Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:46:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple seems too simple (compared to Bitcoin)? Maybe that's a good thing!  (Read 764 times)
chriswilmer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 11:58:57 PM

When I read the Ripple wiki on consensus mining, it all seemed too easy. I mean, if it works, great... but somehow Bitcoin's approach seems so much more rigorous in its security. I would love to read a head-to-head comparison of the security of the Bitcoin ledger vs. the Ripple ledger.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 05:26:04 AM

Bitcoin mining was meant to distribute the security of the network to as many people as possible, unfortunately with mining pools Bitcoin has now put the bulk of the security into the hands of a dozen or so pools (p2pool the exception) that we trust not to collude, and this will probably only get smaller as competition increases and only the specialized remain.

The ripple guys said why not cut out the middle man and just choose who you trust not to collude explicitly.. While I feel the Bitcoin model is probably a little more secure, I think the Ripple model will work sufficently and will save a lot of energy.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 12:47:54 PM

+1

But although I'm very optimistic about Ripple, let's not forget that bitcoin security model has been proven for 4 years on production, while Ripple is still young software.

The "transitive credit" concept behind it has worked on small groups and local currency-like contexts. Now the challenge is taking it to the next level by also having B2B (Business To Business) mutual credit like WIR, C3 or so called barter systems. And have all those local systems interconnected.

I don't think it's simple, it has so many use cases that you're forced somehow to restructure all your thoughts on credit and money.
Repeating myself...this video helped me to that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySzqM5dpF7s

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 11:57:13 PM

Ripple is basically a competitor to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedwire as the banks would be analogous to trust nodes.

Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:20:51 AM

Can someone please send me a coin thanks  Cheesy

rsuvuGXuWdoRUJXiLQ7z9kyM4tjuXgrZJs

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Valer4ik

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 09:09:56 PM

Ripple and its supporters believe that the reason for the banks still have; more precisely, that the company can create it. Often the products on the XRP registry are compared to the Trojan horse; and as soon as Ripple's "horses" are placed in a sufficient number of banks around the world, the XRP will collapse into an unsuspecting financial system.

This is happening now: Ripple is already convincing its partners using xCurrent to switch to xRapid for additional liquidity.
carlowell

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

Presale Starting May 1st

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2018, 08:15:01 PM

When I read the Ripple wiki on consensus mining, it all seemed too easy. I mean, if it works, great... but somehow Bitcoin's approach seems so much more rigorous in its security. I would love to read a head-to-head comparison of the security of the Bitcoin ledger vs. the Ripple ledger.

Ripple is the leader of the billion supply coin group so it's pretty normal that Ripple isn't increasing it's price value even after a very long time.
But Ripple is faster than Bitcoin and it's hard forks, Ethereum, NEO and other Top Altcoin in the crypto market.
Ripple will indeed grow begged after time because there are already numbers of giant companies were partnering Ripple to offer more flexibility to each companies to their clients and customers.
I invested Ripple last year and now I am holding it for my long term goals.

platinov_and

Activity: 364
Merit: 110

SPOKKZ

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 09:22:53 PM

I do not like Ripple at all. It seems to me that this coin is controlled by banks and does not benefit people. If, this coin will become decentralized, it will be very good!

────────  SPOKKZ  ────────  
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── Join Pre-Sale
inillo

Activity: 254
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 12:02:14 PM

Ripple is owned just by one guy and does not seem to care much about the veracity of the news that populate the internet and this forum. I would not consider hodling.
pumbum

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 01:07:02 PM

why do you need to think much about security if it is not used for transactions. if I understood correctly, what exactly is used for transactions is another ripple, which is not traded on the exchange, but only is a common technology of banks, but not cryptocurrency. All the time often saw a different situation when it was really the opposite, not the way most people think
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: