Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:30:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help with default_wallet  (Read 659 times)
plshelp111 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 02:33:51 PM

I just downloaded the latest version of Electrum (2.6.4) and without thinking, sent coins to an address on the default_wallet.  I've never used Electrum before but from my understanding, it's supposed to set you up with a wallet - password and seed - when you install it, right?  That never happened for the default_wallet, and now I have coins on it that I can't send because it requires a password that I never had the chance to set up.  What do I do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2016, 03:38:02 PM

I just downloaded the latest version of Electrum (2.6.4) and without thinking, sent coins to an address on the default_wallet.  I've never used Electrum before but from my understanding, it's supposed to set you up with a wallet - password and seed - when you install it, right?  That never happened for the default_wallet, and now I have coins on it that I can't send because it requires a password that I never had the chance to set up.  What do I do?

That's strange, it should have provided you with a seed at the first run after the install and you must have entered the password whilst making the wallet, either that or there was a previous version of electrum on the machine and a wallet was made with a password on that.

Without the password and/or seed, there's not much you can do. Undecided

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2016, 04:21:36 PM

I just downloaded the latest version of Electrum (2.6.4) and without thinking, sent coins to an address on the default_wallet.  I've never used Electrum before but from my understanding, it's supposed to set you up with a wallet - password and seed - when you install it, right?  That never happened for the default_wallet, and now I have coins on it that I can't send because it requires a password that I never had the chance to set up.  What do I do?

Remember the password. Electrum does not automatically generate a password protected wallet for you, it asks you for these information. What you describe happens when you had a previous installment of electrum and did not remove the wallet files (they dont get deleted automatically on uninstall).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
plshelp111 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 05:41:33 PM

Well shit, I don't ever remember installing electrum on this computer before but maybe I did, guess I'll have to do some digging.  Thanks
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 08:54:38 AM

Well shit, I don't ever remember installing electrum on this computer before but maybe I did, guess I'll have to do some digging.  Thanks
try to export private key of the btc address you received btc. and import it to blockchain. thats the way you can recover your balance..
xxxDD

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 09:17:53 AM

try to export private key of the btc address you received btc. and import it to blockchain. thats the way you can recover your balance..
If he don't have password, he can't do this.

The last thing he can do is that find the phrase and restore the wallet
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2016, 10:32:39 AM

If you can narrow it down to a few billion passwords you need to try, you might wana try -> https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: