Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:48:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The big picture  (Read 1322 times)
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 09:05:03 AM

Time to step back and take a disinterested look: how are we doing?

Note - volume in USD, weekly averages, log scale to avoid distortion. Time span chosen to eliminate early days with negligible volume.

We have surpassed the weekly maximum average of 2011! All time highs!
The volume looks healthy, too.
All in all, I find the picture appealing. What do you think?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Uglux

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 09:20:06 AM

This
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:58:30 PM

How about this volume?

Big difference, eh? That's a lot of divergence! You can talk about higher USD volume when there is a higher price, but this just means lower BTC volume, which is the base asset. You wouldn't look at an APPL chart and compare the USD volume of 2000 and now because of course the volume would be much higher. You look at the number of shares moving.

Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 01:04:31 PM

How about this volume?

*image redacted*

Big difference, eh? That's a lot of divergence! You can talk about higher USD volume when there is a higher price, but this just means lower BTC volume, which is the base asset. You wouldn't look at an APPL chart and compare the USD volume of 2000 and now because of course the volume would be much higher. You look at the number of shares moving.

In this case lower BTC volume may mean more BTC off the exchange.  Maybe in people's wallet, maybe used for financing projects, maybe on another exchange.  One should expect BTC volume to go down over time. 

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 01:12:05 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2013, 01:25:21 PM by Rothgar

For example volume in China is growing.  

http://www.bitcoincharts.com/charts/btcnCNY#igWeeklyztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv

That's only one of the three exchanges that trade against the yuan.  

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 01:24:33 PM

BTC being very scarce, and bitcoins still being used more as a speculative asset than a medium of exchange, I would think that the volumes in exchanges in terms of BTC volume perhaps should go down long term and that's a healthy sign. Not sure about this but just thinking out loud.

The volume in terms of fiat should definitely go up even if more and more bitcoins are used outside the exchanges. This is because more usage usually leads to a higher market price as well.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 03:20:04 PM

How about this volume?

People today value bitcoins in terms of fiat. Increase in USD volume means exactly that the btc "economy" is growing (yes, this includes speculative and store-of-value uses), and I express this growth in "real" terms of USD. Yes, there is USD inflation, but it is still lower than the BTC inflation (I speak of inflation of the monetary base).
We should not fixate on numbers without understanding what they represent - in this case, USD represents value of a good or a service, and this metric is much more stable than BTC metric.
BTC trade volume is currently a useless number.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 04:39:34 PM

Yes, there is USD inflation, but it is still lower than the BTC inflation (I speak of inflation of the monetary base).

Not true.  USD inflation is $85B or 3% per month.  The future is determined by the. FOMC.  While BTC inflation is 1% per month and dropping.  Yes, this is monetary inflation.  Look up QE4.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:54:41 PM

Yes, there is USD inflation, but it is still lower than the BTC inflation (I speak of inflation of the monetary base).

Not true.  USD inflation is $85B or 3% per month.  The future is determined by the. FOMC.  While BTC inflation is 1% per month and dropping.  Yes, this is monetary inflation.  Look up QE4.
M1 though... but good point.
mr chong

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 06:37:46 PM

I know I have never bought bitcoins off an exchange, all my buys come from buying off of other people and I know I am not alone, more and more coins everyday are being traded between people and not showing up on the exchanges.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 06:41:18 PM

As someone has pointed out, there are other places moving large amounts of bitcoin which we can't see on Gox's volume, or anywhere for that matter.

Also, more people using Bitcoin entirely within the Bitcoin economy won't show up on Gox's volume either.

Finally, APPL.

See that little hump around 1988?  Yeah, that was the 2011 Bitcoin "bubble".  Tongue

Also, why is that chart so weird?  The first 5 years is much larger than the other 5 year increments.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: