Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:25:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Both AMD and NVIDIA together?  (Read 6283 times)
Synaptic (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:47:58 AM

Hello all,

Glad to be a new part of the bitcoin world.

My current system is 1x 5770 and 1x 5830, non Crossfire. I also have a my NVIDIA card that was replaced by the AMD's.

My question is, is there any way for me to plug in my NVIDIA card into my third PCI-e slot and use it to mine as well?

I have already tried and when I installed the NVIDIA drivers it broke OpenCL and guiminer could no longer see my AMD cards.

I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten this to work...

Also, damn this OpenCL bug pegging cores.  I hope everyone affected has notified AMD of their folly!

Thanks everyone!

~ Synaptic

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:51:29 AM

Well this is all based on the motherboard. For example Hydra motherboards support mix and matching both ATI and Nvidia cards. But on a general basis no you can't the drivers conflict.

BTW you should probably direct your question to the Technical Support Forum next time.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:56:29 AM

Well this is all based on the motherboard. For example Hydra motherboards support mix and matching both ATI and Nvidia cards. But on a general basis no you can't the drivers conflict.

BTW you should probably direct your question to the Technical Support Forum next time.

Roger, will post in Tech Support next time.

I have an MSI 890FXA-GD70, which seems to be popular with miners (I assume becaus eof the PCI-e slots), is this motherboard Hydra compatible?  I see nothing in the manual about it, but these manuals are always poor documentation.
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:59:46 AM

I doubt it. Hydra is kind of a gimmick. It's on very few motherboards and they are usually labeled.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:00:59 AM

Hydra is a special chip and requires drivers, it's a fairly high-end feature and not supported on that motherboard.

Both nVidia and AMD have been accused of disabling CUDA/Physx/OpenCL/ whatever else when "other vendors" are present.

Look for custom "Hybrid" Nvidia drivers on Google that enable Physx Support, likely those drivers will also allow the card to be used for CUDA mining.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:15:16 AM

Eh, not worth the headache and loss in bitcoin revenue while trying to get it to work.  I already spend about 4 hours total messing with my machine trying to get my NVIDIA card to work, and in what entire time I lost out on 480 Mhash/s of mining, 4 hours...gone.  Wasn't worth it!

It DID see the card, and there was a video signal from it, but it was just the screwed up OpenCL that sealed the deal.

It was a pithy little card anyway, only got roughly 28-30 Mhash/s out of it, but every bit could help. Smiley

Thanks.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:21:44 AM

Hello all,

Glad to be a new part of the bitcoin world.

My current system is 1x 5770 and 1x 5830, non Crossfire. I also have a my NVIDIA card that was replaced by the AMD's.

My question is, is there any way for me to plug in my NVIDIA card into my third PCI-e slot and use it to mine as well?

I have already tried and when I installed the NVIDIA drivers it broke OpenCL and guiminer could no longer see my AMD cards.

I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten this to work...

Also, damn this OpenCL bug pegging cores.  I hope everyone affected has notified AMD of their folly!

I have an easier solution for you. Sell you NVIDIA card on ebay and buy another ATI card instead. This would make your life much much easier if you are a bitcoin miner.

-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: