Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:55:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SECURITY, Have you been a victim? How safe are your bitcoins?  (Read 1690 times)
CasioK

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 07:11:21 PM

I think of my wallet as just another computer file. So I keep it safe by:

1. keeping the overwhelming majority of my coins offline always. I keep a small amount on my phone for daily spending, an amount less than the value of the phone.

2. I only use Linux for transferring any larger amount or reloading the phone.  Windows is out of the question for me. I use open source tools that I compile myself. It's freekin crazy to just download some bitcoin related software to a winxx computer.

3. Keep the back-up "real world" safe! If you want a copy of my wallet file you can find it in my safe deposit box at the bank.

4. trust no one. Satoshi gave us trustless cash for a reason.
Your practices are really amazing.

But I have simple suggestion who live in village of developing countries :
Use a Desktop wallet,keep it safe from virus and unauthorized access. Keep the private key safe and then no one will ever able to hack it.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 07:37:48 PM

Nope. Cold wallets in the main. I keep peanuts on Mycelium and don't particularly care what happens to that. Nothing has so far. I gave up blockchain.info as I couldn't trust my own machines.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 08:14:41 PM

# Update your AV software

The other advice was good, but the above is sort of a myth: well designed operating software doesn't need "anti-virus", the virus thing was just a symptom of the Microsoft software culture i.e. why bother fixing OS vulnerabilities when you can start an "anti-exploit software" industry all of it's own. A load of BS word-salad garbage, designed to fleece the consumer, in other words.

Vires in numeris
SanaButt

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 04:59:25 PM

So far I have been lucky enough to not become victim of any hack but just being lucky is not it, I take all the security measures to ensure my money remains safe and I think unless one becomes too careless, keeping your coins safe is not that big of a challenge and I am not talking about investing in hardware wallets, even the biggest volume of coins can be kept safe free if one knows how to.

But having said that, if you're running a service of some sort then it is a little different since you would then be dependent on some of your employees who may end up stealing themselves, as most recently happened with shapeshift.

I have another safe option. Use Bread wallet. Keep the private key safe. Now transfer funds to your wallet.
Now uninstall it from iPhone. You're safe for sure.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~1440 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
27QVUTZj8rgZP1

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 05:40:29 PM

If you are really serious about security, first step is to avoid Windows. It is very, very weak and has a pile of vulnerabilities.

I had people "invading" my Windows OS and planting/modifying shortcuts without my consent. All I had to do was to connect to internet for that to happen.

Now, I use a Linux based operating system where no one can modify a thing as easy. Downloading external programs can be completely avoided if I wanted, on Windows they can be executed as soon as the download has finished (imagine if you authorized the download by accident).

There are no safe or idiot proof tips when you are using Windows. Then I won't waste my time giving you tips.

But if you use a Linux based operating system (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) then all you should care about probably is:
  1.Avoid downloading programs from external sites, if you do make sure it is from a trusted source.
  2.Do not install countless extensions in your browser (install only what is absolutely necessary and if they're trusted), do not install modified browsers unless you know what you are doing.
  3.Do not install remote desktop client, if you do make sure your password is strong enough and shutdown the server when it is not needed.
  4.Use a decent password for both your root and user account, preferably different. Disable/Uninstall SSH server if it is not needed.
  5.Do not install or run any command someone told you on forum, chat, or whatever unless you are sure those commands are not evil.
  6.Backup your wallet regularly, use a password manager to make accounts with random and strong passwords and backup often and when needed. Do not repeat passwords across sites.
  7.Keep both local and online backups of critical files, make sure your backup is encrypted so only you can access it in case they are stolen. You never know when a natural disaster will occur and wipe your house.
  8.Avoid doing things via smartphone.

By following those simple rules I believe you are pretty safe and can sleep well at night.

I never lost a single penny to outside attacks using a Linux based operating system and by following simple rules above.

Bitcoin address: 1RepentJESUSisComingSoon777kqd54C

And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. - Revelation 22:12
QuestionQuest

Activity: 263
Merit: 131

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 05:51:11 PM

If you are really serious about security, first step is to avoid Windows. It is very, very weak and has a pile of vulnerabilities.

I had people "invading" my Windows OS and planting/modifying shortcuts without my consent. All I had to do was to connect to internet for that to happen.

Now, I use a Linux based operating system where no one can modify a thing as easy. Downloading external programs can be completely avoided if I wanted, on Windows they can be executed as soon as the download has finished (imagine if you authorized the download by accident).

There are no safe or idiot proof tips when you are using Windows. Then I won't waste my time giving you tips.

But if you use a Linux based operating system (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) then all you should care about probably is:
  1.Avoid downloading programs from external sites, if you do make sure it is from a trusted source.
  2.Do not install countless extensions in your browser (install only what is absolutely necessary and if they're trusted), do not install modified browsers unless you know what you are doing.
  3.Do not install remote desktop client, if you do make sure your password is strong enough and shutdown the server when it is not needed.
  4.Use a decent password for both your root and user account, preferably different. Disable/Uninstall SSH server if it is not needed.
  5.Do not install or run any command someone told you on forum, chat, or whatever unless you are sure those commands are not evil.
  6.Backup your wallet regularly, use a password manager to make accounts with random and strong passwords and backup often and when needed. Do not repeat passwords across sites.
  7.Keep both local and online backups of critical files, make sure your backup is encrypted so only you can access it in case they are stolen. You never know when a natural disaster will occur and wipe your house.
  8.Avoid doing things via smartphone.

By following those simple rules I believe you are pretty safe and can sleep well at night.

I never lost a single penny to outside attacks using a Linux based operating system and by following simple rules above.

Yes. *nix or *nux is best for it.
But not all are in running some debian/ubuntu - even not in a desktop mode!  Cool
(dont use S.U.s.E. - all I have to say about this...)

Anyways.
Run a multi-signature wallet - even the easy Electrum wallet can with the portable version!
You always will need n+1 keys (how much you want) but dont forget - if the rule is 2/3 then you need 2 of those keys or you never can open your own wallet again.

Best would be to use a hardware wallet (cold wallet) with verification on button press or touchpad for the big money.
And use a small wallet for collecting bitcoin (and transfering it to the big wallet) and load up the small wallet (electrum for example) on windows only with what you want to spend.

And maybe try MultiBitHD - I was not fine with it on windows but it has additional security features against some other wallets.

### S9 13.5/14T (RIP) ### DragonMint 16T (DEVIL) --> Bitmain and Innosilicon (HAIL TO!) ###
wikenpp

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:35:39 PM

With the introduction of 2FA things got a lot better for the average user. We are not there but honestly i feel quite safe that a hacker needs to hack both my mail, account and phone to get to my money.
StoreBit

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:08:50 PM

Thanks God, currently I am full safe , no one has tried to attack me till now, But I am afraiding, as there are a lot of people who are well expert in the field of bitcoin and they got hacked.
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:27:01 PM

I do agree that Linux is relatively more safer than Windows OS but it's for more tech-savvy people that are not afraid to work with command line. I know that graphical environments for Linux have advanced a lot but still it's not for the average joe to fiddle with settings and modifications every other day to get things to work when with Windows 10 everything is ready right out of the box. And if you are a gamer you will have a hard time trying to run games on that. I think if you are serious with upping your online security you could dual-boot Linux and Windows on the same machine. Windows for your daily work and Linux when you are dealing with sensitive information prone to attack.

QuestionQuest

Activity: 263
Merit: 131

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 09:41:49 AM

I do agree that Linux is relatively more safer than Windows OS but it's for more tech-savvy people that are not afraid to work with command line. I know that graphical environments for Linux have advanced a lot but still it's not for the average joe to fiddle with settings and modifications every other day to get things to work when with Windows 10 everything is ready right out of the box. And if you are a gamer you will have a hard time trying to run games on that. I think if you are serious with upping your online security you could dual-boot Linux and Windows on the same machine. Windows for your daily work and Linux when you are dealing with sensitive information prone to attack.

You are right but I see the normal windows user running in problems and loosing all data on their first try with any Linux, but again I suggest for windows the portable electrum and for linux you do this:

sudo apt-get install python-qt4 python-pip
and
sudo pip install https://download.electrum.org/2.6.4/Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz

and have fun with a handy small good working wallet.

I didnt tested the OSX app yet - I dont like 2/3 apple signs on my machines Wink
And no time or need for the android app - but I will test it soon.

Use electrum for the daily fun / needs with smaller amounts.

As Multisginature wallet you even can configure complexe rules, but in a very easy way.
For a club, clan, community, household etc. - shared money etc.

### S9 13.5/14T (RIP) ### DragonMint 16T (DEVIL) --> Bitmain and Innosilicon (HAIL TO!) ###
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: