Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:56:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: visualzing bitcoin core  (Read 574 times)
r1973 (OP)

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 06:40:47 PM

I am running a bitcoin core (v-0.12.1), I am not sure why. Is there a way to visualize the client, as to how it connects to the network?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 06:47:06 PM

Could you specify what you mean, please? Do you mean a visualization of the nodes your client is connected with?

If you need some general charts and visualization about Bitcoin transactions etc, then you will some nice stuff here:
http://www.bitcoinlinks.net/tag/transaction-visualizations
r1973 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 06:54:43 PM

Do you mean a visualization of the nodes your client is connected with?

Yes, exactly. Is it possible? How?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2016, 06:57:11 PM

Do you mean a visualization of the nodes your client is connected with?

Yes, exactly. Is it possible? How?
You would need third party software. Bitcoin Core will only tell you some stats about your peers but no "visualization".

r1973 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 07:02:14 PM

You would need third party software. Bitcoin Core will only tell you some stats about your peers but no "visualization".

Which third party software? Is it safe to use?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2016, 07:02:58 PM

I don't know of any that would do that. I just know that Bitcoin Core itself does not give any visualizations of anything.

NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 07:20:53 PM

I don't know of any that would do that. I just know that Bitcoin Core itself does not give any visualizations of anything.

I'm (possibly) sure theirs only information on which nodes are connected to the network, but, not actually the chain of nodes that broadcasted their IP:Port to make them visible.

well, it would be easy to do if you could access a history of which nodes broadcasted which nodes, and which nodes broadcasted them...... but you can't, and you can't listen to port 8333 to find which nodes are connected to you (because bitcoind would be using it) the only possible options, would be to get a list of known nodes in the network and individually request which nodes they're connected to and then map out the results... but i also doubt that theirs an API to query nodes for this information, if there's, you would need the username/password (per node) to make an RPC request. But you can see each connected nodes, and their IP (which helps determine their location) here

tl;dr: no...

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
r1973 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 07:34:20 PM

I'm (possibly) sure theirs only information on which nodes are connected to the network, but, not actually the chain of nodes that broadcasted their IP:Port to make them visible.

well, it would be easy to do if you could access a history of which nodes broadcasted which nodes, and which nodes broadcasted them...... but you can't, and you can't listen to port 8333 to find which nodes are connected to you (because bitcoind would be using it) the only possible options, would be to get a list of known nodes in the network and individually request which nodes they're connected to and then map out the results... but i also doubt that theirs an API to query nodes for this information, if there's, you would need the username/password (per node) to make an RPC request. But you can see each connected nodes, and their IP (which helps determine their location) here

So nothing to show my brother and parents who were "staring" at my PC, looking at the bitcoin-core, and seeing nothing - and trying to understand it. It (the core) doen't have an incentive, unlike mining...
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 07:47:51 PM

So nothing to show my brother and parents who were "staring" at my PC, looking at the bitcoin-core, and seeing nothing - and trying to understand it. It (the core) doen't have an incentive, unlike mining...

Well, the only safe way to securely store your wallets is in a local core network which is password protected, or on a paper wallet... That has to be seen as an incentive (though you'd agree that a financial one would have been more preferable)  Cheesy

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2016, 08:41:45 PM

What are you trying to show them? That it's connected to something? If you want that, you can hover over one of the icons in the lower right hand corner and it will tell you what it is connected to. Or you can go to Help > Debug Window then the Network Traffic and the Peers tab will show you the data that Bitcoin Core has uploaded and downloaded and the peers it is connected to.

CryptoJeweler

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2016, 09:17:24 PM

I am running a bitcoin core (v-0.12.1), I am not sure why. Is there a way to visualize the client, as to how it connects to the network?

Hi r1973,

Check below given forum it may help you.
https://vvvv.org/forum/websocket-client-node-(-connecting-to-blockchain-)

Thank you
CryptoJeweler
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: