Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:40:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bounced money order, advice?  (Read 586 times)
saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:09:04 AM

so, i bought a money order from a currency exchange with cash so i could pay rent with it.  1 month later...

landlord's bank sent back with NSF saying the currency exchange's account is frozen.  i went back to the currency exchange to see what's up and it appears to be closed and out of business.  i do have the receipt.  is there any recourse i can take or am i just screwed?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:16:26 AM

More information.  Where are you located?  I'm guessing this wasn't a major, well-known currency exchange so there's a very good chance that you're screwed unless they operated under some kind of licence which had an insurance requirement (you'd still be screwed in the short term but might eventually get your money back in that case).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:34:37 AM

More information.  Where are you located?  I'm guessing this wasn't a major, well-known currency exchange so there's a very good chance that you're screwed unless they operated under some kind of licence which had an insurance requirement (you'd still be screwed in the short term but might eventually get your money back in that case).

chicago.  it was an independent neighborhood currency exchange, one of these: http://www.mycurrencyexchange.com

going to try contacting that company tomorrow.  thanks for the help

Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:40:42 AM

Ask a lawyer, suggest a wallet.

In Cryptography we trust.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: