Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:44:20 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Bitmain Hoax/Spam/Phishing Email  (Read 818 times)
in2tactics (OP)

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 08:38:33 AM

I received an email in Chinese from support@bitmain.kf5.com and assumed it was either a hoax, spam, or phishing message based on the domain information. It had a wonderful link to something about user/setpassword?verify_code=. Has anybody else received a message like this or is anyone able to provide additional information?

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
TheKaizerWithin

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 11:49:51 AM

I got the same email, it is probably just a scam. I looked up kf5.com and it appears to be some sort of chinese cloud hosting site, which the attackers probably used to impersonate bitmain.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 12:24:53 PM

I got the same email. Kaspersky shows kf5 dot com as a legitimate site, but if I want something new from bitmain I'll go to their site rather than wait for them to come to me - helps with phishing and impulse-buying at the same time.      Wink

Bitmain posts here sometimes. Perhaps they'll offer a definitive answer.

babaji.ca

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 06:24:42 PM

I got one too!, aside from the funny link and domain, the rest of the message was in Chinese
in2tactics (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 08:00:36 PM

I got one too!, aside from the funny link and domain, the rest of the message was in Chinese

I was able to copy and paste the Chinese into google translate. It said something to the effect of "Welcome to Bitmain!"

Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
chikenfeed

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2016, 07:48:07 PM

this is what i received today:

北京比特大陆科技有限公司 欢迎邮件
北京比特大陆科技有限公司 欢迎邮件
欢迎你使用我们的服务,请点击下面链接设置密码,然后登录系统!
http://bitmain.kf5.com/user/setpassword?verify_code= 43iuh5blah blahg3i5g43u5yg3u4y5gblahblah blah etc...
这是 北京比特大陆科技有限公司 提供的邮件服务

google translation:

Bit Technology Co., Ltd. Beijing China welcome message
Bit Technology Co., Ltd. Beijing China welcome message
You are welcome to use our service, please click on the link below to set a password, and then log into the system!
http://bitmain.kf5.com/user/setpassword?verify_code= 43iuh5blah blahg3i5g43u5yg3u4y5gblahblah blah etc ...
This is the mail service Beijing Technology Co., Ltd. to provide a bit continent

what does it mean: i don't know!

is it a scam or some-sort of bullshit: i RECON so

this post by: Chikenfeed
in2tactics (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 08:07:02 PM

@chikenfeed  That is the same message I received.

chikenfeed

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2016, 08:24:22 PM

I did just try and register with bitmain that I had an s7 miner but it didn't update seaming I didn't have the tracking number or something cos I bout it on aliexpress from a bunch of rios but anyway unless it has something to do with that but I don't think I'm going to click on the link anyhow.
Kexkey

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

Smile while thinking.

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 02:44:25 AM

That could mean there's a possible leak of Bitmain customers info...

Angry

This digital signature is not a digital signature.
in2tactics (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 09:54:30 AM

That could mean there's a possible leak of Bitmain customers info...

Angry

That was my first thought.

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 11:02:05 AM

I received an email in Chinese from support@bitmain.kf5.com and assumed it was either a hoax, spam, or phishing message based on the domain information. It had a wonderful link to something about user/setpassword?verify_code=. Has anybody else received a message like this or is anyone able to provide additional information?

Definitely a scam. Dont click on the links that the send in e-mail, because it can contain malware.

Just delete scam emails like that from shady web addresses.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: