Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:26:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] KeepKey - The Simple, Secure, Hardware Wallet  (Read 3433 times)
coinking (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 07:49:29 PM

If your computer is insecure so is your bitcoin wallet and if someone can access your private key then they can access your bitcoins - We need to keep this key safe.

KeepKey is a secure bitcoin wallet that is simple. It protects your money from hackers and thieves by taking over the management of private key generation, private key storage, and transaction signing. Making sure your private key is out of the reach of hackers. With keepKey you can keep your bitcoins away from hackers with out trusting a 3rd party.

KeepKey makes bitcoin safety easy and accessible for many

Click here to view our affiliate program.

Really Happy with Device - ★★★★★
The device was easy to use and setup. The best cold storage device out there for not only bitcoins but also other alt-coins. Built to be future proof including using blockchain for document signatures etc. Really well built.
-Edward T, February 8th 2016

#1 Excellent Device - ★★★★★
#1 Excellent Device for Bitcoin users. Very easy to install for beginners alike. Safely secures your bitcoins and I would recommend Keep Key to anyone serious about storing Bitcoins.It is very high quality made and in addition Keep Key has a #1 Support team. Thank Y’all Keep Key Y’all are the Best !!
-Rhonda H, February 2nd 2016

Super simple to use - ★★★★★
I just got my KeepKey and I am ecstatic. I was a bit skeptical I would not be able to figure it out but I was dead wrong. Super simple to use. When I put my first Bitcoins in, I felt safer about them than I ever have before.
-Nicholas H, January 7th 2016

KeepKey: Outstanding! - ★★★★★
Very simple yet elegant piece of hardware! Easy to use and store. The quality of the product is excellent. The Chrome extension is very easy to use. And I love the design! Thank you very much!!
-Jeff B, December 27th 2015

Gorgeous - ★★★★★
Best hardware wallet ever. Super sleek and easy to set up. Highly recommended.
-Christopher T, December 17th 2015

Click here to see more.

You can purchase a KeepKey directly from us or on Amazon. Click the appropriate logo below to purchase today.
If you buy from us directly you can pay in bitcoin - it might be the last transaction you make without a KeepKey.

.TeleX  AI.
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
▀████████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Store
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀█████
████████████░░░░░█████
███████▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀██████
███████░░░░░██▄▄▄▄▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄██░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░██████▀███████
████████████▀░░░░░░░▀█████
███████████░░░░░░░░░▄█████
████████▀████████▄██████
█████▀░░░░░░░▀████████
████▄░░░░░░░░░██████
▀████▄███████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Send/Receive
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████░███████████▄
██████░███░█████████
███████░███░██████████
███████░░░██░███████░███
████████░░░█░░░██░███░████
█████░██░░░██░██░░░█░░░███
█████░██░░░██░███░██░░░███
███░░░██░███████░███░███
██░░░██░███████░██████
█░░░████████████████
░░░██████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Trade
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 529

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 06:08:16 AM

Well done, it looks like a pretty neat hardware wallet, but if I am not wrong this is the most expensive of all other hardware wallets ? Maybe just a little bit overpriced ? Anyway congrats and keep going, I maybe buy it when I have like 100 or more BTC Smiley
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 08:02:56 AM

Well done, it looks like a pretty neat hardware wallet, but if I am not wrong this is the most expensive of all other hardware wallets ? Maybe just a little bit overpriced ? Anyway congrats and keep going, I maybe buy it when I have like 100 or more BTC Smiley

It's available for $99 now.I think that's a fair price.
Trezor costs the same. Both are high quality hardware wallets.
Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2016, 08:11:25 AM

Is it proprietary or opensourced like Trevor is now

merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 08:19:23 AM

Very nice, but shipping to europe is $50 or more when ordered from your main website... Sounds a bit much for me  Undecided
coinking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 03:31:51 PM

KeepKey is $99. It previously cost more than double this price but as they gathered more sales they were able to reduce the price.

If anyone has any specific experiences using KeepKey feel free to share your experience.

.TeleX  AI.
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
▀████████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Store
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀█████
████████████░░░░░█████
███████▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀██████
████████▀████████▄██████
█████▀░░░░░░░▀████████
████▄░░░░░░░░░██████
▀████▄███████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Send/Receive
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████░███████████▄
██████░███░█████████
███████░███░██████████
███████░░░██░███████░███
███░░░██░███████░███░███
██░░░██░███████░██████
█░░░████████████████
░░░██████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Trade
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 04:25:45 AM

Is it proprietary or opensourced like Trevor is now

It is actually open source. I don't think anyone will buy a hardware wallet that is not open source.
coinking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 06:33:05 PM

latest KeepKey article to hit the net!

http://www.trulynet.com/15704/Gadgets/modern-wallet-keepkey-puts-bitcoins-pocket/

.TeleX  AI.
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
▀████████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Store
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀█████
████████████░░░░░█████
███████▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀██████
████████▀████████▄██████
█████▀░░░░░░░▀████████
████▄░░░░░░░░░██████
▀████▄███████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Send/Receive
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████░███████████▄
██████░███░█████████
███████░███░██████████
███████░░░██░███████░███
███░░░██░███████░███░███
██░░░██░███████░██████
█░░░████████████████
░░░██████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Trade
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2016, 09:10:27 PM

KeepKey is $99. It previously cost more than double this price but as they gathered more sales they were able to reduce the price.

If anyone has any specific experiences using KeepKey feel free to share your experience.

KeepKey is simple to use with the Chrome extension and less so with Electrum. Directions for using KeepKey with Electrum are provided.

If you browse the support desk article you might wonder why go to the trouble of installing the python client just to use Electrum? Well the reason is password protection of the seed is disabled in the Chrome extension. Like Trezor the private keys in KeepKey could potentially be extracted unless protected with a passphrase. Here is a quote from the article referenced:

There is no complete protection against all kind of attacks. If your TREZOR gets stolen and it has no passphrase protection (or if the passphrase is weak), you should transfer the coins to a different wallet. There are other attack vectors like fault injection that could still be used and may get around the PIN protection. Basically, they use the fact that the microprocessor does unexpected things if power supply or the clock signal is broken. These are much more difficult to perform, but they are probably less expensive than using an electron microscope to read the seed from the chip. Also, there may be a bug in the microprocessor that allows for circumventing the read-out protection.

If you are going to use a Trezor or KeepKey it makes sense to use a passphrase to encrypt your seed. KeepKey just makes it inconvenient to do so at present. A PIN alone is not sufficient protection. A hardware wallet using a secure element (Ledger) does not need passphrase protection. You just have to make sure you initialize your Ledger on a secure computer, and Ledger sells a Starter that allows you to initialize your Ledger device (Nano and HW.1) even on a compromised computer.

coinking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 05:50:34 PM

KeepKey is simple to use with the Chrome extension and less so with Electrum. Directions for using KeepKey with Electrum are provided.

If you browse the support desk article you might wonder why go to the trouble of installing the python client just to use Electrum? Well the reason is password protection of the seed is disabled in the Chrome extension. Like Trezor the private keys in KeepKey could potentially be extracted unless protected with a passphrase. Here is a quote from the article referenced:

There is no complete protection against all kind of attacks. If your TREZOR gets stolen and it has no passphrase protection (or if the passphrase is weak), you should transfer the coins to a different wallet. There are other attack vectors like fault injection that could still be used and may get around the PIN protection. Basically, they use the fact that the microprocessor does unexpected things if power supply or the clock signal is broken. These are much more difficult to perform, but they are probably less expensive than using an electron microscope to read the seed from the chip. Also, there may be a bug in the microprocessor that allows for circumventing the read-out protection.

If you are going to use a Trezor or KeepKey it makes sense to use a passphrase to encrypt your seed. KeepKey just makes it inconvenient to do so at present. A PIN alone is not sufficient protection. A hardware wallet using a secure element (Ledger) does not need passphrase protection. You just have to make sure you initialize your Ledger on a secure computer, and Ledger sells a Starter that allows you to initialize your Ledger device (Nano and HW.1) even on a compromised computer.

Thanks for your review and input. KeepKey is always looking to improve and it's unbiased opinions like this that all the different. If anyone else has any input please do not hesitate to pipe in.

.TeleX  AI.
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
▀████████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Store
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀█████
████████████░░░░░█████
███████▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀██████
████████▀████████▄██████
█████▀░░░░░░░▀████████
████▄░░░░░░░░░██████
▀████▄███████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Send/Receive
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████░███████████▄
██████░███░█████████
███████░███░██████████
███████░░░██░███████░███
███░░░██░███████░███░███
██░░░██░███████░██████
█░░░████████████████
░░░██████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Trade
coinking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 05:53:24 PM

latest KeepKey article

Bitcoin Wallets of the Future: Secure Hardware Needed Sooner Than Later

http://bitcoinist.net/bitcoin-wallets-hardware-needed/

.TeleX  AI.
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
▀████████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Store
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀█████
████████████░░░░░█████
███████▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀██████
████████▀████████▄██████
█████▀░░░░░░░▀████████
████▄░░░░░░░░░██████
▀████▄███████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Send/Receive
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄████░███████████▄
██████░███░█████████
███████░███░██████████
███████░░░██░███████░███
███░░░██░███████░███░███
██░░░██░███████░██████
█░░░████████████████
░░░██████████████▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Trade
andyatcrux
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 12:34:07 AM

One of the best purchases I have ever made. Great product, really easy to use. Well worth the $99 for the peace of mind.
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 09:07:47 AM

Looking at the image, I can't see it. Is the besel visible? (Can you see a distinct line between the LCD screen and the case of the device?)

Anyone interested in the Trezor 2.0?
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2016, 02:02:01 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2016, 08:01:35 PM by BitcoinNewsMagazine

Looking at the image, I can't see it. Is the besel visible? (Can you see a distinct line between the LCD screen and the case of the device?)

Anyone interested in the Trezor 2.0?

If you look at a KeepKey from the side you see a dark grey aluminum base and the black clear plastic screen. The dividing line is exactly half of the depth of the device. You can see some clear pictures at the Amazon product listing. The case is quite beautiful and pleasing to hold. Looks like something Apple might design.

Since both Trezor and KeepKey cost the same, which to buy?

Reasons to go with KeepKey:

1) You like the looks and do not need a hardware wallet that works with your Android phone. You are comfortable using it with Multibit HD or the Chrome extension. Passphrase protection of your seed is not essential to you, but you like knowing you can do it using Chrome or Electrum.
2) You appreciate the 12 word seed and the novel rotating cipher recovery method. Perhaps you store the seed securely and wipe the KeepKey between uses, in effect turning it into a transaction device for a paper wallet.

Reasons to buy Trezor:

1) You like the compact size and do require a hardware wallet that works with your Android phone and many other wallets.
2) You do not mind storing a 24 word seed and realize recovering your seed to a new Trezor is slightly less secure than the method KeepKey uses in theory.
3) You need the password manager recently introduced by Trezor.
4) Trezor was the innovator with a two year track record. You prefer to support SatoshiLabs rather than KeepKey, who build a business off the open source Trezor firmware.

Either will serve you well and there is no reason not to own both. Though most folks who use a hardware wallet tend to stay with one brand and become intimately familiar with its features. Remember that all electronics can fail and it is a good idea to have a spare of your favored brand on hand in case of loss or failure. Trezor 2.0 is sometime in the future, not in a few months. There is no reason to delay purchasing a Trezor as your current one will continue to function as designed even if an improved version is introduced.

Hix
Legendary

Activity: 1971
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 06:10:53 PM

Why you don`t send your wallet to Russia?
I want to buy, but i can`t !
Wind_FURY
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1820

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 06:13:55 AM

Keepkey looks good and what I like best about it is it works well with Multibit HD from what I read. I do not own a bitcoin hardware wallet yet but I think my btc savings need to be transferred in one so I can sleep well at night.

I am still undecided whether to get a Trezor or a Keepkey. For the cheaper price I might go for Keepkey.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
.SHUFFLE.COM..███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
...Next Generation Crypto Casino...
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 07:13:38 PM

That KeepKey definitely looks nice.  I have a Trezor but when I got that, the KeepKey was still 200 bucks.  Different story now though.  Waiting for Trezor 2 so that I can compare the latest KeepKey with that and then decide.  I want another hardware wallet and my traffic easily justifies one.  Plus its another toy for the boy that never grew up.  LOL!

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
BitcoinWalletGuy

Activity: 11
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:37:05 PM

Just published an in-depth look at KeepKey along with some suggestions on how it can further improve.

https://bitcoinwalletguy.com/keepkey-review/
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 7068

Cashback 15%

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2019, 03:25:41 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2019, 09:35:49 PM by dkbit98

Attention!!!

Flaw in Keepkey Crypto Hardware Wallet found by Kraken Security Labs

source link:
https://blog.kraken.com/post/3245/flaw-found-in-keepkey-crypto-hardware-wallet/

More detailed explanation:
https://blog.kraken.com/post/3248/flaw-found-in-keepkey-crypto-hardware-wallet-part-2/

How to protect yourself:
- Do not allow anyone contact with your KeepKey wallet
- Enable BIP39 password for KeepKey cleint

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
DireWolfM14
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 4237

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2019, 03:10:35 AM

How to protect yourself:
- Do not allow anyone contact with your KeepKey wallet
- Enable BIP39 password for KeepKey cleint

I believe all open-source hardware wallets are susceptible to similar physical attacks.  A few months ago Trezor was discovered to suffer from an identical vulnerability.  The use of a strong Bip39 passphrase is a must, even if you believe your hardware wallet is safe from theft or loss.

▄▄███████▄███████▄▄▄
 █████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄
███████████████
       ▀▀███▄
███████████████
          ▀███
 █████████████
             ███
███████████▀▀               ███
███                         ███
███                         ███