Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:06:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Jalapeno coins per day in a few months?  (Read 2934 times)
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 09:48:18 AM

I want to make my first investment in mining buying a BFL Jalapeno. I've read that, if ordered now, they will be shipped around April.

I know it's pure guessing, but how many BTC per day do you estimate one of this Jalapeno units will make between April - October 2013?

Currently the calculators (http://allchains.info/calc.html) say 0.691BTC x day. I guess that as soon as the first ASIC arrive to the miners the difficulty will grow dramatically. Would it be a safe guess to consider 0,07btc per day with a Jalapeno, from April to October?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
punin

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 10:31:51 AM

I'd say you'd average at around 0.03BTC per day, if you're lucky.

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 10:41:10 AM

Well, that's disappointing. Then it's much more convenient to simply buy bitcoins Sad

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 01:45:40 PM

Well, that's disappointing. Then it's much more convenient to simply buy bitcoins Sad

yup. those who preordered in June should have just held bitcoins they would be almost 500% in profit right now if they had.

suckerz.... lol  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 02:26:10 PM

Mathematics or it didn't happen..
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 02:35:20 PM

Generally that's almost always the case.

Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 02:53:48 PM

Could you please elaborate?

Well, that's a pity. I was willing to invest on the stability of the network, while getting a few bitcoins in exchange. I don't want to make a profit, nor to convert the BTC to fiat, but at least I would like to recoup the investment in BTC in a reasonable timing. The truth is that, if it's true that is more convenient to buy than to mine, I don't understand the mining profitability charts I've seen (almost 20% monthly ROI? WTF?), and the amount of people preordering ASIC like crazy.

lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 02:54:28 PM

Here you go:
Just running some numbers here..

Avalon batch 1:  20 Thash
Avalon batch 2:  40 Thash
Avalon tradins:   20 Thash (trade ins are not part of batch 2.)

Total Avalon by May:  80 Thash

BFL --  with the pictures that were recently posted of the BFL (non-asic-populated) boards, I'm now in the camp that I believe BFL will be shipping a product that at least comes close to their stated goals of 7.5 Ghash per chip.  Having said that, I've seen batch numbers ranging from 15K chips to 100K chips..  At this point the most plausible I've seen are an initial batch of 15K, followed closely by another 15K followed by a 35K batch...  Going with a gut feeling partially based on all the BFL adds I'm seeing, and how active their forums are, I'm thinking they have all 3 batches sold.  So, allowing for some defects, and rounding I'm guessing:

BFL batch 1:  100 Thash
BFL batch 2:  100 Thash
BFL batch 3:  220 Thash

Total BFL by may:  420 Thash

Soo..  the way I see it, there is already 500 Thash of existing paid for pre-orders.   Factoring in existing FPGA's, free electric GPU's, Goliath, other ASICs, aliens from Omnicron, and what-not, it looks to me like if you were to order an ASIC right now, the difficulty would be at least 75MM by the time you got it.  
Let's just assume those numbers are close,
current network is ~25TH/s, those 500TH/s that probably go online within the next couple of month are 20times as much,
take the current expected reward of 0.691BTC/day and divide it by 21 and you'll end up with ~0.033BTC/day.

Is that mathematics enough for you?  Smiley

Still pure speculation of course, we might see even more than 500TH/s, or (which is unlikely) less and noone really knows on what timeframe those ressources will be added to the network, might be 1 month, or 6, or more.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 02:59:29 PM

In the long run 0.03 BTC is probably a good guess (about as good as we can make given the limited info available).  Now depending on how soon you get your Jalapeno the initial rate may be higher but it will trend downward and network size increases.

So if you were one of the lucky ones to be in Batch 1 you might get (hypothetically) say 0.2 BTC the first month, the 0.1 BTC the next month, then a couple months at ~0.06 BTC then a couple months at 0.4 BTC before settling at 0.03 BTC.  If you are thinking of preordering today then you likely are looking at 0.03 BTC from month 1 (because network will have already grown long before you get your miner).

Mining isn't a get rich scheme. 
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 03:04:02 PM

Let the race to the bottom begin.

The real winners in this game will be the very first Avalon miners and ASICMiner share owners - and also jgarzik cause he's the only person currently confirmed to have an Avalon miner in use.

Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 03:30:20 PM

Well, that's a pity. I was willing to invest on the stability of the network, while getting a few bitcoins in exchange. I don't want to make a profit, nor to convert the BTC to fiat, but at least I would like to recoup the investment in BTC in a reasonable timing. The truth is that, if it's true that is more convenient to buy than to mine, I don't understand the mining profitability charts I've seen (almost 20% monthly ROI? WTF?), and the amount of people preordering ASIC like crazy.

In the long run netting 0.03 BTC per day from a small mining investment like a Jalapeno, probably isn't a bad investment. It will add up to something over time, and people run much more expensive GPUs for less. Investing in the security of the network and getting some ROI is a good reason to get something like a Jalapeno, but at this point it shouldn't be long before they are ready to start shipping so waiting for that milestone is probably worth it to avoid paying for vaporware. Preordering now would probably stick you near the back of the cue anyway, so waiting until they cut through that a bit and can give you a more solid shipping date would be a prudent move.

Future mining profitability charts at this point are making a lot of assumptions, because they have to. Investing in a more powerful mining apparatus might help a bit in that 0.03 looks so small, then again $150 is awfully small as well for a money minting machine. The important things you need to weigh are your definitions of recouping the investment and a reasonable frame of time.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 03:56:50 PM

Well, that's a pity. I was willing to invest on the stability of the network, while getting a few bitcoins in exchange. I don't want to make a profit, nor to convert the BTC to fiat, but at least I would like to recoup the investment in BTC in a reasonable timing.

Well if that is indeed the case then get a Jalapeno or MiniSC hook it up and forget about it.  They consume very little power and take up very little space.

I think the Bitcoin price surge we've seen since the Avalon release will continue, albeit at a lower rate.  So your Mined, or purchased, BTC's will increase in value and you will recoup your equipment investment.

I'm in the same boat as you.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 04:25:00 PM

Now, imagine the price of bitcoin goes back to 5 USD. If you're the type of person that worries about such things, mining is not for you.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 05:09:34 PM

Now, imagine the price of bitcoin goes back to 5 USD. If you're the type of person that worries about such things, mining is not for you.
Ugh I had a terrible dream last night that the price had dropped from $23 to $0.50 in one night. I about shit myself when I woke up, as I actually thought it was real.

Point: This is actually a valid concern for a potential miner.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 05:34:05 PM

Ugh I had a terrible dream last night that the price had dropped from $23 to $0.50 in one night. I about shit myself when I woke up, as I actually thought it was real.

Point: This is actually a valid concern for a potential miner.

That's why it's a good idea to have a buy order at certain thresholds with your favorite exchange.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 05:56:52 PM

...those who preordered in June should have just held bitcoins they would be almost 500% in profit right now if they had.

suckerz.... lol  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
There's more than one reason to mine.  If BFL comes good and I get a couple of ASICs I'll be happy to make something off them if and for however long it is worth it in terms of electricity consumption but I also recently read it may be possible to have ASICs for the longer term off line, not hashing or consuming, on stand-by to be brought into play if and when there is an attack and the 'reserve army' of ASICs need to get to work to protect Bitcoin.  It's all very well most people putting their money into Bitcoin instead of mining but we are and will remain for some time vulnerable to attack and I'm quite happy to 'be a sucker' having a role in keeping your Bitcoin safe as well as my own;)
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 10:29:39 PM

Could you please elaborate?

Mining profitability charts are usually released by people selling mining bonds so they can scam more people out of bitcoins.

mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 11:45:55 AM

Here you go:
Just running some numbers here..

Avalon batch 1:  20 Thash
Avalon batch 2:  40 Thash
Avalon tradins:   20 Thash (trade ins are not part of batch 2.)

Total Avalon by May:  80 Thash

BFL --  with the pictures that were recently posted of the BFL (non-asic-populated) boards, I'm now in the camp that I believe BFL will be shipping a product that at least comes close to their stated goals of 7.5 Ghash per chip.  Having said that, I've seen batch numbers ranging from 15K chips to 100K chips..  At this point the most plausible I've seen are an initial batch of 15K, followed closely by another 15K followed by a 35K batch...  Going with a gut feeling partially based on all the BFL adds I'm seeing, and how active their forums are, I'm thinking they have all 3 batches sold.  So, allowing for some defects, and rounding I'm guessing:

BFL batch 1:  100 Thash
BFL batch 2:  100 Thash
BFL batch 3:  220 Thash

Total BFL by may:  420 Thash

Soo..  the way I see it, there is already 500 Thash of existing paid for pre-orders.   Factoring in existing FPGA's, free electric GPU's, Goliath, other ASICs, aliens from Omnicron, and what-not, it looks to me like if you were to order an ASIC right now, the difficulty would be at least 75MM by the time you got it.  
Let's just assume those numbers are close,
current network is ~25TH/s, those 500TH/s that probably go online within the next couple of month are 20times as much,
take the current expected reward of 0.691BTC/day and divide it by 21 and you'll end up with ~0.033BTC/day.

Is that mathematics enough for you?  Smiley

Still pure speculation of course, we might see even more than 500TH/s, or (which is unlikely) less and noone really knows on what timeframe those ressources will be added to the network, might be 1 month, or 6, or more.

This was EXACTLY what i asked for, so, yeah, very cool Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: