Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:24:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Malicious ASIC - What's the cost?  (Read 1440 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 05:48:12 PM

Someone please answer me this: Does an ASIC have to be built differently if one wants to use it for malicious purposes, specifically a 51% attack?

I'm not entirely sure how ASICs work but I thought the chips have the mining code backed in meaning if someone would want to change that code to do something malicious they'd need new chips with the new code backed in? Is this so?

If not, how hard is it to use ASICs for malicious purposes? Are there any barriers?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 05:58:46 PM

You mean selling chips with a backdoor that once activated redirects the outputs of the hashing process to a private pool? I take that as highly unlikely. You can only hide your code in the chips itself, but you need to have it at a higher level, like board level.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 06:02:30 PM

No I mean, is the part of the code of a miner that deals with adding transactions and building blocks according to the rules backed into the chips and an attacker who would want to do a 51% would have to get new chips or is that part of a miner just software that can be easily changed to perform the 51% attack?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 07:39:52 PM

No I mean, is the part of the code of a miner that deals with adding transactions and building blocks according to the rules backed into the chips and an attacker who would want to do a 51% would have to get new chips or is that part of a miner just software that can be easily changed to perform the 51% attack?

That would be in the software. The ASICs would just hash whatever they are fed. Feeding the ASICs values to hash is all in the software.

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 07:45:32 PM

That would be in the software. The ASICs would just hash whatever they are fed. Feeding the ASICs values to hash is all in the software.

Ouch, so ASICs made Bitcoin quite a bit more susceptible to an attack since it's likely they'll be in less hands than GPU and FPGA miners were. Of course someone would have to be determined enough to waste a bunch of money on something he wont be able to use for anything else once Bitcoin is disrupted and likely destroyed.

jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 07:53:05 PM

Ouch, so ASICs made Bitcoin quite a bit more susceptible to an attack since it's likely they'll be in less hands than GPU and FPGA miners were. Of course someone would have to be determined enough to waste a bunch of money on something he wont be able to use for anything else once Bitcoin is disrupted and likely destroyed.

in the GPU/FPGA days, a malicious entity could have developed their own ASICs and relatively easily performed a >50% attack. once asics are widely available, it will be much more difficult.

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 08:28:50 PM

in the GPU/FPGA days, a malicious entity could have developed their own ASICs and relatively easily performed a >50% attack. once asics are widely available, it will be much more difficult.

Yeah, you're right.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 09:28:39 PM

Precisely. So long as ASICs are widely distributed, the chance of an attack occurring dwindles significantly. The question then becomes what will eventually replace an ASIC (if anything) that is much more powerful?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:14:46 PM

Precisely. So long as ASICs are widely distributed, the chance of an attack occurring dwindles significantly. The question then becomes what will eventually replace an ASIC (if anything) that is much more powerful?

Nothing.  Purpose-built ICs are the end of the line.

Or rather, better ASICs replace the early ASICS, and eventually will be replaced by even better ASICs.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: