Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:31:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much bitcoin do the exchanges hold?  (Read 652 times)
JollyTrades (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 12:22:33 PM

Is there a way to tell the market capitalization of bitcoin on a particular exchange? Are their wallets publicly known, or has there been any study regarding this?

Thank you in advance,

Jian
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1560

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2016, 12:31:29 PM

There's some data available here:

https://www.walletexplorer.com/

Although it's not live updated, some addresses are old and current addresses are likely just one of many.

There's no way of telling how much does certain exchange holds exactly, unless the exchange decides to share such info and make it public.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3417

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2016, 10:04:23 AM

Base on a local exchange that I use regularly, their main wallet isn't known publicly due to security concerns and each time when I need to send or receive BTCitcoin from them, it's always a different address. From each of the addresses, usually the most I've seen is around 20 BTCitcoin inside of them. I assume the international exchanges has more (on each addresses) reserve than that since they deal with larger user base.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Luterwish

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 02:35:49 PM

The poloniex has at least 20,000 bitcoin in it. The buy walls of Ethereum alone has 10,000 bitcoins.
shintosai

Activity: 756

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 02:38:14 PM

The poloniex has at least 20,000 bitcoin in it. The buy walls of Ethereum alone has 10,000 bitcoins.
wow which means eth have the half of btc of poloniex? I think trading platform won't show the exact amount of what they holding right now for security purposes and to avoid issue with the whale who controls almost all the tradings.

Paracelsus

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

Activity: 2017

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 03:14:16 PM

This is dream of every hacker! We all know what can happen next..
JollyTrades (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 03:57:17 PM

OK, so, could we reach their earnings statements? We could then estimate their capitalization by analyzing their fee structure and making some assumptions regarding the frequency of the types of trades executed.
Bitspenser

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 04:25:40 PM

Wow, I never realized how much bitcoin was there. I was shocked when I learned that there was 3k+ BTC on the lending section, but I never saw the ETH exchange part. I hope the exchange doesn't disappear soon.
zenitzz

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 04:50:45 PM

if that's true how can you tell if poloniex have at least 20,000 BTC, and over 10,000 BTC is used for wall ethereum or you are one of those who invest in ethereum and try to make a rumors. Wink
sana54210
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 05:39:16 PM

I guess Poloniex kind of high volume exchanges might have 0.1 Million bitcoins at a time. This may go half the million when bump and dump of bitcoin or any alt coin scenarios. The hoarding with exchange wallets is not stable as it is a property of numerous members and keep on changing based on several factors.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2016, 06:46:04 PM

This is impossible and i think they cant invest 20k bitcoins for their trading .. 100 btc is enough i think because trading site is only trading from other trader and they are earning for the fee they get for every trades made by traders..

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2016, 08:39:11 PM

OK, so, could we reach their earnings statements? We could then estimate their capitalization by analyzing their fee structure and making some assumptions regarding the frequency of the types of trades executed.

Good luck with that. I don't see how you could do that even if you had detailed income statements available. Problem is most will choose to publicly present as little information as possible. All the available statements of Bitstamp and Cex.io (the only UK registered, which I had a chance to see) are 'abbreviated', there's no income statements in them, only balance sheets. That's quite normal practice though.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 11:38:30 PM

There has been talk of having publicly verifiable holdings in the past but not a great deal of action on the subject. I think Bitstamp have published one and maybe OKcoin but they were both a long time ago and probably total bollocks.
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 06:20:01 AM

It is not possible to get the actual data as to how much these exchanges are holding, because according to me, no exchanges are so transparent that they would just let everyone know how much they hold...
There are chances of being hacked, due to which I think they might not be showing the actual data, but as said earlier, you might get a glimpse of it at walletexplorer.com

JollyTrades (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 07:44:33 AM

Thanks for the answers, mates! I suppose that would be impossible to know, then.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 11:33:26 AM

Thanks for the answers, mates! I suppose that would be impossible to know, then.

why do you want to know this anyways?

they sometimes announce these things when they want to start their business, you know in the very beginning just to show they are capable of supporting the volume but after that they keep it to themselves because they don't want to be targeted.

Only Bitcoin
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2016, 11:49:30 AM

Good luck with that. I don't see how you could do that even if you had detailed income statements available. Problem is most will choose to publicly present as little information as possible. All the available statements of Bitstamp and Cex.io (the only UK registered, which I had a chance to see) are 'abbreviated', there's no income statements in them, only balance sheets. That's quite normal practice though.

Actually, on the second thought, you could get the idea of how much exchange holds from the statutory financial statements. As for BitStamp, they reported holding EUR 56m in bitcoins (customers' funds) as at 31 Oct 2014 (see note 3).
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/16/bitstamp-ltd-2014/preview/page/4/

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
JollyTrades (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 02:02:00 PM

why do you want to know this anyways?

they sometimes announce these things when they want to start their business, you know in the very beginning just to show they are capable of supporting the volume but after that they keep it to themselves because they don't want to be targeted.

For market research. To calculate the total addressable market size where only a single exchange is active.

Actually, on the second thought, you could get the idea of how much exchange holds from the statutory financial statements. As for BitStamp, they reported holding EUR 56m in bitcoins (customers' funds) as at 31 Oct 2014 (see note 3).
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/16/bitstamp-ltd-2014/preview/page/4/

Nice one, thank you!
Paracelsus

Activity: 347

Activity: 2017

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 04:32:03 PM

I believe only small fragments of btcs are locked in cold wallets rest circulating freely between users and exchanges.
But this is good, miners will have their share while we paying fee. Only security of exchanges are not on highest level, but nobody is perfect.
Ulloa

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 08:55:41 PM

I believe only small fragments of btcs are locked in cold wallets rest circulating freely between users and exchanges.
But this is good, miners will have their share while we paying fee. Only security of exchanges are not on highest level, but nobody is perfect.

I think many exchanges hold their coins in cold storage too, which is one of the reasons most exchanges have a cap on the amount of bitcoins you can withdraw.
Without it, it would be rather easy for hackers to plunder the hot wallets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: