to clarify and to be sure, my point is mostly about having multiple GPU working at the same time. Dunno why, but it sounds weird to me.
Anyway I won't plug it to USB but to the little PCI while the large one is used for the main GPU.

This would probably only be for mining purpose, I was, as you mention,  thinking that mining wouldn't require too intensive transfer speed.

Also, concerning power, I can get powered riser or use my PSU (got multiple, wont be a prob).

Still, you mention a quite expensive hardware, dont you think mine would work?

Thank you all.

If you use the rig only for mining and not for gaming, there is not much requirement for data transfer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: