Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:13:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin accounting and taxes  (Read 20304 times)
steverabincpa

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 07:00:31 PM

Can I sell through a corporation then pay myself a salary to avoid capital gains, giant bracket and se tax?

This is possible, but you would be well advised to retain a tax adviser to help you execute your plans.

Can I retain you?

You are likely better off paying capital gain tax as an individual, rather than income+payroll tax, particularly if the holding period might be over a year and the capital gain is long term.  In general corporations are like lobster traps, it is easy to put stuff in but expect to pay tax when taking it out. 

Try to find a licensed tax advisor in your state (each state has its own tax rules and licensing peculiarities) who is up to speed on virtual currency issues.  I am taking qualified California bitcoin clients this 2013 tax season and am even accepting payment in Bitcoin.  I can be found through google or linkedin.

Here is my circular 230 disclaimer.  This post is intended to provide generalized tax and valuation information that is only appropriate in certain situations. It is believed accurate at this time, but these rules, alas, are constantly changing.  It is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer. These contents should not be acted upon without specific professional guidance. Our liability, under any circumstances, is limited to the amount paid for our services.  Please contact us if you have questions. 
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 08:38:02 AM

Can I sell through a corporation then pay myself a salary to avoid capital gains, giant bracket and se tax?

This is possible, but you would be well advised to retain a tax adviser to help you execute your plans.

Can I retain you?

You are likely better off paying capital gain tax as an individual, rather than income+payroll tax, particularly if the holding period might be over a year and the capital gain is long term.  In general corporations are like lobster traps, it is easy to put stuff in but expect to pay tax when taking it out. 

Try to find a licensed tax advisor in your state (each state has its own tax rules and licensing peculiarities) who is up to speed on virtual currency issues.  I am taking qualified California bitcoin clients this 2013 tax season and am even accepting payment in Bitcoin.  I can be found through google or linkedin.

Here is my circular 230 disclaimer.  This post is intended to provide generalized tax and valuation information that is only appropriate in certain situations. It is believed accurate at this time, but these rules, alas, are constantly changing.  It is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer. These contents should not be acted upon without specific professional guidance. Our liability, under any circumstances, is limited to the amount paid for our services.  Please contact us if you have questions. 

Is this because there is no self employment tax on capital gains?

Now what about people running a business accepting btc? They have to pay both income tax and capital gains if they gain anything at all on their btc?

luqash3

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:40:03 PM

Thanks for answering all the questions in such a detail and simple English that I have clarified various confusions which were built up in my mind regarding bitcoins. However, I still have one problem. Are these IRS laws applied worldwide or in some specific countries like I am not residing in USA?
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 03:30:31 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2018, 06:49:43 AM by bitpop

Thanks for answering all the questions in such a detail and simple English that I have clarified various confusions which were built up in my mind regarding bitcoins. However, I still have one problem. Are these IRS laws applied worldwide or in some specific countries like I am not residing in USA?

Irs is usa of course. If you have citizenship it applies, whether living there or not.

steverabincpa

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:10:12 AM

!!!ALERT!!!
New IRS guidance on virtual currency (VC) released 3/25/14
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Virtual-Currency-Guidance

For most purposes, IRS requires a property approach (Schedule D gain/loss) not a foreign currency approach.

VC is taxable when mined by miners.  VC transactions are reportable.  See the IRS document for details and FAQ.  If you have been doing it differently, consult a tax professional. 

Regarding the scope of IRS rules, they only apply to US taxes.  Although the IRS might wish to be the top tax authority in the US they are not.   They are beneath the constitution, the revenue code (written by lawyers in congress and constantly changing), court case law, and the treasury department.  However in the absence of guidance from these other authorities, IRS rules should be followed.

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 09:56:59 AM

On the other hand, while shares are totally fungible, bitcoins are not, at least when it comes to LIFO/FIFO.

For each spend transaction, it should be possible, at least in principle, to figure out which of your receive transactions it/they came from.  Whether the IRS would care to enforce this, or deem the LIFO/FIFO question a matter of local policy, is unknown.

Bitcoins are certainly fungible.  Fungible just means that they are a commodity that can be substituted. Just because you can specifically identify the acquisition or disposal of a particular bitcoin doesn't mean that one is any more or less useful or valuable.  I can specifically identify exactly the same information with stocks, bonds, options, etc.  

Also the cost basis of financial instruments is either determined through FIFO or specific identification. LIFO is not an option.

Pub 550 has more details here

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p550/ch04.html

This was a good discussion back when all of this was up in the air. Is the above still applicable, given that bitcoins are being treated as property? In other words, is LIFO accounting not an option?
USBitcoinServices.Com

Activity: 1666
Merit: 267

Earn bitcoins every hour: USBitcoinServices.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2018, 03:22:36 AM

If I sell tokens earned from bounties, do I have to pay taxes? or are exempted because that was a gift?

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: