Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:32:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: France Is Planning To Prohibit Cash Payments Over €1,000  (Read 6237 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 10:22:13 PM

just look at Greece, Spain and Italy, all these economies have gone into a serious tail-spin since cash transactions became restricted
Nah, at least for Italy i can safely say that our economy (or better, our politic class) was failing even before that. Our problems aren't caused by this restriction.
Yeah, of course this restriction is not helping anyone. But our troubles are not caused by that

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 10:36:01 PM

just look at Greece, Spain and Italy, all these economies have gone into a serious tail-spin since cash transactions became restricted
Nah, at least for Italy i can safely say that our economy (or better, our politic class) was failing even before that. Our problems aren't caused by this restriction.
Yeah, of course this restriction is not helping anyone. But our troubles are not caused by that

"Looks like the house is on fire!"
"I've an idea! Douse it with petrol!"
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 11:30:23 PM

That's true  Cheesy

Driice

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 11:36:14 PM

The idiocy of governments never ceases to amaze me. Undecided
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 11:38:55 PM

"Looks like the house economy is on fire!"
"I've an idea! Douse it with petrol paper money!"

FTFY  Cheesy

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 11:42:56 PM

In lands as France, Italy, Spain of Greece people don't trust governmants and governments don't trust people....

Regards, Inge

oh geezuz.
Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 12:12:18 AM

The video description discusses 6% of world exports.  I always wondered where the world exports to.   Huh

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
Kempelen

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:45:33 AM

Yeah, go try USA health system and then post again, if you managed to pay the insurance and you didn't die because you are poor and you could not pay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrQq6yc_2w
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:15:00 AM

This could be good news for all my French friends over at Bitcoin Central.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2013/02/14/france-plans-to-prohibit-cash-payments-over-e1000/

Sometimes I wonder what kinds of goons run france, first they want google to pay for linking to french newspapers, and now this... Oh my god...
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:08:52 AM

Well i also heard that they want to take the €500,- euro bill out of roulation, the reason was, that this only used by criminals and crime related transactions ...WTF.. !!!

They are also coveted by trackers.</shameless_plug>
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:18:14 AM

Theres a global propaganda campaign underway to demonise cash usage. They are clearly planning to ban cash completely, in the future.

The United Nations are running this video on Bloomberg TV at neary every ad break. Its a ridiculous attempt to associate cash usage, with drugs, terrorism and even child prostitution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n61uTEBrwjU

I thought this was going to be one of those ultra-right-wing American conspiracy theories when I read that description, but sure enough, that's exactly what the video is!

I doubt they actually set out to make an advert that subliminally demonizes cash. Rather, someone at an ad agency was given the brief "international organized crime, let's put them out of business" and remembered watching Lord Of War. The camera attached to the note that makes its way to an arms dealer is very Lord Of War-esque. But then again, they clearly signed off on it.

Still, people working in the drugs are not economists or online traders. In the perfect world everyone would carefully research and consider all sides of every issue that affects them. In reality that's never going to happen (how many of us are experts on the international arms trade?) so I'd not expect them to consider the impact of demonizing cash very much.
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:00:45 AM

It's not enough to say "tax evasion is high". A good government should:

1) Prove it with data.
2) Show that the area where evasion is high, is actually a significant contributor to overall tax revenues.
3) Provide a convincing calculation of the costs of implementing the proposal.
4) Show that the revenue gained is significantly higher than the costs.

In this case I am skeptical they're doing any such calculations.

dude. it's the government.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:31:34 AM

Theres a global propaganda campaign underway to demonise cash usage. They are clearly planning to ban cash completely, in the future.

I thought this was going to be one of those ultra-right-wing American conspiracy theories when I read that description, but sure enough, that's exactly what the video is!

It is said that if one does not believe in hell, one cannot go there.  I wonder if a similar principle applies to conspiracies?

It probably is a fact that if/when all economic transactions are PII it will reduce 'crime' by a fair bit.  At least among us proles...or outer members as the case may be.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 11:49:21 AM

A note about taxes: in europe we have a decent public health system

You're trolling right? French health care, for the least, is a catastrophe. I've experienced it first hand. My family too.
You may have had a bad experience but for all I know it's still much better than most places. Simply look at average life expectancy. Health care is not where improvements are needed most in France: bloated banking bureaucracy is where something can be spared.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:26:01 PM

This is the same as FDIC, they are trying to prevent people from withdraw large sum of money, since banks are all empty now Wink

ancore

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:06:33 PM

I tend to agree, atleast in the EU. I get the feeling that some circles would actually make it happen today if they could. Yet at the same time I can't believe that they would outright ban it, since there are still a lot of people who have no real alternative to using cash. Also cash transactions still make up the bulk of number of transactions or is this no longer true in the EU (I've read a recent paper from the canadian central bank about it)

This video amazes, I had no idea it was this bad already

I doubt they actually set out to make an advert that subliminally demonizes cash. Rather, someone at an ad agency was given the brief "international organized crime, let's put them out of business" and remembered watching Lord Of War. The camera attached to the note that makes its way to an arms dealer is very Lord Of War-esque. But then again, they clearly signed off on it.

Are you sure? have you read the ECB paper on virtual currencies, to me it was clear they were putting bitcoin and cash in the same place when it comes to the things in the video. It could be again like you say just an employee of the ECB who thinks such.
Also look at some of the government proposals, in Belgium they had one to prohibit employers to pay their workforce in cash for example
I thought the banknotes where the star of the add

slightly off topic if cash gets banned, won't this hurt bitcoin's anonimity?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 12:45:27 AM

I tend to agree, atleast in the EU. I get the feeling that some circles would actually make it happen today if they could. Yet at the same time I can't believe that they would outright ban it, since there are still a lot of people who have no real alternative to using cash. Also cash transactions still make up the bulk of number of transactions or is this no longer true in the EU (I've read a recent paper from the canadian central bank about it)

This video amazes, I had no idea it was this bad already

Actually it would be doing the backward poor people who don't have alternatives to cash a favor to issue them debit cards and even to re-charge them from time to time in order to help them survive.  Doing so will also protect the rest of us from the ill effects of the vices that permeate the existence of these folks.

I don't know about other 'developed' countries, but I am sure that the message will be well received and highly resonant in the fat middle of the United States population.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 01:03:28 AM

Actually it would be doing the backward poor people who don't have alternatives to cash a favor to issue them debit cards and even to re-charge them from time to time in order to help them survive.  Doing so will also protect the rest of us from the ill effects of the vices that permeate the existence of these folks.

I don't know about other 'developed' countries, but I am sure that the message will be well received and highly resonant in the fat middle of the United States population.

What the fuck do you mean by that?

Do you work for JP morgan or Mastercard by any chance?

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 01:45:21 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2013, 01:57:15 AM by tvbcof

Actually it would be doing the backward poor people who don't have alternatives to cash a favor to issue them debit cards and even to re-charge them from time to time in order to help them survive.  Doing so will also protect the rest of us from the ill effects of the vices that permeate the existence of these folks.

What the fuck do you mean by that?

I don't write in a way that everyone can easily understand, but a certain percentage of those here could probably figure it out.  If they've not figured it out for themselves already.

Do you work for JP morgan or Mastercard by any chance?

Nope.  I observe and comment.  It brings me pleasure so I'll continue as long as it is possible and not completely unsafe to my health and welfare.

---

Edit: add following observation by Goring which I've always liked.  It's about war, but is just as applicable to the (likely) attempt to get rid of cash:

"...But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship."

...Interviewer mentions people's power of will in a Democracy...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

vdragon

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 01:52:32 AM

This could be good news for all my French friends over at Bitcoin Central.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2013/02/14/france-plans-to-prohibit-cash-payments-over-e1000/

Well the whole world is turning against cash. But, people like the feelinf of money  Roll Eyes

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: