Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:11:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: linux bitcoind and bitcoind -daemon  (Read 990 times)
donatebitcointome (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 01:53:17 AM

sorry for this noob question.

1. When running bitcoind on Linux. what is the difference between just "bitcoind" and "bitcoind -daemon"

2. I try just "bitcoind" and it seems it load forever and I dunno whether it runs or not. so I press Ctrl + C to stop it.
does it stay in the background?
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2016, 02:17:38 AM

1. When running bitcoind on Linux. what is the difference between just "bitcoind" and "bitcoind -daemon"
AFAIK, there is no difference.

2. I try just "bitcoind" and it seems it load forever and I dunno whether it runs or not. so I press Ctrl + C to stop it.
That is actually normal, to not see any output when running bitcoind. In fact, there should be absolutely no output from the bitcoind whatsoever, and if there is, something wrong happened. Just leave it running and open another terminal and use bitcoin-cli to send commands to the bitcoind. If it is still starting, you will get an error about it still starting up or verifying blocks. It is ready when you are actually getting the right output for your commands.

skeletonbit

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 11:36:46 AM

Try to run bitcoin-qt in the terminal that should work.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 11:43:00 AM

If you want it in the background, use -daemon

Otherwise when you hit ctrl-c, you've stopped it.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2016, 01:38:50 PM

The -daemon option runs it in the background.  Without the option, it'll run in the foreground and will die when you hit control-c or if you shut down the terminal window.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
onepix

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 02:55:21 PM

Hello,

bitcoind <- bitcoin deamon = core value of the software (bitcoind -printtoconsole -debug=1)
bitcoin-cli <- bitcoin command line interface = allow you to "query' the blockchain that you had download previously with bitcoind. You must run bitcoind to use this command (obvious ?) (bitcoin-cli getmininginfo)
bitcoin-qt <- Graphical bitcoin software = bitcoind + graphical interface (You can find a graphical console embedded in which you will use bitcoin-cli command)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: