Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:36:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin full node issue  (Read 639 times)
firedrop (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 11:36:01 PM

Hi All,

I thought you may be able to help me with the setup of bitcoin full node.

I have downloaded recently Bitcoin full node where it is catching up with the blockchain (I am 19 weeks behind).

I have tried now for few days to sort all the configuration and make sure it is working nicely on my laptop. Below are the issues I noticed:-

1) The download of the blockchain has been VERY slow. It is my forth day. However, I am almost there.
2) The number of connection which I have is usually 8 and sometimes it goes to 9 (only 1 in and 8 out). I am not sure why I am not getting more. Sometimes I have zero in.
3) When I test in bitnodes to check if I am reachable. In most cases it says I am not. however, sometimes it says I am.

Please be advised I have already done the following:-
1) Setup the static IP address int he DHCP for my laptop
2) Done the port forwarding for 8333 and 18333
3) Ensure that firewall in my router isn't enable and disabled the firewall fully on my desktop (will add later the port and enable my firewall).

Can you please advise why I am not getting many incoming connection and why I am not reachable most of the times in bitnodes.

I really appreciate your support. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2016, 02:20:47 AM

Hi All,

I thought you may be able to help me with the setup of bitcoin full node.

I have downloaded recently Bitcoin full node where it is catching up with the blockchain (I am 19 weeks behind).

I have tried now for few days to sort all the configuration and make sure it is working nicely on my laptop. Below are the issues I noticed:-

1) The download of the blockchain has been VERY slow. It is my forth day. However, I am almost there.
The blockchain is 60+ Gb, it is going to take a while to download. What also matters is your hard drive, CPU, and RAM. It needs to store all of that data to the disk and index the data which is CPU and RAM intensive. It is faster with an SSD, a decent CPU, and at least 4 Gb of RAM.

2) The number of connection which I have is usually 8 and sometimes it goes to 9 (only 1 in and 8 out). I am not sure why I am not getting more. Sometimes I have zero in.
That is pretty normal, especially for a new node that isn't synced yet. Wait to be synced and then just leave it on for a while and you should get more connections over time.

3) When I test in bitnodes to check if I am reachable. In most cases it says I am not. however, sometimes it says I am.
That could also be an indicator of a problem with your firewalls, however generally this is hard to diagnose. If you want, you can PM me your IP address and I can attempt to connect with my own node.

firedrop (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 07:32:31 AM

Thanks.

I have PM you my IP address.
xqus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 06:15:13 PM

That could also be an indicator of a problem with your firewalls, however generally this is hard to diagnose. If you want, you can PM me your IP address and I can attempt to connect with my own node.

My experience is that if you are syncing, and your node has a high CPU load this test will time out before your node will reply. Since you sometimes have one incoming connection your setup is probably OK. If you want I can try to connect my node aswell. Just PM me the IP.  Smiley

PGP fingerprint: B17233A1 || Bitrated user: xqus ≡ Free trust agent || LocalBitcoins ≡ Buy bitcoins locally
Wallet and Exchange security ≡ A security overview of wallets and exchanges. (forum thread)
firedrop (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 03:51:21 PM

Thank you all for responding to my post.

The blockchain is now fully downloaded where I can see the incoming connection started to come. I am getting today around 10 - 12 incoming connection. Unfortunately, I will not be able to run it 24/7 (at least for the time being). I am going to dedicate some device or raspberry pi for this. I should have enough bandwith to run one full node.

Time to start the learning curve of more technical aspect of it Smiley.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: