Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:04:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If BitCoin exchanges are shutdown/banned in the USA outright...  (Read 1817 times)
JeanLucPicard (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:28:53 AM

Can US citizens technically still use it?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:47:02 AM

Technically, yes.  Legally, probably not.  It would depend on if the law outlawed it, which it likely would.
royalecraig

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 06:18:19 AM

Help protect the Net.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/achievement-unlocked-set-up-tor-relays-get-a-molly-crabapple-poster
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:37:28 AM

What if I were to lease a server in Sweden (or some neutral country that has not outlawd Bitcoin) and physically ran my Bitcoin client there controlling it remotely from the US? Assuming that I never send or receive Bitcoins to or from the US, would I still be breaking US laws then?
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:57:40 AM

If you will stay beneficiary of that, and will keep US citizenship, then   yes, technically  you will stay under US law. Say thanks to all that senators and other human trash, that you choose as your representatives. But that, will be much harder to proove in that case. Especially in case if you will not contact that remote note without TOR or other anonymity tech.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: