Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:23:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use a BitXatm Bitcoin ATM?  (Read 1158 times)
molotok (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 09:50:53 PM

I purchased some bitcoin today using an ATM from the company BitXatm. I think the model is called Sumo. The machine is located in a café in Zurich, Switzerland. The only option I had was to print out a paper wallet. On it there are two QR codes, one for the private and one for the public key. And then there's also a very long number that says "TID" which starts with #f3...

I then tried to import the paper wallet into my online wallet at blockchain.info using the blockchain mobile app. I followed the instructions from their tutorial and I am sure I did it right, but I repeatedly got an error message saying  "transaction failed". I was able to import the public key and see the funds, but not transfer them using the private key.

On my computer I also have Electrum installed, but this wallet doesn't allow me to scan QR codes. In order to import the paper wallet into Electrum I would have to enter the private key, but there is no private key written on the paper wallet in the form of numbers.

I also checked the website of the company that owns the ATM: https://www.bitcoinsuisse.ch/de/benuetzung/ (in german)

There it says I need to use Mycelium bitcoin wallet to import the paper wallet. But I don't really want to use it because it's only a mobile app and it asks for access to my user profile.

Could it be that this ATM only works with one particular wallet? And what the heck is this "TID"? Doesn't seem like a very useful machine to me ...

I would be grateful to hear from other people who have used this type of ATM or can otherwise help me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 06:44:24 AM

You can import it in Mycelium and then from there send back to your electrum wallet. Of course like you say its the risk of them knowing your identity but I guess thats the only option based on what you write above. I suggest you do this.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 09:26:56 AM

Well the tutorial says you must use mycelium for it, you can try that and then move the balance from your mycelium to electrum
or you can just decode the QR code and that should reveal the private key, from there you can just import it directly to electrum Smiley
there are many QR code scanner app from app store, you can try to get one of them and just scan your QR code that way Smiley
Sharma
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

GATCOIN : The New Currency Of Digital Marketing

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 09:29:38 AM

i haven't got any idear if this would work, but you can also try shildenbach's android wallet... It's anonymous, free and stable... If it doesn't work: no problem, as long as you didn't sweep the address, the funds are still controlled by the private key in the QR code

█████▄▄▄▄
   ████████████▄▄▄            ▀██████
   ███ ▀▀▀▀█████████▄          ▀█████
   ███         ▀▀▀█████▄         ▀███
   ███              ▀▀████▄▄███    ▀▀
   ███                ▀███████▀
   ███                    █████
   ███     ███▄         ▄███████
   ▐██▌     ▀███▄     ▄███▀  ███
   ▐███       ▀███▄▄ ███▀     ███
    ███▌        ▀████        ▐██▌
     ███         ████         ███
      ███      ▄█████▄       ▐██
       ███   ▄████▀ ▀███▄     ▐██
        ███▄████▀     ▀███▄   ███
         █████▀         ▀███▄████
          ██▀             ▀█████▌
                            ▀███▌
  ██████                      ▀▀
  ▀▀▀███
     ███
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
             JOIN US             
TELEGRAM TWITTER FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN WHITEPAPER
molotok (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 10:30:43 AM

you can just decode the QR code and that should reveal the private key, from there you can just import it directly to electrum Smiley

I tried that. Didn't work. The app seemed to freeze during the transaction. Then later I tried the same method from my blockchain.info online wallet. Finally, this worked.

I am very new to bitcoin, but I have to say, I am surprised to see how unreliable popular wallets are. The Blockchain mobile app didn't let me import the private key via QR code, Electrum didn't let me import it using numbers ... It seems to be a bit random what works and what doesn't.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: