Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:16:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum Forums shutting down  (Read 2683 times)
Kalamsid

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 07:21:35 PM

Save $400 per month could be good for the future of the Ethereum development. So the price will also rise.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
prettybuds

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 08:00:38 PM

First time I hear that the forums are shutting down. Are you sure it's not just a temporary thing?
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 08:41:01 PM

Perhaps they are hoping for other platforms to take over the discussions in a more decentralized manner, spread over various channels. That being said I would have thought they'd rather transform their forums into a more advanced, better structured one to create space for improved discussions.

In general, Alt-specific forums are echo-chambers that do little to advance the Alt or platform...
And BitcoinTalk is now basically a complete waste of time... with marginal people spamming fantasy agendas, if not outright scams.

Ethereum is still 99% Devs, miners and speculators... most of whom were not using Ethereum Forums...
And frankly, the Forum fell between the cracks with (a) Devs on messaging platforms and (b) traders/potential end user types on reddit.

r/Ethereum... 11,800 readers...... 90 online
r/EthTrader...  3,900 readers...... 80 online

Let's compare reddit activity for other Top 10 Alts on a Sunday afternoon EST:

Bitcoin....... 174,000 readers.... 400 online
Litecoin........ 22,000 readers..... 15 online
Ripple............. 1328 readers....... 3 online
MAID................. 26 readers....... 3 online     
Dash............... 1553 readers...... 5 online
DOGE........... 78,000 readers...... 33 online
Bitshares..........1024 readers....... 4 online     
Monero............3222 readers...... 15 online
Factom...........  429.readers.......  7 online

So, in terms of actual mainstream reader activity on reddit...
One can argue that only BTC and ETH have broken out of the Crypto Ghetto (with ETH at roughly 30-40% of BTC activity).

InsideBjorn

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 10:04:13 PM

Trolls will be trolls. I think ethereum is still a good asset but way overprices. Give it some time and this will blow away.
Remember that eth is quite hot so people will fud big time for minor things.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 10:52:33 PM

So, in terms of actual mainstream reader activity on reddit...
One can argue that only BTC and ETH have broken out of the Crypto Ghetto (with ETH at roughly 30-40% of BTC activity).

Eth is infested by a bunch of ex-android developers that thought they would get rich by being the first to get an alarm clock app out the door of the Ethereum "app store".  Most of those people don't know, don't care, or don't understand the system that keeps the actual VM afloat isn't viable.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
classicsucks (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 10:25:26 AM

I suspect the underlying reason for shutting down their own forums, may have something to do with wanting to escape from allegations of being in control of the due diligence process for investors. I suspect they are starting to feel the dark clouds of the insoluble reality of the Ethereum Paradox thread and potential price manipulation allegations bearing down on them, and they may be starting to prepare for the potential lawsuits and possibly even regulatory actions if the entire project ends up a bust.

That's an interesting angle I hadn't thought of. Wouldn't closing the forum accelerate their demise?

As for my personal thoughts on ETH, I regard it as a long game pump-n-dump coin. The Wall Street investor dickheads are too arrogant to admit that they really don't understand the concepts behind Ethereum. For that matter, I doubt they really care what the concepts are if people are BUYING at higher prices... greater fool theory...

Vitalik and a lot of his nerds ARE smart, and they believe in their concepts, but they don't realize that they are TOO SOON, and only marginally useful at that.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 10:37:24 AM

well i don't think has to do with the price, yes there was a dump, but it is still above 0.02

probably just a whale cashing out, because he is satisfied with the profit he made
classicsucks (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 07:05:24 PM

More bad press for ETH:

Valid points about Turing completeness not necessarily being good:
http://www.coindesk.com/turing-complete-smart-contracts/

Some misunderstanding about blockchains, but also some valid critiques:
http://www.coindesk.com/three-smart-contract-misconceptions/

Soon we'll learn that "the emperor wears no clothes"...
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 08:28:22 PM

Vitalik and a lot of his nerds ARE smart, and they believe in their concepts, but they don't realize that they are TOO SOON, and only marginally useful at that.

They are smart at math. But they lack understanding of what is practical and the way the software development business actually works, because they came straight from school to a "dream job" where they can play on fantasies all day.

Moneroman88

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 08:34:14 PM

They are smart at math. But they lack understanding of what is practical and the way the software development business actually works, because they came straight from school to a "dream job" where they can play on fantasies all day.

They did have the guidance of Charles Hoskinson as far as I recall, he was the one who made all of the connections possible and set them up in Switzerland in the first place.   That doesn't mean I personally hold low opinion of Mr. Buterin et al., however.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2016, 10:19:18 PM

More bad press for ETH:

interesting!

ProfessionalGoogler

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 11:25:57 PM

More bad press for ETH:

The author misses the entire point, seems you fell for more FUD about what smart contracts can and cannot do.  Roll Eyes
ilia7777

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 12:30:15 PM

If Ethereum forum will be shut down people will simply move here and continue talking in Ethereum threads. Its a stupid idea to shut it down to begin with. For me the forum was good on getting up to speed with mining. But after a month I realized that its a futile exercise and my prediction is that its going to be over in 3-4 months https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/33280#Comment_33280

Right now there is nothing to talk about.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2016, 03:51:15 PM

Hmmm...after running this news 'round and 'round my creaky brain, I figgered that it signals a pivot. The Ethereum team seems to have decided that Ethereum is going to be the infrastructure backbone of "Internet 3.0", a cryptocurrency answer to TCP/IP. In other words, Ethereum itself will run in the background and ordinary folks will use it indirectly a la Augur.

Fact is, building the infrastructure of the original Internet was not a grass-roots effort. The grass-roots efforts in the early days centered around providing content for it. The folks who "built the Internet" content-wise did have to master early HTML and even some now-obscure languages like Perl, but the bulk of them knew very little above and beyond HTTP protocols when it came to the underlying "guts" of the Net.

Let me put it this way: there are lots of folks who can throw up a new Website in raw HTML5/CSS/JS, but there are very few folks who could put together a new browser. There are also very few folks who could throw together an "intranet" that would have the same functionality of the Internet itself. The grassroots part is still confined to providing content, in all its forms.

Crypto-wise, the best parallel is to '11 when Mike Hearn made the decision to sell Bitcoin to lawmakers and regulators on the grounds of its transparent ledger. He doing so caused the hardcore libertarians to howl about him selling out Bitcoin's original mission. 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 04:04:49 PM

Hmmm...after running this news 'round and 'round my creaky brain, I figgered that it signals a pivot. The Ethereum team seems to have decided that Ethereum is going to be the infrastructure backbone of "Internet 3.0", a cryptocurrency answer to TCP/IP. In other words, Ethereum itself will run in the background and ordinary folks will use it indirectly a la Augur.

Fact is, building the infrastructure of the original Internet was not a grass-roots effort. The grass-roots efforts in the early days centered around providing content for it. The folks who "built the Internet" content-wise did have to master early HTML and even some now-obscure languages like Perl, but the bulk of them knew very little above and beyond HTTP protocols when it came to the underlying "guts" of the Net.

Let me put it this way: there are lots of folks who can throw up a new Website in raw HTML5/CSS/JS, but there are very few folks who could put together a new browser. There are also very few folks who could throw together an "intranet" that would have the same functionality of the Internet itself. The grassroots part is still confined to providing content, in all its forms.

Crypto-wise, the best parallel is to '11 when Mike Hearn made the decision to sell Bitcoin to lawmakers and regulators on the grounds of its transparent ledger. He doing so caused the hardcore libertarians to howl about him selling out Bitcoin's original mission. 

This is so stupid.  I like Ethereum (I was a big presale buyer).  But it's not "Web 3.0".

It has the processing power of a 2004 smartphone.  It's a consensus mechanism - not an information distribution and interaction system.

Damn fedora wearing hipsters who live for buzzwords and make it a pain in the ass to figure out what's going on just to feel relevant.  If there's ever full blown anarchy like you guys think you want - I will hunt every last one of you down and force feed you your fedoras.
Kalamsid

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 11:31:45 AM

It has the processing power of a 2004 smartphone.  It's a consensus mechanism - not an information distribution and interaction system.

Cannot Ethereum use the computing power in the network to do the computing? So many GPUs are used.
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 12:55:40 PM

never did like the layout of that forum.. but what a vast resource base to be wiped out in the blink of an eye.

check into whatever you gotta while you still can.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 01:12:50 PM

My guess is they know they are about to get tons of hate, specially after Vitalik Buterin has sold 25% of his Ethereum stack in a move of what's obviously desperation (who buys this funding bullshit). I have seen this before, projects that when they get hate on their forums, simply shut down the forums, they don't even bother with even censoring anymore.
Kalamsid

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 01:40:00 PM

I heard that the Ethereum Foundation is going to keep the forum open. So that is good for the community.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 06:47:03 PM

Eth is infested by a bunch of ex-android developers that thought they would get rich by being the first to get an alarm clock app out the door of the Ethereum "app store".  Most of those people don't know, don't care, or don't understand the system that keeps the actual VM afloat isn't viable.

i may butt heads with r0ach
but he does have an eloquent way of presenting briefs on various projects Cool

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███