Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 10:13:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iceland's Prime Minister resigns amid Panama Papers fallout  (Read 623 times)
coinzat (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 08:56:24 PM

After widespread calls for his resignation, Icelandic Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson stepped down Tuesday -- an apparent casualty of the Panama Papers leaks.

Sigurdur Ingi Johannsson, the deputy chair of Gunnlaugsson's Progressive Party, announced the Prime Minister's resignation Tuesday on national public broadcaster RUV.
Johannsson said he will take over as Prime Minister. But he said Gunnlaugsson will remain head of the Progressive Party -- which might not go down well with some Icelanders who want nothing to do with him.
Gunnlaugsson had been under intense pressure to step down since leaked documents hacked from a Panamanian law firm revealed his links to an offshore company, triggering mass protests in the capital.
But Gunnlaugsson's resignation doesn't mean the dust has settled.

source
Moloch

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 09:18:29 PM

I bet Putin doesn't resign  Grin

I hear he's on the list for over $2,000,000,000

I am always impressed with Iceland... they are one of the few countries where citizens have integrity... Iceland also jailed the bankers rather than bailing them out like the US did for causing a recession
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2016, 09:20:40 PM

Way to go Iceland, keep stomping those banker nuts.
Slowturtleinc

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 09:25:58 PM

Did this guy also raise the hell out of the taxes after 2008? Will be interesting to see the future fallback from the Panama papers.

██████████            Gunthar: Fast and Serious Lending Service
█████████       ●●●● ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● ●●●●
██████████    ●●●● Don't loose your collateral: refinance with us ●●●●
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2016, 01:25:32 AM

I am always impressed with Iceland... they are one of the few countries where citizens have integrity... Iceland also jailed the bankers rather than bailing them out like the US did for causing a recession

Cheesy Putin won't resign. And there will be no uproar. Russians have a little bit different view on things mostly. If you are rich then it's great and you have made it. No real hard feelings and that seems to be the case for illegal riches too. Cheesy

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 12:11:54 PM

I hear that Sun revolves around earth, yeah. Unlike Cameron, Porky and others he was smart enough to use another identity. So he's not in the list, deal with it. Cheesy
stan.distortion

Activity: 317
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 12:39:30 PM

Amen to that, common sense is becoming a scarce commodity these days but there's no shortage in Iceland.

Curious about the trolls methods? http://pastebin.com/irj4Fyd5
Manipulation of public discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYAQ-ZZtEU
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 02:59:44 PM

Amen to that, common sense is becoming a scarce commodity these days but there's no shortage in Iceland.

He had to quit to keep the present coalition alive. Its main purpose is to get the banks into the hands of the right scumbags so it has to live. There are elections due in about a year but I doubt that it´ll last that long. There´ll be more stink bombs from the leak and also things will get crazy when the govt. gets ready to sell those banks.

Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 03:19:12 PM

I respect people in Island, really.
They have strong character and moral ethics and never compromise it, even in politics.
Do you remember big financial crisis a few years ago?
People in Island demanded persecution and punishment for bankers and it was done.
Now, only 1 day after this news about corruption of Prime Minister, he had to resign.
Democracy and free people i action Smiley
Can you imagine such things happen in your country?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 05:28:41 PM

Vladimir Putin is not on that list. The media is claiming that a few people who are close to him are having offshore accounts in Panama, and they claim that these accounts are controlled by Putin. However, they have refrained from publishing any proof to support their claims. And at the same time, they are keeping quiet about reported off shore accounts controlled by western politicians, including David Cameron's father.
Rizla2345

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 05:31:14 PM

Strange how this mostly revolves around Russia and Putin and some other enemies of U.S. corporate/political interests.
designerusa
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1028

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 05:38:24 PM

After widespread calls for his resignation, Icelandic Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson stepped down Tuesday -- an apparent casualty of the Panama Papers leaks.

Sigurdur Ingi Johannsson, the deputy chair of Gunnlaugsson's Progressive Party, announced the Prime Minister's resignation Tuesday on national public broadcaster RUV.
Johannsson said he will take over as Prime Minister. But he said Gunnlaugsson will remain head of the Progressive Party -- which might not go down well with some Icelanders who want nothing to do with him.
Gunnlaugsson had been under intense pressure to step down since leaked documents hacked from a Panamanian law firm revealed his links to an offshore company, triggering mass protests in the capital.
But Gunnlaugsson's resignation doesn't mean the dust has settled.

source

his action is very acceptable but this is not enough .. law makers must bring him to trial.. and he must be punished for his unethical behaviours .. tax dodging is not acceptable ..
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2016, 05:43:19 PM

I have been doing some reading about this subject, and at this point my opinion is this leak is another OP. It worked so well with Wikileaks and Edward Snowden they decided to do it again. Apparently George Soros is involved at some level funding this. This explains why the Western politicians were left out of it.
Rizla2345

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 05:46:15 PM

Open Society, a Soros foundation, is funding this group of investigators. It´s disclosed on their website. I can´t recall it at the moment, you´ll find it on the other thread covering the Panama Papers.
Slowturtleinc

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 06:58:12 PM

Open Society, a Soros foundation, is funding this group of investigators. It´s disclosed on their website. I can´t recall it at the moment, you´ll find it on the other thread covering the Panama Papers.
I have been doing some reading about this subject, and at this point my opinion is this leak is another OP. It worked so well with Wikileaks and Edward Snowden they decided to do it again. Apparently George Soros is involved at some level funding this. This explains why the Western politicians were left out of it.

Now that is interesting I guess we all need to do our due diligence and find out what the agenda is for this group. For me I have only heard of them in passing and have not read to much of anything on them.
Will see if I can educate myself today on Soros Foundation.

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/about/mission-values

Mission & Values
Mission & Values
Our Mission
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.

We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.

We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.

We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.

We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.

Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.

Our Values
We believe in fundamental human rights, dignity, and the rule of law.

We believe in a society where all people are free to participate fully in civic, economic, and cultural life.

We believe in addressing inequalities that cut across multiple lines, including race, class, gender, sexual orientation, and citizenship.

We believe in holding those in power accountable for their actions and in increasing the power of historically excluded groups.

We believe in helping people and communities press for change on their own behalf.

We believe in responding quickly and flexibly to the most critical threats to open society.

We believe in taking on controversial issues and supporting bold, innovative solutions that address root causes and advance systemic change.

We believe in encouraging critical debate and respecting diverse opinions.

██████████            Gunthar: Fast and Serious Lending Service
█████████       ●●●● ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● ●●●●
██████████    ●●●● Don't loose your collateral: refinance with us ●●●●
vero

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 07:59:48 PM

A lot people are greedy, Most rich people are really greedy and they are lie and cheat and manipulate and do whatever they can get away with to keep from paying taxes.

omegaaf

Activity: 181
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 08:20:12 PM

He resigned... 2 days after he said he wouldn't resign xD

April 4th
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/04/04/icelands-pm-says-wont-resign-over-panama-papers-scandal.html

April 6th
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/europe/panama-papers-iceland-pm/index.html
Dajackal

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 08:57:01 PM

A lot people are greedy, Most rich people are really greedy and they are lie and cheat and manipulate and do whatever they can get away with to keep from paying taxes.

I don't think many people are surprised about the corruption or money. I think everybody is just surprised that theres actually proof for once.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2016, 01:41:16 AM

Amazing timing...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/831987e5b98b4d5896d7c3771e6d7a87/irs-headquarters-stay-closed-all-week-after-basement-fire
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: