Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:06:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google doesnt exactly say No to bitcoins as payout option for Google Checkout  (Read 2091 times)
cottoneyeJoe (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:01:49 PM

On a whim and in the tradition of trying to keep the pressure on the established players to support bitcoin, I asked Google Checkout when they would support bitcoin for seller payouts.

The response wasnt yes, but neither was it a "no way". I was pleasantly surprised at the "maybe someday". So...we may be beyond the phase where "they ignore you".

----------------------------------
checkout-merchant-support@google.com   
12:53 PM (1 minute ago)

to me

Hello XXXXX,
Google Checkout currently doesn’t provide payouts using Bitcoin, though we may introduce this feature in the future. We’ll take your feedback into account as we move forward with product development.
We always welcome suggestions for how we can improve Google Checkout, so please continue to send us your comments in the future.

Sincerely,
Arthur
The Google Checkout Team
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:09:35 PM

I'd say that's a perfect response =)

As long as they know Bitcoin is growing and customers increasingly ask for it, they will give it serious consideration.

With that said, I doubt any large company will touch Bitcoin until some legal precedent is set. Once set, they'll jump in quickly.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 09:18:01 PM

I'd say that's a perfect response =)

As long as they know Bitcoin is growing and customers increasingly ask for it, they will give it serious consideration.

With that said, I doubt any large company will touch Bitcoin until some legal precedent is set. Once set, they'll jump in quickly.

Um, what about Satoshi Dice and Wordpress? Those are both fairly large.  Tongue

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:29:04 PM

It is a good response but sounds kinda canned to any feature or service request.

I agree, sounds very cookie cutter.  I would suggest sending a follow-up request but substitute Bitcoin with LTC or conch shells or anything and see if you get a similar response.  Nice job on being proactive though.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:30:28 PM

It's a boiler-plate response.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:36:34 PM

On a whim and in the tradition of trying to keep the pressure on the established players to support bitcoin, I asked Google Checkout when they would support bitcoin for seller payouts.

Joe, how much time elapsed between the time you sent your message and the time you received a reply?

A longer time of several days, might indicate a non-boilerplate answer requiring some consultation upstairs.  

Whereas 24hs or less, probably implies a canned response.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:00:25 PM

We know Eric Schmidt knows about bitcoin and likes the idea.   I suspect their concerns are juridic.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 10:08:21 PM

It is a good response but sounds kinda canned to any feature or service request.

I agree, sounds very cookie cutter.  I would suggest sending a follow-up request but substitute Bitcoin with LTC or conch shells or anything and see if you get a similar response.  Nice job on being proactive though.

Ask if they'll take Amazon Coins.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

Google must be very very very sure about EVERYTHING before accepting bitcoins, they are a huge company

sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

I added google check out as a payment option for my customers. Google will consider all evidence that you provide in the case of disputes unlike PP.
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:24:07 PM

Google would not tell anybody in advance if they were researching bitcoin, unless they are sure the exchange rate can take the news. I.e. stiffer price resistance through widespread use, so a kid with 250.000 BTC can't send it on a month long correction.
Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 10:56:09 AM

Eric Schmidt of Google thinks positively of Bitcoin already, and already mentioned that Google scrapped an idea to create their own peer-to-peer currency exchange system due to legal liability. Source (scroll to bottom): http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/28/technology/google_future_of_internet/index.htm

But with services like BitPay, Google can accept Bitcoin with 0 liability.
Gestas

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:11:15 PM

Ugh, of course Google would adopt another fiat based currency like Bitcoin (Bitcoins value is inherently tied to the USD). When are we going to have a currency with real value?
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:20:50 PM

Or run away quickly, depending on the legal precedent.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:24:57 PM

Eric Schmidt of Google thinks positively of Bitcoin already, and already mentioned that Google scrapped an idea to create their own peer-to-peer currency exchange system due to legal liability. Source (scroll to bottom): http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/28/technology/google_future_of_internet/index.htm

And it would be a really nice way to counterbalance the newly released Ama-coins. Google would save itself the aggravation of having to design a currency (though Ama-coins are really a gift card), and the possibility of it getting hacked the minute it hits the internet.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 03:28:51 PM

Instead of using BitPay, I'm pretty sure they'd rather copy them and offer a similar service if it appears to them that BitPay is totally safe juridically. 

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:20:04 PM

Ugh, of course Google would adopt another fiat based currency like Bitcoin (Bitcoins value is inherently tied to the USD). When are we going to have a currency with real value?

This makes no sense. Have you seen how the USD/BTC exchange rate has changed over the past couple months? Clearly they are not inherently tied together!

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 05:18:16 PM

Newsbreak : Google to introduce payouts using Bitcoin in "may"

Seriously : Good try, Their reply is very polite yet uninformative.
Gestas

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 11:35:24 PM

This makes no sense. Have you seen how the USD/BTC exchange rate has changed over the past couple months? Clearly they are not inherently tied together!
Speculative bubble, that kind of growth isnt sustainable. Sell sell sell!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: