Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:34:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My 2,000 BTC is all gone :(  (Read 8984 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 07:14:58 PM

ITT: Attention-grabbing title to brag about an irresponsible gamble.
FTFY

anything wrong with that?

I don't think so!   It got my attention.

"Took $15,000 from husband to earn a car speculating on bitcoin" would've done it for me, too.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 07:49:39 PM

FTFY

I don't think so!   It got my attention.

"Took $15,000 from husband to earn a car speculating on bitcoin" would've done it for me, too.

Not exactly "took from husband" as the HELOC is in both our names. It's more like "took money from join checking account without bothering to ask my husband." I hear it is a very frequent problems with guys who have wives (my SA goon friend's wife maxes out his cards all the damn time). At least my money wasn't being thrown away on something useless, and was put into what was a fairly secure investment at the time.

P.P.S. Not only am I the financial expert in the family (saved parents a few $10k through refinances and other financial tricks, bailed friends out financially, etc), I also fully fund my husband's IRA ever year, and let him keep the resulting $2,000 tax return that he gets from it (that's on top of the $500/paycheck I put into my own 401k. Retirement first, Bitcoin as a bonus second). I'm not all bad Cheesy
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 08:20:04 PM

FTFY

I don't think so!   It got my attention.

Not exactly "took from husband" as the HELOC is in both our names. It's more like "took money from join checking account without bothering to ask my husband." I hear it is a very frequent problems with guys who have wives (my SA goon friend's wife maxes out his cards all the damn time). At least my money wasn't being thrown away on something useless, and was put into what was a fairly secure investment at the time.

P.P.S. Not only am I the financial expert in the family (saved parents a few $10k through refinances and other financial tricks, bailed friends out financially, etc), I also fully fund my husband's IRA ever year, and let him keep the resulting $2,000 tax return that he gets from it (that's on top of the $500/paycheck I put into my own 401k. Retirement first, Bitcoin as a bonus second). I'm not all bad Cheesy

Great stuff, keep it up!
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:09:13 AM

Nice car by the way. How many D cells does that thing take!  Grin
120 ?  http://imabattery.blogspot.com

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:13:36 AM

So, my husband owns the house (the mortgage is in his name), but a few years ago we opened a HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) together, with both our names on it. Some time last summer, I borrowed $15,000 from the HELOC without really asking for permission or telling my husband about it. I told him eventually (he asked about it after seeing a transfer on the monthly statement). I used that entire $15,000 to invest in bitcoins, and bought about 2,000+ of them.
Anyway, as of last Sunday, it's all gone. No more 2,000+ BTC. All gone poof  Cry

You must have an understanding husband or you now use the new car to live in  Smiley

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:24:43 AM

Nice car by the way. How many D cells does that thing take!  Grin
120 ?  http://imabattery.blogspot.com
Did you purposefully link to a blog that accepts Bitcoin donations?
BigFigurez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:36:15 AM

Isn't this a good thing? BTC rose so whenever you invested should be at least +50% by now
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:06:51 PM

This thread is precious in the light of all the screaming "deflationary currency prevents spending and will kill the economy!!!".

This, this, this!

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:58:47 PM

This thread is precious in the light of all the screaming "deflationary currency prevents spending and will kill the economy!!!".

This, this, this!

It's an interesting psychological situation.  Because things become cheaper and cheaper as you go along, you think, "Wow, this car would have cost me 9000 BTC last year, but now I can buy it for only 1500 BTC, that's a steal!"  Nevermind that you'd be able to buy it for 375 BTC the next year.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:08:16 PM

This, this, this!

It's an interesting psychological situation.  Because things become cheaper and cheaper as you go along, you think, "Wow, this car would have cost me 9000 BTC last year, but now I can buy it for only 1500 BTC, that's a steal!"  Nevermind that you'd be able to buy it for 375 BTC the next year.

that's called deflation: hold it until there is no other possibility. which is good for an asset but not for a currency.

Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:55:47 PM

This, this, this!

Granted, had I waited two weeks, I could've had almost $10,000 more. Though it may have been just as likely that as soon as it had reached $22.5, it went down to $15 again.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:57:51 PM

that's called deflation: hold it until there is no other possibility. which is good for an asset but not for a currency.

What's the difference, really? I'll refuse to sell my appreciating stocks and commodities, just like I'll refuse to sell my appreciating Bitcoin... And most of the wealth out there is in assets, not USD...
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:08:06 PM

This, this, this!

Could you elaborate on "not good for a currency" part? I am still failing to see a real problem (not the academic mumbo-jumbo theories that come and go). You buy and sell things as you see fit, you correct for inflation or deflation when discussing "real" value over a period of time, and that's it. If you want to hoard, go ahead and hoard and even die like an old, poor fool if you choose to do so. Or remember that the economy might shrink, leading suddenly to a relative surplus of coins - now you can buy less than yesterday with the same coin you saved.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:50:46 PM

All money will soon lose value, as it's useless.  Focus on what makes you happy.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 09:10:55 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2013, 10:14:06 PM by Gyrsur

This, this, this!

It's an interesting psychological situation.  Because things become cheaper and cheaper as you go along, you think, "Wow, this car would have cost me 9000 BTC last year, but now I can buy it for only 1500 BTC, that's a steal!"  Nevermind that you'd be able to buy it for 375 BTC the next year.

Could you elaborate on "not good for a currency" part?

a currency where the value of it is constantly growing may prevent not too few people to use it as a currency to spent it easily and buy things for daily live. such a currency may be too valuable to buy ordinary things with it. but this are only thoughts. if I spent a large amount of bitcoins I would immediately buy the whole amount back through fiat money which means I use only the transaction functionality of it. but could be this is not preventable within the adoption phase and will persist until the value of bitcoin is roughly estimated.

EDIT: look at what e.g. MtGox (fees), SatoshiDICE and FastCash4Bitcoins is doing since a while. it is in exactly the same way as described above.

Vince Torres

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:18:38 PM

Lmfao a financial expert that takes the equity from their house to buy a virtual currency.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:23:08 PM

Lmfao a financial expert that takes the equity from their house to buy a virtual currency.
It was a calculated risk, and it paid off.  Far better than the people who take equity from their house to buy a new boat IMO!
cointell

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:51:05 PM

I wonder how well that strategy will work out for this guy...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/18f3pd/i_have_my_entire_retirement_and_savings_invested/
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 09:58:28 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2013, 10:41:39 PM by Gyrsur

lead to the question what is the value of bitcoin and is this value untouchable?

EDIT: it's very hypothetical but not unfeasible: a ban of BitCoin by United Nations (www.un.org/en/ecosoc/) because of undefined reasons (at the moment) is a possible risk.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 11:43:51 PM

Most people who don't plan on bequeathing their wealth to someone else are intending to liquidate their assets at some point - whether those assets are BTC, property, or Berkley Hathaway shares.

While everyone should make provisions for living comfortably in retirement, quality of life in the meantime also matters (after all, with official retirement age nearing 70 in many Western countries, a lot of people aren't even going to live to retirement age). 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: